Sponsored

Which Engine is Easier for DIY maintenance, 2.3 or 2.7?

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My plan is to do all my own maintenance when I get a Bronco next year, and one factor I need to take into consideration is routine maintenance like oil changes and spark plugs. How hard is it to replace spark plugs and do other basic maintenance on these engines? Is there a discernable difference, or it is pretty much the same, being that both of these engines have a ton of modern wires, hoses, clips, sharp corners, et cetera. I know I am going to miss the old days of easily swapping plugs on my '05 Tacoma and the satisfaction I got thinking to myself how I saved a bunch of money doing it easily all by myself!
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

2.3 easy peazy. Conventional oil plug and filter, plugs should be easy to get to, but I won't look to close until near 100K.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Inline 4 cylinder single turbo in a longitudinal lay out. vs twin turbo V6...

Pretty easy to decide which one is easier.

Either way the 2.7l is easy to DIY maintenance regardless. The 2.7l oil change is easier than the 2.3l.

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are talking strictly oil changes... then the 2.7L is FAR easier than the 2.3L. The oil filter location in the 2.3L is a bit of a pain to get to, while the 2.7L is ezpz.

Everything else on the 2.3L is easier. Not that the 2.7L is particularly complicated, but the 2.3L is absolutely easier overall. It is also a much more common engine that is used in a wide variety of Ford vehicles, and also available as a crate engine, so there is a fair amount of knowledge regarding it in the wider automotive community.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you are talking strictly oil changes... then the 2.7L is FAR easier than the 2.3L. The oil filter location in the 2.3L is a bit of a pain to get to, while the 2.7L is ezpz.

Everything else on the 2.3L is easier. Not that the 2.7L is particularly complicated, but the 2.3L is absolutely easier overall. It is also a much more common engine that is used in a wide variety of Ford vehicles, and also available as a crate engine, so there is a fair amount of knowledge regarding it in the wider automotive community.
I'd love a Monutune built 2.3l in my Ranger with Baja long travel... One can dream.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Wow thanks for that video. I think for the oil change alone the 2.7L would be better because I'll spend most of my time changing oil.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Neither one are particularly difficult for regular maintenance. Like @RagnarKon said, the 2.7 is easier to change the oil on. As far as spark plugs, the 2.3 would be slightly easier just mainly for the fact that there are 2 less. The 2.7 isn’t very difficult either though.

Anything past normal maintenance like that, the 2.3 will be far easier to work on.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Neither one are particularly difficult for regular maintenance. Like @RagnarKon said, the 2.7 is easier to change the oil on. As far as spark plugs, the 2.3 would be slightly easier just mainly for the fact that there are 2 less. The 2.7 isn’t very difficult either though.

Anything past normal maintenance like that, the 2.3 will be far easier to work on.
Two more plugs, plus a V configuration. I haven't done a plug change, but it doesn't look hard on the 2.7l.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Two more plugs, plus a V configuration. I haven't done a plug change, but it doesn't look hard on the 2.7l.
The V configuration doesn’t really change anything. It’s just as straightforward as the 2.3. Nothing really in the way.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't believe all the 2.7L propaganda!!!

You plastic-panners are out of your minds.

Get an oil filter cap wrench and a long socket extension from Harbor Freight for CHEAP!

Just turn your wheels hard right before you park when you want to do the oil change and easy peasy.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Compared to the Wrangler 3.6L, the sparkplug changes on either of the Bronco engines is a breeze. The oil change on the 2.7L is easy--IF you replace the drain plug with a Ronin so that you do not have to remove the skid plate.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just me I guess, but I'd rather deal with the canister type filter and metal pan and plug the 2.3 than the 1940s tech cartridge type on the 2.7 with o rings et al..and the 21st century plastic pan and plug .

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Compared to the Wrangler 3.6L, the sparkplug changes on either of the Bronco engines is a breeze. The oil change on the 2.7L is easy--IF you replace the drain plug with a Ronin so that you do not have to remove the skid plate.
^^THIS^^. Installed Ronin 1st oil change, easy oil changes! Also, changing the oil filter element while standing is pretty sweet…😂

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just me I guess, but I'd rather deal with the canister type filter and metal pan and plug the 2.3 than the 1940s tech cartridge type on the 2.7 with o rings et al..and the 21st century plastic pan and plug .
I feel the same. Never been a fan of cartridge filters.

I find the filter to be very easy to replace from underneath, I don't try to go through the wheel well.

There is gobs of room all around the 2.3, it's going to make any future work a breeze. Not that there's much to expect to go wrong, and certainly not phasers.
Sponsored