Sponsored

Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points)

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
you are in California and you will not see anymore rust.

Got it — looks like everyone here is in favor of ignoring surface rust and waiting until it gets worse to do something about it 😂
Sponsored

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD, 2017 Ford Escape.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Picking up some POR-15 soon. Will sand away as much rust as I can see, degrease, and treat both sides sometime next week. Just annoyed it seems like these were caused by a two post lift.
Yea that would work also, I use a brass wire brush on mine so i dont remove factory coatings just the light rust. I have been using TSC implement paint for a long time so I have it just sitting on the shelf along with the rust transformer , keeps the 22 year truck in great shape .

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you are in California and you will not see anymore rust.
That’s the goal by sanding and coating it with fresh POR-15 — in my experience working on cars, once rust starts it never stops. Even getting wet with rain water would accelerate those little spots. Rather spent $20 now on some 400 grit and rust proofing and knock it out in two hours.

Ideally, this truck will be back and forth from Tahoe, Mammoth, Park City, Zion and Bryce a bunch. Just slightly annoyed by the scuffs causing surface rust before any of those trips.

Dave-O

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150/Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Was it last year? TFL and other publications made a huge deal about new Fords with surface rust on various underbody components . It’s nothing to worry about. Our 2017 F150 came just like that and nothing has gotten worse or caused problems

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was it last year? TFL and other publications made a huge deal about new Fords with surface rust on various underbody components . It’s nothing to worry about. Our 2017 F150 came just like that and nothing has gotten worse or caused problems
Rust on diffs, half-shafts/drive-shafts and the like doesn’t concern me whatsoever. I’m sure I’m overreacting about my first body-on-frame vehicle and finding frame rust. I’d much rather spend $20 now on prevention than watch it potentially grow.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd encourage you to go look under 10 random 2021 vehicles and let me know what you see...
That's one way to get arrested for suspicion of stealing catalytic converters, lol.

Dave-O

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150/Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Rust on diffs, half-shafts/drive-shafts and the like doesn’t concern me whatsoever. I’m sure I’m overreacting about my first body-on-frame vehicle and finding frame rust. I’d much rather spend $20 now on prevention than watch it potentially grow.
I keep forgetting that not everyone lives in the south away from road salts

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I keep forgetting that not everyone lives in the south away from road salts
Shipped a car out from the east coast when I moved here a dozen years ago or so. The amount of money I’ve saved NOT buying PB Blaster since I sold that car is probably in the hundreds at this point 😂 I think I used an entire can just to drop the subframe and get to my control arm bushings.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks to me like (Fe2O3·nH2O) and (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3). If it was me, I'd get it checked out ASAP.
there’s no NaCl on my roads, but thankfully there’s plenty in my threads! 😂

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This too can happen to you😁
Ford Bronco Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points) D4680A47-DB36-463B-AF9B-DBCDFE6A8991
I hate that I know exactly what video this is from. Fatal dose of cringe in under 60 seconds.

Jhopkinson

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX 4dr SAS, 22 Base 2dr SAS, 2021 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just coat the undercarriage Fluid Film or Stabil Rust Stopper once a year. It will last forever.

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If this bothers you then you are not going to enjoy your bronco.
Come on, that's a facile argument.

This looks like a build quality or QC issue. You shouldn't expect a 60k SUV to be built like shit just because it's intended for off road use; quite the opposite.

The Bronco is a crazy fun vehicle, but it's very poorly made compared to my Tacoma TRD Pro, which has more than held its own against Wrangler Rubicons on trails here in Texas. I hope Ford irons out many of these issues in the coming months or maybe model years. There's no reason you shouldn't expect to be able to keep your ride for ten or more years if you want.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Don’t buy one,

And in 2022 the Tacoma Trd still uses rear drum brakes. WTF!

Come on, that's a facile argument.

This looks like a build quality or QC issue. You shouldn't expect a 60k SUV to be built like shit just because it's intended for off road use; quite the opposite.

The Bronco is a crazy fun vehicle, but it's very poorly made compared to my Tacoma TRD Pro, which has more than held its own against Wrangler Rubicons on trails here in Texas. I hope Ford irons out many of these issues in the coming months or maybe model years. There's no reason you shouldn't expect to be able to keep your ride for ten or more years if you want.
Sponsored