JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I posted this in another thread. My wife has weak hands and bad shoulders gained through a life time of hard work. She can't operate a mechanical handbrake. Specifically unlocking it is a problem for her.

As said above, it's the piss poor location that is the problem. If they were going to put it where it is they could have done a mechanical foot brake.
Sponsored

Visitor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Midwest
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me, this is the second biggest failure* of the Bronco, and with a manual transmission you're reminded of it daily.

Why couldn't it be swapped with the mirror adjustment controls, at least? I only touch those when I'm adjusting for off-road, and I use my handbrake multiple times daily. Guess which one is easier?

*the biggest failure is the 4cyl as the only option with a manual transmission. I'm glad the MT is an option, but I'd love to have options.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Uhmm no. Is this a troll post? Definitely not the biggest failure. And some of your statements are completely false. Of course the brake still works when the engine is off. Seems like you are grasping for things to complain about.
The most common issue among 7spd buyers is the digital tach and analog speedometer. The only real issue with the current parking brake is the tendency for the lever to break off in your hand

Last edited:

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As said above, it's the piss poor location that is the problem. If they were going to put it where it is they could have done a mechanical foot brake.
I began driving in 1967. Except for a Volkswagen, I cannot think of an American made car (though Iā€™m sure there are some) where the manual emergency brake handle wasnā€™t under the dash. Then came the foot brakes when once pushed on wouldnā€™t disengage without adding more foot pressure.

I guess you could place en electric brake switch nearly anywhere in the car. The steering wheel would seem like a logical placeā€¦.but, oops, sorry passengers I was just trying to change radio stationsā€¦.

I have no issues where the e-brake is located. Seems like a normal location for me. I am 6ā€™4ā€ however and perhaps as such have no issues in reaching it.

If this is the greatest failure of the Ford Bronco, Iā€™m sure glad I bought one.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
DOT does not allow hydraulic parking brakes. The parking brake is there in case of a hydraulic failure. Where I live, not one single vehicle over 10 years old has a functional mechanical parking brake, so the electric ones are a welcome change I guess. In the case of electrical failure, there is a procedure to release them manually (you have to climb under and unbolt the actuators which would kinda suck). I am ok w/the electric parking brake, although I HAVE accidently popped my hood when reaching for it. Don't really think Bronco Tokyo drift is gonna be a big thing for me either...but hey...would love to watch somebody do it!

Mobius

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My electric parking brake has worked flawlessly in 13,000 miles of regular use with my 7mt. I have no idea what you're on about and in all the manual vehicles I've owned and enjoyed, I've never felt compelled to use the parking brake in an emergency because I don't drive beyond my skill and I live in a heavy snow region...

Mobius

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I began driving in 1967. Except for a Volkswagen, I cannot think of an American made car (though Iā€™m sure there are some) where the manual emergency brake handle wasnā€™t under the dash.
My two Fox chassis Mustangs (89, 91) and at least the following SN95 had console mechanical hand brakes.

zerk4321

Base
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch Rapid Red
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have an automatic, but would prefer a non-electric parking brake. Too much electric/electronic stuff.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And some of your statements are completely false. Of course the brake still works when the engine is off.
To be fair, he did say ā€œvehicle doesnā€™t have powerā€ (not ā€œturn the engine offā€). Implying a totally dead electrical system. But Iā€™ll admitā€¦.this is a pretty contrived example of ā€œuselessnessā€.

I think I can sleep at night knowing the limitation of I canā€™t park my Bronco on a 45 degree slope and then hop out and change my battery. :D

Sponsored

atimberwolf

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I began driving in 1967. Except for a Volkswagen, I cannot think of an American made car (though Iā€™m sure there are some) where the manual emergency brake handle wasnā€™t under the dash. Then came the foot brakes when once pushed on wouldnā€™t disengage without adding more foot pressure.

I guess you could place en electric brake switch nearly anywhere in the car. The steering wheel would seem like a logical placeā€¦.but, oops, sorry passengers I was just trying to change radio stationsā€¦.

I have no issues where the e-brake is located. Seems like a normal location for me. I am 6ā€™4ā€ however and perhaps as such have no issues in reaching it.

If this is the greatest failure of the Ford Bronco, Iā€™m sure glad I bought one.
Not sure what American vehicles you've driven, but two easily come to mind with the manual ebrake not under the dash. The Chevrolet Corvette and as was already mentioned the Ford Mustang. I am positive there are several more.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure what American vehicles you've driven, but two easily come to mind with the manual ebrake not under the dash. The Chevrolet Corvette and as was already mentioned the Ford Mustang. I am positive there are several more.
Yes, as I mentioned in my post, Iā€™m sure there were some. Please excuse me. I did not say ALL.

Also, you must be talking about post 67 Corvettes. Mid years and older had mechanical handles under the dash. Even after restoration, they were barely able to hold the car from moving on a slightly sloped driveway.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Itā€™s 2023, time to accept all the E. But the type of lever and its location are ridiculous. Good thing Iā€™ve never used a parking brake in my 28 years of driving. Yes, even when the offrodeo hosts kept pestering to use it, I faked it. Wasnā€™t about to break that streak šŸ˜‚
Now see, this is misguided thinking. E is fine, but with a vehicle that is supposed to be miles from help, and mechanical redundant backup is a wise thing to have.

As for manual Broncos, they have hill start assist, so I think the system we have is OK, but I completely agree the location is horrible / needs to be on the center console.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see it's groundhog day at B6G again. I can't wait to talk about the Goodyears throwing rocks later today, maybe sprinkle in some 2.7 valve discussion after that, and top it off with a good ol MPG thread.

Don't get me wrong, I do wish it was a manual handbrake in the center console. So far it's been fine though, I'm just gentle with it.

Last edited:

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To be fair, he did say ā€œvehicle doesnā€™t have powerā€ (not ā€œturn the engine offā€). Implying a totally dead electrical system. But Iā€™ll admitā€¦.this is a pretty contrived example of ā€œuselessnessā€.

I think I can sleep at night knowing the limitation of I canā€™t park my Bronco on a 45 degree slope and then hop out and change my battery. :D
I like your post.

If this were an industrial design, the brakes would fail safeā€¦meaning that with no power (12 VDC) the brakes would be locked. For a vehicle (almost used the word car!ā€¦) that would cause more than a few additional issues and may not be safe. That condition also would require not only a battery failure but also an alternator failure at the same timeā€¦double jeopardy designā€¦

I assume that the Bronco Park/Emergency brake is off when there is no 12 VDC power to it, like when the battery is disconnected and the engine is not running. Since 0 VDC is not a common condition, I wonder at what low voltage the system is designed to operate at. Anyone know?

Since we have traction control and trail turn assist, it seems logical (to me as an ME) that those same braking components would be used as the secondary braking system and not be complicated by a third complete braking system.
Sponsored