First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I was growing up, my first car was a new '89 Mazda 323, next a '93 Nissan NX2000, and a '95 Civic Hatchback after that.....Even had a 2003 SVT Focus and '04 Ranger FX4 L2, wasn't until I had '16 Cadillac ATS-V that manufacturers starting requiring tools to remove and replace the engine air-filter, they used to just put metal flaps that you could flip over and flip back.

I think these greedy manufacturers think that if they make it some effort and have to grab a tool to change something as simple as an air filter, that people will just take it to the dealer. Same goes for the location for the oil filter.

Reactions: jon

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nothing yet but I was thinking about making one since mine is a Surf Fishing/Beach/Dirt Backroads Bronco.

I am also considering getting the K&N Performance Air Intake to replace the OEM box.
Hey, good luck with your K&N. I suggest running an outerwears and a foam prefilter between them at the very least if you're planning on taking it anywhere there's sand or dirt. The outerwears knocks out a lot of the larger particles but becomes very restrictive if it gets oily, hence the need for the foam prefilter, which doubles as a prefilter for the K&N. I was never able to get it up to adequate filtration standards, and it seemed like every weekend run or race I'd have to clean them all over again. Super restrictive when dirty, and as a result, if you keep running them dirty you'll get oily mud on your MAP sensor after your engine basically forces all that crud through the filter pleats. If I need to upgrade from OEM on any vehicle, a Walker Performance dry filter takes its place if at all possible.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't most filters work better as they start to get dirty?
That depends on what you quantify better as. As a filter becomes laden with particulates, some of the larger holes become blocked, forcing air to take a more indirect path around and through the media, allowing smaller particulates to become trapped as well. In this way, a filter works a little better when it's a little dirty. The problem with that is you're getting more filtration at the cost of airflow. A dirty filter is worse in regard to engine power and efficiency, and you start taking a flow rate hit the moment it starts filtering out particulates. So the answer is yes and no, I suppose.

One caveat is that when your air filter is very dirty and laden with particulates, the force exerted by the engine intake on the media increases. Local air velocity through those tiny holes significantly increases and can lead to tears in the media, which end up being far larger than the mesh of the original and allows much larger particulates in. In extreme cases the pleats will give up entirely and you'll have a solid split right through your filter. So, a dirty filter will filter better...until it reaches a tipping point and lets a whole lot of crud through.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great video. The translucent box cover to show how the indent holds the filter was an amazing graphic - thanks for taking the time to add that bit of detail.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great video. The translucent box cover to show how the indent holds the filter was an amazing graphic - thanks for taking the time to add that bit of detail.
Thanks... The editing is a learning process. But it's great fun 👍🏻
The magnifying is a new trick for me as well.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I was growing up, my first car was a new '89 Mazda 323, next a '93 Nissan NX2000, and a '95 Civic Hatchback after that.....Even had a 2003 SVT Focus and '04 Ranger FX4 L2, wasn't until I had '16 Cadillac ATS-V that manufacturers starting requiring tools to remove and replace the engine air-filter, they used to just put metal flaps that you could flip over and flip back.

I think these greedy manufacturers think that if they make it some effort and have to grab a tool to change something as simple as an air filter, that people will just take it to the dealer. Same goes for the location for the oil filter.
I had a 2002 SVT Focus way back when...
In the process of converting it to a RS.
Ford Bronco Engine Air Filter replacement, maintenance and aftermarket filters (DIY video) AE00D8B3-BB60-4465-B32E-1557373EE894

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a ZTS back in the day and installed a full SVT brake set. I also had an MTX75 with a Quaife I never installed, and even got an RS bumper shipped over from England, but it was trashed. Good luck with the RS conversion!

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do you also use a prefilter?
I've used K&N forever on my bikes... But I don't think I'd do it with an offroader
I use a Uni Filter as a prefilter on my Tiger. But that's because the snorkle for the box was designed to let in sand, dirt, water, gnomes....

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use a Uni Filter as a prefilter on my Tiger. But that's because the snorkle for the box was designed to let in sand, dirt, water, gnomes....
Damn gnomes anyways....

Sponsored

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I keep a stack of paper OEM filters on my shelf, all it takes is a dusty road and your filter is needing a replacement. I had to replace my last one after only 5k miles roughly. As cool as K&N and other filter makers are, they are a big pain if you drive a lot of dusty roads, and the oiled ones clog up pretty fast in these environments.

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice vid :).

I had a K&N but out here in vegas it gets super dusty. A better paper one is more suitable for the conditions here. For the interior cabin filter I used IAG. Very nice and has active carbon in it too.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I keep a stack of paper OEM filters on my shelf, all it takes is a dusty road and your filter is needing a replacement. I had to replace my last one after only 5k miles roughly. As cool as K&N and other filter makers are, they are a big pain if you drive a lot of dusty roads, and the oiled ones clog up pretty fast in these environments.
You can also knock them off and use compressed air to clean them a couple of times.

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can also knock them off and use compressed air to clean them a couple of times.
Yeah I do this if I don't have a spare handy, but that super fine dust can still get in your engine, especially after you've been disturbing the dust by beating/blowing it out of the filter. Good stop gap measure though.
Sponsored