Sponsored

Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points)

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so I just stumbled across this thread - I have not read each post but it does seem this thread receives updates from the OP as well as other new posts with similar complaints
I will add my .02 as I have first hand knowledge of how these frames are built, shipped, and built into trucks

There are two identifiable types of "rust" in these pictures
1) in the weld seams. This is completely normal and unavoidable as the weld process generates pockets of silica islands. a normal part of welding. in fact those spots may not be rust at all as silica islands are brown . The paint used on the frame(known as ecoat) will not stick to silica. You would have to grind out(not sand) the entire pocket of silica for paint to adhere to it. this could potentially remove some of the weld you don't want to remove. Also The ecoat process is a very lengthy and way more durable process than even a properly applied POR15 product(POR15 is a fantastic product btw)
2) on the surface of the metal. This is likely due to material handling of the frame. This could happen in many locations, at the factory where he frame is produced, on the rail car when frame shipped from frame plant to Ford, or at Ford. Know this is just surface rust where tow motor forks have rubbed away a small portion of the ecoat. This is no different than if you drive down the road and get rock chips, or get the frame up against a rock offroad. You can touch up these areas if you wish, but this will be a never ending process and will not not impact the frame integrity one way or another.

Keep in mind all OEM's including Ford run vehicles thru durability testing including a salt spray test to validate the ability of the frame to hold up over time. in other words frames are going to get some rust on them.
Sponsored