North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Alright, I'll stick my nose in this spirited melee and likely get mocked. It's ok. I have kids.

So my WT will be my DD. Probably 1K miles/ month in commuting. We ski/ snowboard 20 days/ year and I'd love to plow through powder, and yet we have hot, dry summers and a short rainy season here in the greater Sacramento, CA area. Other offroad uses will be camping in the Tahoe foothills several times a year and making a trip to rip up some sand every year or so.

As I dodge the stones thrown, any advice on tires for a fellow Bronco owner?
What are the current requements heading up to the Sierras, chains only, three peak rated tires okay, or? That will drive some tire recommendations.

Grew up in Sacramento myself with many a day in those mountains skiing, camping and backpacking.
Sponsored

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Adding in my 2 cents. I ran Duratracs on my WK2 (in profile pic) in 275 65 18 before moving to the KO2s. Good off road and snow tire and I did experience poor grip on wet asphalt, even when new. I actually had several butt puckering events when trying to make a turn when it was raining and it tried to go straight instead. I learned quickly and adapted my driving when it was wet out. One thing though, is that they became LOUD, like too the point the wifey hated driving in it and it caused a low frequency hum that reverberated through the entire chassis making damn near plastic piece in the vehicle squeak, rattle, and buzz. After about 40k, they basically turned into mud terrains for ride and sound. The KO2s are very smooth in comparison (they are still new though, so mileage may affect this), and great in snow. I haven't gotten them muddy yet, so can't provide any off road opinions. The KO2s also ran smaller than the Duratracs they replaced.

530Squatch

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 HD Silverado Duramax Turbo Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What are the current requements heading up to the Sierras, chains only, three peak rated tires okay, or? That will drive some tire recommendations.

Grew up in Sacramento myself with many a day in those mountains skiing, camping and backpacking.
@North7 Great question- when CalTrans makes you chain up, they inspect your tires to show that you are M+S. Otherwise they make you chain up, even w/ all terrain tires and the like (note: could just be a silly California thing... don't get me started about this state).
On my 4wd '02 Silverado (quad cab turbo diesel) I throw 6 sandbags in the bed near the tailgate; that, with Cooper Discoverer M+S tires on stock wheels, I barely notice the damn snow nor ice in 4H. Plow through like butter.

So yeah, if any of y'all have some time to give me advice on tire selection for my upcoming WT and what I plan to use 'er for I'd be much obliged.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't get it, so what's the point of something being an LT then? I thought load rating was the main or only difference?
Stiffer side walls is about the only difference. Yeah I don't really get it either. But look at the specs of some tires that come in P and LT. Her is another example.

Falken Wildpeaks AT3W

P285/70-17
SL rated
4 ply
Max load rating 2833

LT285/70-17
C rated
6 ply
Max load rating 2755/2535

But they have an
LT285/70-17
E rated
10 ply
Max load rating 3195/2910

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
LUL WuT

628022285/70R17117T32.7611.50283344148.57.59.5RBL560 A B$249.45

628008LT285/70R17E121/118S32.7611.653195/291080158.57.59.5RBL$282.75
628004LT315/70R17E121/118S34.3313.153195/291065159.5810.5RBL$331.25

The specs I got straight from Kenda. I don't trust tire sites anymore. One had the Kenda Klever RT in a 33x10.5x17 listed with a weight of 47lbs. Actual weight when I got them was 64lbs. I called Kenda to get the weight of the AT2 and it was spot on when I got them. I would tend to trust the manufacturer.

Sponsored

Csn_87

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I give up - how can all you guys who seem to know a hella lot more than I do - COMPLETELY DISAGREE about these tires? This shit should be empirical. Either a tire is good in the rain or its not. It's quiet or it's not. It wears out quickly or it doesn't. It's winter rated or it's not. But you guys are all over the place.

"Goodyears are OK, no they suck! KO2's are like God's own rubber, bullshit they're horrible!"

Go back to the conference room and figure this shit out, then come back here and give a unified answer.

Dammit.
The reason why nobody agrees is because tires are subjective actually. The performance of the tire vastly depends on the vehicle it's on as well. Very few people have actually ran many different tires before ON THE SAME VEHICLE. Most people find one tire that does, or what they think does, pretty good and just stick with that over and over. That is why you have a lot of KO2 fanboys, they don't know anything else. Some people are saying they ran them on Jeeps, Tacoma's, F-150s, all of which are going to perform very different even if they're all running the same tire. And the other reason people don't agree is because they weigh performance in different categories differently. Some people think quiet ride and tread life is what defines a good tire, some people think it is wet traction, some people think it's how good it does in the mud, or in the snow. A lot of people are willing to give up one of those categories to be good in a couple other categories and then determine whether a tire is good or bad to them based off of that, which could be completely different than the next user.

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Inexperienced question here:

How does alignment work with these machines? Necessary?

I asked because they are designed to hit bumps!

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@North7 Great question- when CalTrans makes you chain up, they inspect your tires to show that you are M+S. Otherwise they make you chain up, even w/ all terrain tires and the like (note: could just be a silly California thing... don't get me started about this state).
On my 4wd '02 Silverado (quad cab turbo diesel) I throw 6 sandbags in the bed near the tailgate; that, with Cooper Discoverer M+S tires on stock wheels, I barely notice the damn snow nor ice in 4H. Plow through like butter.

So yeah, if any of y'all have some time to give me advice on tire selection for my upcoming WT and what I plan to use 'er for I'd be much obliged.
Your needs are like a number of forum members from the northeast posting they also can only buy 3-Peak rated tires. Your Wildtrak will come with the Goodyear Territory MT (maximum traction) 35" tires. Some early information said Goodyear was trying to get them 3-Peak rated, if so, they should be good for your first season to see how they perform. Your decision to buy the Wildtrak will limit your choices of 35" tires with 3-Peak rating. I'm buying the Badlands with the stock 33" tires as their is a much larger selection of tires in the 33" size.

Specific recommendations are so subjective, I've seen most brands recommended for and against on the forum, everyone's needs and opinion vary and few mention M&S or 3-Peak. Its hard to find a tire website with a search function for M&S or 3-Peak tires, but I've only checked three. I've read Caltrans waves people thru with 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake rated tires, you would have to confirm.

Tirerack lets you search for 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake rated tires where Discount Tire (America's Tire) does not. If you select compare, you will see the "Winter/Snow Performance" for each tire.
Tire Rack 315/70R17 3-Peak tires/

(Regarding your note "(could just be a silly California thing... don't get me started about this state)." I got started myself and moved to Texas four years ago. 😜)

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yes, it is necessary, the alignment works like any other truck, best to buy a Firestone Lifetime Alignment.
LIFETIME WHEEL ALIGNMENT SERVICE
With a lifetime wheel alignment service, drivers receive alignments free of charge every 6 months or 6,000 miles for as long as they own the vehicle. Talk to an automotive technician at your local Firestone Complete Auto Care for complete terms and conditions.
https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/repair/alignment/services/

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The specs I got straight from Kenda. I don't trust tire sites anymore. One had the Kenda Klever RT in a 33x10.5x17 listed with a weight of 47lbs. Actual weight when I got them was 64lbs. I called Kenda to get the weight of the AT2 and it was spot on when I got them. I would tend to trust the manufacturer.
I took those directly from Kendas website...

Sponsored

Schmack B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yes these trucks need to be aligned like all vehicles. Castor and Camber angles will be adjustable at the LCA inward mounting bolts, and Toe at the Tie rods.

Yes, it is necessary, the alignment works like any other truck, best to buy a Firestone Lifetime Alignment.
As a former Firestone Alignment tech all i have to say is good luck to the lifetime. They barley ever honor it, and there is all kind of stipulations. All maintence, tire ,brake work has to be done there at there full price. i dont think its worth the trouble when alignments can be had for $79 at smaller shops. This was a couple years back, maybe things have changed now.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

As a former Firestone Alignment tech all i have to say is good luck to the lifetime. They barley ever honor it, and there is all kind of stipulations. All maintence, tire ,brake work has to be done there at there full price. i dont think its worth the trouble when alignments can be had for $79 at smaller shops. This was a couple years back, maybe things have changed now.
Wow, great information, thank you for posting.

OP
OP

Gaggs11

Badlands
First Name
Gagik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ GT3, 19’ Cayenne, 20’ Model S, 87’ Supra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not seeing the snow rating. The TireRack chart form gives them a 2 (shitty) in snow and the only review was on the 315's where the poor wet and snow capabilities were mentioned. It was a substantial reason I skipped SQ'ing up, all I heard was that they were trying to get the three peak rating, but it never materialized. Can you screen shot where you see the information?

Edit; the KO2 is severe snow rated, did you inadvertently switch BFG and GY in your post? (the GY's are not listed under any snow rating elsewhere on the site.)
Haha, they changed it and took it out. It was definitely there initially. I will edit the initial post to avoid the confusion.

OP
OP

Gaggs11

Badlands
First Name
Gagik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ GT3, 19’ Cayenne, 20’ Model S, 87’ Supra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It seems Tirerack has updated the new specs for the Territory MT tires.

GY Territory MT 285/70R17 45 lbs.
GY Territory MT 315/70R17 52 lbs

None of them appears severe snow rated. I have updated the initial post.

530Squatch

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 HD Silverado Duramax Turbo Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your needs are like a number of forum members from the northeast posting they also can only buy 3-Peak rated tires. Your Wildtrak will come with the Goodyear Territory MT (maximum traction) 35" tires. Some early information said Goodyear was trying to get them 3-Peak rated, if so, they should be good for your first season to see how they perform. Your decision to buy the Wildtrak will limit your choices of 35" tires with 3-Peak rating. I'm buying the Badlands with the stock 33" tires as their is a much larger selection of tires in the 33" size.

Specific recommendations are so subjective, I've seen most brands recommended for and against on the forum, everyone's needs and opinion vary and few mention M&S or 3-Peak. Its hard to find a tire website with a search function for M&S or 3-Peak tires, but I've only checked three. I've read Caltrans waves people thru with 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake rated tires, you would have to confirm.

Tirerack lets you search for 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake rated tires where Discount Tire (America's Tire) does not. If you select compare, you will see the "Winter/Snow Performance" for each tire.
Tire Rack 315/70R17 3-Peak tires/

(Regarding your note "(could just be a silly California thing... don't get me started about this state)." I got started myself and moved to Texas four years ago. 😜)
@North7 thanks so much! Very helpful. I’ll do some perusing.
Sponsored