Sponsored

Which Engine is Easier for DIY maintenance, 2.3 or 2.7?

kirnma

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can't believe all the 2.7L propaganda!!!

You plastic-panners are out of your minds.

Get an oil filter cap wrench and a long socket extension from Harbor Freight for CHEAP!

Just turn your wheels hard right before you park when you want to do the oil change and easy peasy.
I have the 2.3L and I took off the left-front tire to access the filter, even if I didn't have to. This made accessing the filter a breeze that took just a few minutes (still with the socket extensions, but I could reach in with my hand to unspin the old filter and install the new one). Overall, my first oil change took about 90 minutes as I hadn't done it myself before. But here on out I should be able to change it in about half that time. BTW, 6 quarts in my Bronco is not quite enough to top it off, but I am leaving it as-is.
Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.7 looks like a nightmare to work on, other than oil changes. Getting at the plugs looks hard- even changing belts. 2.3 not much easier but maybe a little. This is the case with modern engines. I work on my 87 Chevy Squarebody with 5.7L all the time. Everything is easy compared to these modern engines.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As stated general maintenance, neither is not hard. For longevity repairs, the 2.3 will be easier & cheaper to work on as it has less piping, one less turbo, 2 less cylinders.

I went with the 2.7 for the extra torque. There are also a couple features you can't get with the 2.3 because of the difference between brake boosters, vacuum 2.3 electric 2.7.
In the long run it won't be as easy to work on or as cheap, but I would have regretted giving up the torque I get especially after the Whipple Stage 1.

Anything worth doing has never easy. Happy I went 2.7 šŸ¤ 

YMMV

RedSoloCup

Big Bend
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

About to get a 23 2.7 Bronco tomorrow. This will be my 3rd 2.7 as Iā€™ve had 2 in the F150. No experience on the 2.3 but the 2.7 is easy to work on. Spark plugs are easy especially compared to the 5.0s with plugs.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
^^THIS^^. Installed Ronin 1st oil change, easy oil changes! Also, changing the oil filter element while standing is pretty sweetā€¦šŸ˜‚
Compared to the Wrangler 3.6L, the sparkplug changes on either of the Bronco engines is a breeze. The oil change on the 2.7L is easy--IF you replace the drain plug with a Ronin so that you do not have to remove the skid plate.
Does your Ronin plug drain slowwwwwwwwwwwwww. Mine does even with the drain piece screwed all the way in.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does your Ronin plug drain slowwwwwwwwwwwwww. Mine does even with the drain piece screwed all the way in.
I do not find it to be terribly slow, but I add a piece of hose and start it draining. I typically then remove the old filter, get the new one ready along with the new oil. By the time I do that, the oil is all drained out.

strawhatguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond / Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I do not find it to be terribly slow, but I add a piece of hose and start it draining. I typically then remove the old filter, get the new one ready along with the new oil. By the time I do that, the oil is all drained out.
did my first change, put the ronin plug in. How do you not take off the bash plate the next time? Seems like the plateā€™s just below the pan.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
did my first change, put the ronin plug in. How do you not take off the bash plate the next time? Seems like the plateā€™s just below the pan.
I am running RCI skids, not sure if that makes a difference, but I go in over the top of it:

Ford Bronco Which Engine is Easier for DIY maintenance, 2.3 or 2.7? 20231118_143541

Ford Bronco Which Engine is Easier for DIY maintenance, 2.3 or 2.7? 20231118_144159

Ford Bronco Which Engine is Easier for DIY maintenance, 2.3 or 2.7? 20231118_144128

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The 2.7 looks like a nightmare to work on, other than oil changes. Getting at the plugs looks hard- even changing belts. 2.3 not much easier but maybe a little. This is the case with modern engines. I work on my 87 Chevy Squarebody with 5.7L all the time. Everything is easy compared to these modern engines.
Ah, I had a 68 Mustang GT 390 and you had to lift the engine to change spark plugs. My Triumph TR3A, now that was easy, wet cylinders, disc front brakes.....F'ing carbs sucked though..........
Sponsored