Sponsored

The main benefit of premium gas is…

The main benefit of premium (91+ octane) gas is…

• Better fuel economy

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • It keeps the engine internals clean

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • It is better for certain elevations

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • It is better for road trips

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • It reduces detonation or knock in engines tuned for premium and can allow full power in such engines

Votes: 187 73.0%
  • There is no benefit to using premium gas in any car

Votes: 27 10.5%

• Total voters

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm on team 87 octane. The 5% (ish) increase in torque isn't worth the extra $.30 per gallon.
* 2.3L
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Without an computer controlled turbo (like every car built more than 15 years old), the engine was either designed for premium and it benefited from high octane, or it wasn't and you were wasting your money paying for premium. That is not necessarily true anymore
Not necessarily true about older vehicles either. With knock detection and electronically advanced spark, non-turbos can be programmed to advance the spark to optimize for the fuel octane.

Not even that new technology, my 95 Ford Contour did that. To the point where it actually got better MPG with mid-grade, and enough better MPG to make up for the cost premium.

Although the best mileage I ever got was when I filled up outside of the Metro area and was able to buy 100% real gasoline instead of the 10% Ethanol garbage (or 15% MTBE cancer cocktail they sold back then)