Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am in analysis paralysis mode.

I have a 2022 Big Bend Non-Squatch and no rear locker. Auto transmission with gearing at the standard 3.73. Your basic off the lot Bronco.

I decided to upgrade to the Falken Wildpeak A/T3w LT285/70R17 C. Problem is they are heavy! BB rim and Wildpeak will weigh in at 87lbs per tire versus 58 pound with the stock Bridgestone Dueler. A nearly 30lb difference.

Two questions:
  • Will an 87lb tire/rim combo require me to reinforce my tailgate?
  • Should I be concerned with that per tire weight and my 3.73 gearing?
Help me pull the trigger on this decision!
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's about the same weight as a Sasquatch wheel/tire, just make sure your rubber bumpers make good contact and you'll be fine IMO.

As far as gaining 30 lb per corner, yeah you'll feel it. They say rotating weight feels like adding 5-8 lb for every 1 lb gained. That's 600+ lb in seat of the pants.

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's about the same weight as a Sasquatch wheel/tire, just make sure your rubber bumpers make good contact and you'll be fine IMO.

As far as gaining 30 lb per corner, yeah you'll feel it. They say rotating weight feels like adding 5-8 lb for every 1 lb gained. That's 600+ lb in seat of the pants.
Feel it enough that you'd suggest going for a lighter tire? My other option was the KO2 which is 12lbs lighter as tire/rim combo. A couple hundred more though and when order banks open I'm going to put in an order for a Badlands with KO2s so I wanted to try something different for the 1-2 year wait. Would appreciate your thoughts!

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Falken or KO2s you‘re already looking at are good choices. Any all terrain or more aggressive by Nitto or Toyo that fit your tread requirements will all be good choices. If aren‘t wheeling it hard a load range C, vs D or E, will usually save on weight and be good enough for light to medium duty of-road while maintaining better street manners than heavily load range tires which will likely ride rougher than C rated tires.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Feel it enough that you'd suggest going for a lighter tire? My other option was the KO2 which is 12lbs lighter as tire/rim combo. A couple hundred more though and when order banks open I'm going to put in an order for a Badlands with KO2s so I wanted to try something different for the 1-2 year wait. Would appreciate your thoughts!
It's up to you if the extra sluggishness is worth it, there's always trade offs. I gained about 20 lbs a corner going from 33s to 35s and I didn't like it at first but you get used to it.

83XLT

Big Bend
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 EG Big Bend 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

hey you linked to the LT version of the tire. they have the "P" or passenger car version in 285/70/17 and it weighs 13# less per tire (and $30 less)
Sponsored