Sponsored

The start of a much larger problem? Multiple warning lights and flashing gauge cluster

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You've probably figured it out by now, but there is no way you need to be driving it. Have it towed to the dealer and let them sort it out. Driving it is not a good risk.
Sponsored

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

call roadside assistance,it's free with your bronco,the reason it feels like no brakes is the 2.7l has electric brake assist(2.3l has vacc boosted)if its cold out the electronics might of froze up but don't chance driving it,your life is priceless.

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Car roadside assistance and get it towed, do not drive the car.

nd2002

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 BMW M2, '18 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The braking system is mechanical. Are you sure they weren’t working?
Brake boosting might have stopped, which might feel that way. You do have to press a LOT harder for the brakes to engage just using mechanical force of your foot, and the pedal doesn’t depress quite as easily.

Still unnerving simply because the pedal goes kind of hard.

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The braking system on vehicles with the 2.7 is an electronically controlled hydraulic system. The brake booster is an electric actuator
Yep. There's zero chance a braking system is completely "electronically controlled" as well. It might be electronically assisted rather than vacuum assisted but for safety reasons it will always be mechanical.

I'm guessing OP tried pushing his brakes and they felt harder to push than normal and jumped to the conclusion that they weren't working at all.

Sponsored

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My father's 99 Tahoe does this exact same thing - a wheel speed sensor is faulty at low speeds, putting the ABS on and prevents 95% of braking to the point where it was dangerous. We yanked the fuse and never looked back, but it's a well documented issue.

There could be some parallels, but the 2.7's electric boosted brake system is a total unknown.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Electric Brake Boost

The Electric Brake Boost EBB is an integral function of the ABS HCU. The ABS monitors brake pedal input, brake fluid pressure, vehicle speed and determines the amount of pedal assist needed. The brake pedal is only an input to the ABS module / HCU assy and doesn't normally create the hydraulic pressure to apply the brakes. This is accomplished inside the HCU unit by the internal pump motor which applies force to the Linear Actuator.

The brake pedal is a signal essentially on these vehicles now. If EBB does fail you can apply pressure but it is VERY hard to do so. I've tried before during vehicle testing in the past.
Essentially 'drive by wire'

Driver presses brake pedal...
'I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that'

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
With about 350 miles on my FE the airbag warning light came on, stayed on for 4 days, then turned off. I have not had time to get to the dealer and just figured it sorted itself out. Last night as I was driving on the freeway and the entire gauge cluster started flashing red and beeping constantly saying that collision avoidance system had failed, I pressed ok and cleared it and just thought maybe the sensors are dirty. I then proceed to head up the mountain to my house, 3/4 up the mountain the entire screen starts flashing again, being very loud, a warning, the brake system has failed, the hill assist has failed. I am pressing my brakes as hard as I can and the truck is not stopping. I use the manual shifting to get it to first and slow down. I turn the truck off, turn it on, brakes work, no more warning lights.

I have to drive the truck down the mountain today and I am simply terrified. Has anyone else had this happen? The truck has 1,100 miles on it and is 2 weeks old.
Hey, Michael! Please send us a private message with your VIN and current mileage. I'd like to assist. Thanks!

Schnabby

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepJL4dr,Raptor6.2,JeepJK2dr,M4Conv,65Must,74CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That really sucks. Would not drive it.....Are you sure it's not really a BMW?

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So this is the second thread in one day where two people have had their brakes fail.

Wtf

Last edited:

PorkchopExpress

Outer Banks
First Name
Rafa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco,Toyota Supra LE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just had all this happen in park. I notice my parking brake keeps trying to engage well the car is sitting and locked
Sponsored