Sponsored

TAXES WRITE OFF: GVWR needs to be 6,000 LBS!

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
WILL THE BRONCO QUALIFY AS A TAX WRITE OFF? SEEMS JUST SHY OF THE 6000 LB NEEDED!!
  • 4499-5226 lbs (2.3L EcoBoost engine)
  • 4661-5320 lbs (2.7L EcoBoost engine)
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...on-taxes-buy-a-heavy-suv-or-pickup-2016-05-17

The Section 179 deduction and bonus deprecation deals are only available for an SUV, pickup, or van with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) above 6,000 pounds that is purchased
“Heavy” SUVs, pickups, and vans used over 50% for business are eligible for the first-year Section 179 depreciation write-off in the year they are first put to business use. In addition, new heavy vehicles are eligible for first-year bonus depreciation.
Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
These look like curb weights to me. Some models are >6k GVWR.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
If the IRS goes off the manufacturer listing, I think we are disqualified.
What's the loophole? Load it up and go to a truck scale?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

WILL THE BRONCO QUALIFY AS A TAX WRITE OFF? SEEMS JUST SHY OF THE 6000 LB NEEDED!!
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...on-taxes-buy-a-heavy-suv-or-pickup-2016-05-17

The Section 179 deduction and bonus deprecation deals are only available for an SUV, pickup, or van with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) above 6,000 pounds that is purchased
“Heavy” SUVs, pickups, and vans used over 50% for business are eligible for the first-year Section 179 depreciation write-off in the year they are first put to business use. In addition, new heavy vehicles are eligible for first-year bonus depreciation.
Read the thread below for more relevant info. @Rick Astley gives some detailed clarifications on the issue...

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...bs-tax-deduction-for-some-trims-models.12513/

Sponsored

TroutHunter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 550
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The GVWR of the Black Diamond 4-door Squatch is 6,180 lbs. Here is the sticker from the dealer event I was at last Thursday.

IMG_7176.jpg

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Here's the Chart
Ford Bronco TAXES WRITE OFF: GVWR needs to be 6,000 LBS! 381DFA7F-18AA-48CD-AFAB-AD968EB70B0B (1)

Psybako

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion, Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There's a WHOLE lot more going on with section 179 than the GVWR. Vehicle weight is probably the least relevant qualifying factor with regard to how section 179 does or does not apply to (probably) >99% of all Broncos that will be sold.

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When I was self employed my vehicle had to be over 4000 GVW for me to write it off.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's a WHOLE lot more going on with section 179 than the GVWR. Vehicle weight is probably the least relevant qualifying factor with regard to how section 179 does or does not apply to (probably) >99% of all Broncos that will be sold.
DETAILS PLEASE

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4 door, 6 cyl, 10 speed are 6120 I recall...

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

DETAILS PLEASE
Yeah. If you aren’t familiar with 179 you really need to talk to whomever is doing your business taxes. There’s some minutia and things that have changed...

I’m no accountant or tax lawyer, but how I interpret the law it wouldn’t allow me to write off the depreciation of the Bronco unless I was basically running a safari / sand dune tour business and not driving the Bronco around as my daily.

Psybako

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion, Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
DETAILS PLEASE
It's been said elsewhere, but I agree that the details need to be discussed with a tax professional rather than a random forum poster. That being said, I would imagine that the minimum 50% business use requirement will exclude nearly every Bronco manufactured from qualifying within this area of the tax code.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am one of those, and yes, you have to have a business, and you have to be using it predominately for biz, and it has to be over 6000# GVWR, of which ONLY the 4 door, V6, 10 speed do. Not hard to do. Most of my biz clients are up over 80%....and that allows you write off nearly off it in the year you get it. Makes it tough to tax plan for 2021 since there's an outside chance mine could be delivered by year end if we hit Legend's #'s and the order rate is 60% range and the supply chain fills....IF IF IF.
Sponsored