Sponsored

Squatch tire pressure based on real world miles?

Deleted member 3063

On 2 different F 150‘s and one 2006 Jeep I found the wet traction terrible, they cupped horribly even with 3,000 mile rotations, and the compound was very soft so life sucked. I haven’t had any experience in the last 5 years, so maybe these will be better.
thought maybe it was just me but I've experienced much the same on several sets of goodyear tires. thanks.
Sponsored

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone tried with the stock wheels/rims to see what an appropriate range of pressures is offroad? I'm curious what the low end is for not busting the bead. I watched some of the Ford videos and it is obvious they are running them fairly low, but no clue what types of pressures the rims/tires can handle safely since they don't really address that.

OP
OP
KnoxGnater

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone tried with the stock wheels/rims to see what an appropriate range of pressures is offroad? I'm curious what the low end is for not busting the bead. I watched some of the Ford videos and it is obvious they are running them fairly low, but no clue what types of pressures the rims/tires can handle safely since they don't really address that.
I've seen some posts on here at 15-18 PSI, but don't have actual experience to share. Trail conditions would obviously be a big factor. Given the crazy capability of these things, I'd rather be a little higher and not risk a blow out.

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My tire pressures at the Off-Roadeo were set at 24-25psi.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you want to have the correct tire pressure for maximum tread life then don't use the gauge as anything more than a guideline. Squat down and take a look at the tire contact patch. If the tread is sitting flat on the ground you are at the correct pressure for the current load. If the edges are curled up you have too much pressure. If the centre is pushed up your pressure is too low.

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It really depends on the tire, the terrain and your driving style. A good all around pressure is in the 12-15 psi range. For the most part, you shouldn't even need beadlocks at these pressures.

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great info, thanks. I know it is gonna vary based on condition and driving, I was just looking for an expected safe range with the rims/tires. I wasn't sure how well these wheels would retain the bead compared to something aftermarket.

OP
OP
KnoxGnater

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want to have the correct tire pressure for maximum tread life then don't use the gauge as anything more than a guideline. Squat down and take a look at the tire contact patch. If the tread is sitting flat on the ground you are at the correct pressure for the current load. If the edges are curled up you have too much pressure. If the centre is pushed up your pressure is too low.
Very true, especially when you factor in customizations people make to rigs. The door sticker is where Ford wants you to run to maximize fuel efficiency and support the payload claims. As you said, guidlines.

Folks new to this can google "tire chalk test" to see how the visual thing works. Also checking with your hand every couple hundred miles for cupping and uneven wear helps. You will need to rotate all 5 tires every 5-6 thousand miles to maximize life, noise, and wear them evenly.

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The weekend it arrived, we took a trip to the upper Peninsula here in Michigan. As soon as we crossed the bridge we ran into a white out snow storm so much of the driving was slow. I averaged 17.2 miles to the gallon. (2.7liter) On the way back the weather was better, I was light on the pedal 65-70 mpg. When we came back home the MPG was 17. I have been driving around town and it is still 17mph about 1200 miles now. I finally started going through some of the menus and noticed that the air pressure as delivered is 45lbs. Seemed high to me, so I wanted to look into thinking that a lower pressure would soften the ride a bit. (Although I am totally fine with the drive).

From the thread I think I will drop down to 40 and see what happens with both the ride and MPG.
I was curious if anyone else received tires filled to 45lbs.

35" sasquatched

Snowboarder777

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I noticed that the Goodyear Wrangler tires on the sasquatch has max tire pressure of 35 psi cold and Ford recommends 39 psi. Isn't that too high for these tires? It can cause uneven wear etc.
Sponsored