b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Not back on the road yet, unfortunately. Still waiting on the passenger curtain airbags and a couple small parts.

I was confused by the same thing with the GoRhino brackets. The 2 door kits ship with the 4 door bracket set, but only use two brackets per side (leaving two brackets unused). I called GoRhino customer service and they were very helpful identifying the brackets needed for the install. Don’t have my bronco (in the shop, as per the above), so unfortunately I can’t take photos to help.
thank you sir! I ended up figuring it out as well sadly the vendor shipped them separately so my truck sits with brackets and no boards.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GPPBronco

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

thank you sir! I ended up figuring it out as well sadly the vendor shipped them separately so my truck sits with brackets and no boards.
Look the boards over carefully when you receive. My first set were missing powder coating in one spot on the underside. I called GoRhino and they said to install the defective set and they’ll ship replacements, which arrived a couple days ago and I haven’t checked them yet (no bronco in the driveway to swap them out). In both cases, the shipping box arrived totally beat. Like, ends of the box ripped out. Inside, the boards are wrapped and protected. But, it’s believable that some of these aren’t making it without damage, if this is the way they’re all shipped.

OP
OP
GPPBronco

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Talked to body shop today. Bronco all put together.

Something I haven’t seen discussed on B6G is the paint on the base steelies. Very thin. When I had the new 33” tires installed (same day as purchase), the service department marred up the wheels in some usual places (around wheel weights) but also in some places that suggested some carelessness. That’s ok. Mistakes happen. And this paint seems really thin. For instance:

Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience 6E9BAF03-D787-4152-9408-1E4F8D3E7A01
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience 09FD215E-673B-4DC0-90FE-F6D649A22132

They made things more than right by offering to powder coat them; apparently cheaper than their cost/time to paint, and more durable. So, now the wheels are powder coated for durability, same color as factory paint.

Pics coming soon. Detailing and headlight calibration Thursday. 🤞 Picking up Friday.

OP
OP
GPPBronco

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Back in business. 🙌

On Thursday I got the call that the Bronco was ready and made arrangements to pick it up Friday afternoon.

Spent the weekend visiting family in Mid-Michigan and traversing dusty and rutted farm trails and seasonal roads. No pics because it’s so dang hard to remember to do that while having fun.

Got back down to Detroit this morning and gave it a hand wash, made an ice cream run, and then parked for the night...

Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2602
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2604
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2596
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2607

Sponsored

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Back in business. 🙌

On Thursday I got the call that the Bronco was ready and made arrangements to pick it up Friday afternoon.

Spent the weekend visiting family in Mid-Michigan and traversing dusty and rutted farm trails and seasonal roads. No pics because it’s so dang hard to remember to do that while having fun.

Got back down to Detroit this morning and gave it a hand wash, made an ice cream run, and then parked for the night...

Nice to see you finally got your ride back!
Enjoy

OP
OP
GPPBronco

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Installed the Bartact Color Grab Handles (in brown) and they look/feel nice. Hang down a comfortable distance to easily access when entering the Bronco, and feel substantial in-hand.

Some have said these strap-style handles hang into the front seat peripheral vision to the point of annoyance. Not sure about that, but I did discover they can be tucked out of the way, between the halo bar and top panels. So, that’s a nice little hack.
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2637
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2638
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2639

Last edited:
OP
OP
GPPBronco

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Spent a recent weekend at Holly Oaks ORV Park in Holly, MI. Ended up being a Michigan Bronco Club event the same day so we had a guided tour of the moderate difficulty trails throughout the park. We had a blast and our base non-Sas Bronco (should we name this thing?) really surprised me. We didn’t try anything too gnarly but it felt like I was pushing my comfort zone as a driver. Which means I’m matched well to the truck, as equipped.

Couple hardware-related notes:
  • We aired down the Falken Wildpeak M/T tires to 20 PSI (down from the street pressure @ 36 PSI). Traction was never an issue - even in loose sand and hard packed off-camber situations. I bought one of the ARB505 Deflator kits. I tried hooking it up several times and know I was doing it correctly. The rate of deflation was very slow. So slow that it was vastly quicker to deflate using a conventional pencil tire gauge. So, I need to work more with this kit. Somewhere, I read that you can cheat the whole assembly off the stem a turn or two, which backs the valve out a little further and allows for air to flow more freely. 🤷
  • Ground clearance was the prominent nagging thought while in the park. In a base non-Sas you are always with people as-capable+, which is a strange feeling at times. There was a single spot, descending a hill, where a washed out trench jagged across the trail at the perfect angle to dip the drivers front side. Something hit the ground. Wasn’t the bumper or anything body-related. Can’t find any evidence underneath. The guy behind me was in a non-Sas badlands and mentioned hitting the same obstacle. Maybe this is only notable because it was my first CLANG! Sorta like the first door ding.
  • Dune flags - Got the trail sight mount from Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard in Brighton, MI. It’s solid and looks clean. Had ordered a Handy Flag kit (see pic below) but it didn’t arrive in time so I bought one from the vendor at the ORV park. Will use the Handy Flag now that it has arrived. The quick disconnect mount looks nice and works well.
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2686
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2692
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2687
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2712
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2711
Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2710

Last edited:
OP
OP
GPPBronco

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Over the Fourth of July week, we headed to the Lake Michigan shoreline. We were staying at a lake house just south of Manistee and frequented the beach at the bottom of the dune there daily, but we also made the time to explore up and down the coast from Silver Lake to Glen Arbor. Here are some impressions focused on our two-door Bronco Base.

Does a 2 door Bronco work for a family of four on a week-long vacation?
Yes. Yes. And Yes. But a small trailer helps. The debate is endless on this topic at Bronco6G and I'm definitely not trying to wade into that but I can share our experience. Here's what we packed:

In Bronco:
  • Two carry-on sized suitcases*
  • One checked baggage size suitcase*
  • One average sized duffel bag*
  • One insulated grocery bag with frozen and refrigerated items we knew we couldn't find in Manistee*
  • One ORV dune flag*
  • One small spade shovel*
  • Bronco top panel bags* (empty and rolled up during trips between Detroit/Manistee)
  • Four pillows*
  • One backpack with kids toys to keep the ride from devolving into chaos
  • One backpack for my wife's necessities
    *Stored in cargo area behind rear seats
On 4x6 utility trailer:
  • Two adult mountain bikes
  • One 20" BMX bike
  • One balance bike
  • One Burley bike trailer
  • One tote containing:
    • Snorkel gear (2 sets)
    • bike helmets
    • Bike air pump
    • Bag with water shoes, crocs, etc.
    • Misc. grocery items (mostly booze)
The primary takeaway from these lists is that it's totally possible to haul enough clothing/supplies for a family of four in a 2 door Bronco. Everything on the trailer was "nice to have" and allowed us to experience more while on vacation (especially the bikes and snorkel gear). Also, the trailer wasn't at capacity and could have handled another small tote or cooler if we had needed it. But I know you're not here for info on the utility trailer. Here's a pic of the full rig parked outside the lake house waiting to be unloaded:

Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2779

Silver Lake Sand Dunes
If you read my earlier post on the topic, you know that I did my first "shake down" run a few weeks ago at Holly Oaks ORV Park with the Michigan Bronco Club. After learning the capabilities of the Bronco (and myself) there, it was a no-brainer to head down to Silver Lake State Park's ORV area during our time on the West [Michigan] Coast. I had never driven on dunes before in any vehicle/ORV/SxS and it was thrilling. I aired down the tires to 12 PSI, attached the dune flag, and headed out to the dune area.

We started by making a loop around the full ORV area out to Lake Michigan to get the lay of the land. There are a lot of really nice "less travelled" paths through clumps of trees/grasses in what I'd call the "connecting areas" of the park. The sand in these places is looser and speeds are slower, so momentum is key. The challenge in those areas is that they aren't one-way, so you're always on the lookout for other rigs to avoid collisions (I have to imagine it was busier than normal, being the Thursday after July 4th). The possibility of equally-blind traffic reduces the fun significantly and makes it challenging to keep the momentum needed to crest the hills. In spite of that, the Bronco in Sand Mode felt unstoppable. Several times I was scaling a dune and felt the concern wash over me that we didn't have the momentum to make it. We never bogged down or had to back down and try again.

That includes the large dunes area, which is one-way and allow for "send" mode much more freely. I asked my wife to take photos and video but she was terrified most of the time because she's never done anything like this. Made for some funny audio and less-than-useful photos/videos. But here's a photo to prove we did it...

Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_5244

Last edited:

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree about the family of four. I'm doing it with two car seats in the back even. Definitely utilizing the roof rack for extra luggage and gear.

What hitch set up do you have on your bronco? I thought I didn't see one on in previous pictures

Sponsored
OP
OP
GPPBronco

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree about the family of four. I'm doing it with two car seats in the back even. Definitely utilizing the roof rack for extra luggage and gear.

What hitch set up do you have on your bronco? I thought I didn't see one on in previous pictures
Yeah, we still have a booster seat but I'm thankful I don't have to reach into the back seat and deal with strapping in the kiddos. Did that in our '97 Wrangler for three years and I think I have a permanent goose egg on my head from bumping the roll bar.

Thanks for catching the hitch! Forgot to mention that. The week before we left, I had the Curt CLASS 3 TRAILER HITCH, 2" RECEIVER installed at a local shop recommended by my dealer. Not sure about the wiring harness they used, but I assume it was also Curt (main thing was that they routed through the frame and did a neat/tidy job, which they did). My only gripe is that the Curt receiver doesn't have a bracket for mounting the 4-pin harness, so it is just zip tied around the receiver.

When I ordered the Bronco, the hitch wasn't an option on the base trim, and I had planned to DIY the install. But, I've since thought better of DIY installs on any aftermarket items that could be remotely construed by Ford as a breach of warranty. I figure I've already got a strike against me pulling into the service department with ORV permits on the rear window... ;)

Anyway, I shopped around for prices and they were all fairly close so I went with the installer the dealer recommended. It seems they all know the factory hitch is a ~$550 option (or, they were the last time I checked), so they're all quoting a little under that for the out-the-door price.

Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2871

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, we still have a booster seat but I'm thankful I don't have to reach into the back seat and deal with strapping in the kiddos. Did that in our '97 Wrangler for three years and I think I have a permanent goose egg on my head from bumping the roll bar.

Thanks for catching the hitch! Forgot to mention that. The week before we left, I had the Curt CLASS 3 TRAILER HITCH, 2" RECEIVER installed at a local shop recommended by my dealer. Not sure about the wiring harness they used, but I assume it was also Curt (main thing was that they routed through the frame and did a neat/tidy job, which they did). My only gripe is that the Curt receiver doesn't have a bracket for mounting the 4-pin harness, so it is just zip tied around the receiver.

When I ordered the Bronco, the hitch wasn't an option on the base trim, and I had planned to DIY the install. But, I've since thought better of DIY installs on any aftermarket items that could be remotely construed by Ford as a breach of warranty. I figure I've already got a strike against me pulling into the service department with ORV permits on the rear window... ;)

Anyway, I shopped around for prices and they were all fairly close so I went with the installer the dealer recommended. It seems they all know the factory hitch is a ~$550 option (or, they were the last time I checked), so they're all quoting a little under that for the out-the-door price.

Ford Bronco The 2023 Shadow Black Base Experience IMG_2871
That zip tie setup looks clean though! As long as you check them once a blue moon, it'll be fine.

I asked because I'm thinking of doing a DIY install as well. I checked out Ford's accessories page for the hitch receiver and wiring harness and I'm pretty sure it's well over $550 combined just to order the parts! So you got a good deal IMHO with someone else doing a professional install

OP
OP
GPPBronco

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That zip tie setup looks clean though! As long as you check them once a blue moon, it'll be fine.

I asked because I'm thinking of doing a DIY install as well. I checked out Ford's accessories page for the hitch receiver and wiring harness and I'm pretty sure it's well over $550 combined just to order the parts! So you got a good deal IMHO with someone else doing a professional install
Yep, the zip tie solution is totally fine if you use the hitch only occasionally like I do.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm about to order those same Wildpeaks in that same size. Now that you've driven them a few more months, any complaints?

OP
OP
GPPBronco

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm about to order those same Wildpeaks in that same size. Now that you've driven them a few more months, any complaints?
At nearly 6k and they’re no louder than the day I bought them. No balance issues or vibration.

I run them at 35-36psi and theyre pretty firm. I have to imagine a set of SL or C load tires would be much smoother, especially on washboard gravel roads and slow speed over concrete seams and potholes. Gets a little chattery.

They’ve been really great aired down off road, and I haven’t once wished for a rear locker on the easy-moderate trails/dunes I’ve described in posts above.

In the rain I’ve tried to get these to hydroplane (carefully, with no other cars nearby), and they seem unflappable in that regard.

I am concerned about winter, based on the limited snow/ice driving I did in January before it was out of commission for a few months. The one slick/greasy freeway drive I had during that time felt a little unsettled. But maybe it was just my lack of familiarity with the Bronco a week or two after I picked it up. 🤷 That being said, I’m keeping my eyes peeled for some black diamond upgraded alloy take-offs to use as winter wheels/tires. And because I just know these steelies are going to RUST in the Michigan winter salt season.

I’d recommend them if you’re ok taking it easy In the winter. The price is certainly right compared to the other reputable brands making tires in the 255/85r16 size. What I’d give for some BFG KO2 in this size though...
Sponsored