ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just curious of you input on the setup I am going to do.

I have added a fabfours stubby and winch, effectively putting an extra ~125lb over the front axle. Dropped the front end almost 1/2"

I have some 4 door black diamond takeoffs coilvovers/springs. There is a difference of 180lbs between the 2 door and 4 door so that should theoretically accommodate the new weight difference since the springs rates are different.

I have a 1" level kit and looks like I could do just 1/2" instead. not really sure which one I should do here honestly.

Let me know your thoughts on this.
Ford Bronco Suspension/Level Kit questions/opinions 1650315452455
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Without knowing the spring "weights" of both options, you are guessing. You know that the 2-door springs are too soft but do not know the weight/strength. You are assuming that the 4-door springs are stronger but you don't know by how much. I would need to know the weight/strength of both before I made the change. Keep in mind that when you raise the front you transfer weight to the rear. You may also need to upgrade the rear springs as well.

OP
OP
ChompSticks

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Without knowing the spring "weights" of both options, you are guessing. You know that the 2-door springs are too soft but do not know the weight/strength. You are assuming that the 4-door springs are stronger but you don't know by how much. I would need to know the weight/strength of both before I made the change. Keep in mind that when you raise the front you transfer weight to the rear. You may also need to upgrade the rear springs as well.
Yup that’s the only thing is the unknown. Also with the weight way up past the front axle the effective weight on the front axle is actually a little more than 125lbs that was added.

I am definitely taking a stab in the dark trying this out, but I feel this would be a better solution than just a level kit on its own given the added load up front.

The only known factors are that the
1. part numbers are different on the springs
2. The 4 door trim is 238lbs with front bias being 182lbs.

Suppose I’ll just try it and see how it feels. Could always go to a trim with slightly heavier since oem takeoffs are pretty cheap. At the moment I can almost do a brake stand so something needs to change

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Without a doubt a spring change for the added weight is the way to go. A level kit is a bad idea. On my FJ (going from memory 10 years ago) I added an ARB bumper and winch. About a 200lb increase in weight. The factory springs were 500lb and I went up to 650lb and is was perfect. I am guessing that the Bronco will require a similar increase on the springs.

OP
OP
ChompSticks

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Without a doubt a spring change for the added weight is the way to go. A level kit is a bad idea. On my FJ (going from memory 10 years ago) I added an ARB bumper and winch. About a 200lb increase in weight. The factory springs were 500lb and I went up to 650lb and is was perfect. I am guessing that the Bronco will require a similar increase on the springs.
I’m not 100% for level kits so I’m doing the smallest I can do. In conjunction with the 4 door springs. I wish we knew spring rates. That would be the easiest way. Thank you for the input though! Just going to hope that this works once! Haha

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChompSticks

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Silver-Bolt bolt

Installed 4 door black Diamond suspension along with part of Rough Country 1” level kit. The kit comes in 3 pieces so I effectively only added 2/3” and the other 1/3came from the new 4 door springs.

Stock height: just under 37”
With Bumper: Just under 36.5”
With 4 door suspension and level: Just under 37.3” (may still drop in a few days)

Overall driving dynamics improved, less dive on braking but still there. I think I’m going to try and find some V6 take offs instead. But this is a step in the right direction for getting stock height and driving characteristics back after adding the bumper. Front axle curb weight difference between the 2 and 4 door black Diamond manuals is 182lbs.

Some options I may try if I can get part numbers is. V6 black Diamond 2 door (same weight as 4 door manual black Diamond almost) or go all the way up to V6 4 door. I don’t know but it’s possible the V6 broncos may get significantly higher spring rates than the 4 cylinders, but who knows.
After/before photo

Ford Bronco Suspension/Level Kit questions/opinions DA424392-9DC7-46AC-8FFA-3BD61258C5E3

Last edited:

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Silver-Bolt bolt

Installed 4 door black Diamond suspension along with part of Rough Country 1” level kit. The kit comes in 3 pieces so I effectively only added 2/3” and the other 1/3came from the new 4 door springs.

Stock height: just under 37”
With Bumper: Just under 36.5”
With 4 door suspension and level: Just under 37.3” (may still drop in a few days)

Overall driving dynamics improved, less dive on braking but still there. I think I’m going to try and find some V6 take offs instead. But this is a step in the right direction for getting stock height and driving characteristics back after adding the bumper. Front axle curb weight difference between the 2 and 4 door black Diamond manuals is 182lbs.

Some options I may try if I can get part numbers is. V6 black Diamond 2 door (same weight as 4 door manual black Diamond almost) or go all the way up to V6 4 door. I don’t know but it’s possible the V6 broncos may get significantly higher spring rates than the 4 cylinders, but who knows.
After/before photo

Ford Bronco Suspension/Level Kit questions/opinions DA424392-9DC7-46AC-8FFA-3BD61258C5E3
The stance/ride height looks good. Just a little heavier spring rate and you should be dialed in.
Sponsored