Sponsored

Tailgate support/brace real life question -- actually beneficial?

Santos

Badlands
First Name
Santo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977F100:1970 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those that have installed a brace; is it actually beneficial to have one? My personal plan is to use a spare tire shelf to haul more. Are the hinges the new weak spot after install? Has anyone had an adverse affect?
Sponsored

RUZ

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150, 2020 QX80
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just installed the Hammer Built support last night. Driving today I noticed fewer rattles coming from the back, and the tailgate feels more solid.

Graham1911

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really had planned to use one of these. Looked at Hammer Built, Rough Country and a couple others. I read somewhere that the hinges were rated for 300lbs. Not sure aluminum tailgate can handle it even with bracket. I am putting 37s with a high lift jack. No plans for anything else but what if I change my mind. I might want to add a Jerry Can or who knows what else in the future. Money is always a concern when it comes to adding options. When you add the cost of reinforcement plate, jack mount, tail light riser, etc. your in for several hundred bucks. I am replacing rear bumper anyway so I went ahead, bit the bullet and ordered the Expedition One rear bumper with tire carrier and horizontal jack mount. They have 25% off until end of month with code BLACK22. The whole set up is less than $2000 and comes with camera relocate, tail light riser and license plate bracket. I am going to use the DV8 license plate mount for left side tailgate so I won't be using the included bracket. If I was keeping stock bumper it might not have made sense. With that not being the case, I think this will be a great option. As a side note, the bumper and tire carrier weigh about 130lbs. Much lighter than some of the others I looked at. I am adding three inch lift and adding bumper and winch to front. This should balance everything out. I I have Badlands SAS on order. Hope this gives you some ideas.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For those that have installed a brace; is it actually beneficial to have one? My personal plan is to use a spare tire shelf to haul more. Are the hinges the new weak spot after install? Has anyone had an adverse affect?
It definitely wouldn't hurt to get one, and all I've heard is good reviews.

CptSamFalcon

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr BD, 2021 Kawasaki KLX300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It stiffened up my tailgate for sure. I loaded up my rear tire with a bike rack, two hardtails and couple traction boards and it was much better "feeling" with the Hammerbuilt reinforcement. I was also able to add a couple rotopax.

Sponsored

Yeti-X

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i ran a 37 inch tire with a relocate bracket with out the reinforcement on my jeep jk and it physically bent my tailgate. I then went ahead and bent everything back installed the reinforcement and upgrade structural hinges on the jk never another problem. So when I put 37's o n my Bronco I automatically added the reinforcement RC to my tailgate being that the tailgate is aluminum and not a steel unit like the JK

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go for a real reinforcement hinge upgrade like the RTR tailgate mount. There's another brand out there as well.

U13Roadster

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Anyone know the other brand? RTR is twice as expensive.

Graham1911

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I go back and forth on my plan. Rear bumper with a tire carrier or reinforcement bracket. High level this is how I see it.

Rear bump + tire carrier
Pros:
- removes weight front rear gate
- potential for Jerry can mount
- long term durability
Cons:
- weight
- cost
- limited options

Reinforcement brackets
Pros:
- Reduced weight
- cost
Cons:
- limited options
- weight still on tailgate hinges

Iā€™m curious to see Hammer Builtā€™s coming offering with their HD option designed around the Baptor hinges or their TBD own hinges. Iā€™m also very interested in JCRā€™s bracket.

To date, Iā€™ve yet to see a rear bumper with a tire carrier that checks all my boxes. However I look forward to seeing HeftyFabā€™s TBD option.

My 2Door has yet to arrive but itā€™s blend date is tomorrow. I plan to run Kenda KR601 37ā€™s so the tail carrier must be addressed.

At the moment weight management remains a priority so Iā€™m hopeful that a reinforcement bracket proves worthy.

Sponsored

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Anyone know the other brand? RTR is twice as expensive.
I went with @JcrOffroad reinforcement/relocation bracket. Itā€™s on sale for $279 during the month of November. 10-20 business day lead time though.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with @JcrOffroad reinforcement/relocation bracket. Itā€™s on sale for $279 during the month of November. 10-20 business day lead time though.
I look forward to your thoughts when it arrives. šŸ¤˜

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 BaseSAS / ā€˜21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went with @BAMF and their bracket and Iā€™m happy with it. Definitely less noise from the rear šŸ‘šŸ»

Graham1911

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I go back and forth on my plan. Rear bumper with a tire carrier or reinforcement bracket. High level this is how I see it.

Rear bump + tire carrier
Pros:
- removes weight front rear gate
- potential for Jerry can mount
- long term durability
Cons:
- weight
- cost
- limited options

Reinforcement brackets
Pros:
- Reduced weight
- cost
Cons:
- limited options
- weight still on tailgate hinges

Iā€™m curious to see Hammer Builtā€™s coming offering with their HD option designed around the Baptor hinges or their TBD own hinges. Iā€™m also very interested in JCRā€™s bracket.

To date, Iā€™ve yet to see a rear bumper with a tire carrier that checks all my boxes. However I look forward to seeing HeftyFabā€™s TBD option.

My 2Door has yet to arrive but itā€™s blend date is tomorrow. I plan to run Kenda KR601 37ā€™s so the tail carrier must be addressed.

At the moment weight management remains a priority so Iā€™m hopeful that a reinforcement bracket proves worthy.
Just ordered my Expedition One rear bumper and tire carrier. They are having 20% off for Black Friday using code BLACK22. I hated spending money but I was getting rear bumper anyway. Came in at less than $2K with shipping. When you add the cost for reinforcement bracket, mounts for accessories and still being limited for future things I might want to add, I decided on tire carrier. All I am adding on now is horizontal jack mount. I don't know what I might add later and tire carrier option gives me that freedom. A jerry Can full of gas is not light. I am also putting Zone 3" lift which adds 2" in front and 3" in back. This should account for some of weight.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just ordered my Expedition One rear bumper and tire carrier. They are having 20% off for Black Friday using code BLACK22. I hated spending money but I was getting rear bumper anyway. Came in at less than $2K with shipping. When you add the cost for reinforcement bracket, mounts for accessories and still being limited for future things I might want to add, I decided on tire carrier. All I am adding on now is horizontal jack mount. I don't know what I might add later and tire carrier option gives me that freedom. A jerry Can full of gas is not light. I am also putting Zone 3" lift which adds 2" in front and 3" in back. This should account for some of weight.
Nice! Expo1 makes great stuff. I wish they had more photography of how their accessories mount to the tire carrier arm. Looks like a really nice option.
Sponsored