Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This isn't really Bronco specific, but I'm wondering what thoughts people have on Tire Width vs Weight and it's impact on MPG, and to a lesser extent, drive train stress.

Specifically, when it comes to 35" tires, the typical width is 12.5 inches. However there are some options that are 10.5 and 11.5 inches, but for whatever reason weight more.

To give you an example...

The typical KO2 is 12.5 @ 64lbs
The Trail Grappler has 11.5 @ 73lbs

So it's 9 lbs more but less rolling resistance because it's narrower.

Now around town, and start and stop, I would imagine the heaviness really comes into play. But up at freeways speeds, commuting or driving on a trip, how much does the weight come into play versus the wider tire?

Side note: If anyone knows why skinnier tires tend to weigh more, inquiring minds want to know!
Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This isn't really Bronco specific, but I'm wondering what thoughts people have on Tire Width vs Weight and it's impact on MPG, and to a lesser extent, drive train stress.

Specifically, when it comes to 35" tires, the typical width is 12.5 inches. However there are some options that are 10.5 and 11.5 inches, but for whatever reason weight more.

To give you an example...

The typical KO2 is 12.5 @ 64lbs
The Trail Grappler has 11.5 @ 73lbs

So it's 9 lbs more but less rolling resistance because it's narrower.

Now around town, and start and stop, I would imagine the heaviness really comes into play. But up at freeways speeds, commuting or driving on a trip, how much does the weight come into play versus the wider tire?

Side note: If anyone knows why skinnier tires tend to weigh more, inquiring minds want to know!
Tire mass matters more than width everything else being equal. Tire tread design can change rolling resistance as much or more than an extra inch(8.6%) in tire width. Tire pressure also matters. Also outer mass of the tire matters a lot more than inner mass of the wheel.

Either way, any 35ā€ or larger tire on a Bronco is going to result in poor fuel economy whether your getting 14 mpg or 18 mpg. Physics are unforgiving and the the drag coefficient and weight of the vehicle make them poor choices if yourā€™e looking for fuel efficiency. If fuel prices stay at over $4 per gallon for a couple years or more, lots of people will start making different vehicle choices. For many like me it doesnā€™t matter because we have other vehicles to drive that are much more fuel efficient and a lot quieter/more comfortable to ride in. Itā€™s not like when we were younger and had just two vehicles that both 30,000+ miles a year. My wife and I now put maybe 30,000 miles/year total on 3 vehicles and the Bronco sees the fewest.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™ve been looking at the same thing with regards to size and weight. Iā€™m torn right now between 32.8ā€ 51# 285/70R17 BFG KO2 stock Badlands tires, 33.8ā€ 59# 285/75R17 Toyo Open Country, or 34.5ā€ 63# 35x11.5R17 Toyo Open Country for my Badlands. I was interested in staying skinny to minimize rolling resistance, so I havenā€™t been considering something like a 315/70R17.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Iā€™ve been looking at the same thing with regards to size and weight. Iā€™m torn right now between 32.8ā€ 51# 285/70R17 BFG KO2 stock Badlands tires, 33.8ā€ 59# 285/75R17 Toyo Open Country, or 34.5ā€ 63# 35x11.5R17 Toyo Open Country for my Badlands. I was interested in staying skinny to minimize rolling resistance, so I havenā€™t been considering something like a 315/70R17.
If you're keen on load range C tires, Toyo now makes a 35x12.5r17 open country at3 that is 59 lbs.

Coincidentally I didn't believe it (especially since the part number didn't register with a lot of vendors) and reached out to them, and they confirmed this morning it is indeed lighter than the 35x11.5

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Weight and weights further from your axle are your enemy. A lot of of people are confused about rolling resistance. FACT: Wider tires have rolling LESS resistance along with larger diameter tires roll easier than smaller ones.
If you donā€™t believe, Google itā€¦

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tire mass matters more than width everything else being equal. Tire tread design can change rolling resistance as much or more than an extra inch(8.6%) in tire width. Tire pressure also matters. Also outer mass of the tire matters a lot more than inner mass of the wheel.

Either way, any 35ā€ or larger tire on a Bronco is going to result in poor fuel economy whether your getting 14 mpg or 18 mpg. Physics are unforgiving and the the drag coefficient and weight of the vehicle make them poor choices if yourā€™e looking for fuel efficiency. If fuel prices stay at over $4 per gallon for a couple years or more, lots of people will start making different vehicle choices. For many like me it doesnā€™t matter because we have other vehicles to drive that are much more fuel efficient and a lot quieter/more comfortable to ride in. Itā€™s not like when we were younger and had just two vehicles that both 30,000+ miles a year. My wife and I now put maybe 30,000 miles/year total on 3 vehicles and the Bronco sees the fewest.
FACT: Wider tires have LESS rolling resistance than narrower ones and larger diameter tires have LESS rolling than smaller diameter. For the same tread design.
I donā€™t know why people keep confusing this? Weight and itā€™s placement are your enemy.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yup...right now the Open Country AT3 is on the top of my list. It is "C" rated, and lighter-ish.

If you're keen on load range C tires, Toyo now makes a 35x12.5r17 open country at3 that is 59 lbs.

Coincidentally I didn't believe it (especially since the part number didn't register with a lot of vendors) and reached out to them, and they confirmed this morning it is indeed lighter than the 35x11.5

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yup...right now the Open Country AT3 is on the top of my list. It is "C" rated, and lighter-ish.
Yeah, that's what I'm going with when the Goodyears wear down and start singing the song of their people
Sponsored