Sponsored

Tire size and Gearing… questions and thoughts in theory.

Texasgrillchef

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, Harley Trike, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
These are thoughts and idea on theory as well as questions…

if I say something incorrectly or I am off base. PLEASE feel free to correct me but do so in a respectful manner please. I am still learning, even though I have been wheeling for years.

Tires… The larger the tires the higher the top speed. However due to the physics of increased weight as well as the laws of leverage and rotational power. The larger the tire circumference the more power needed to rotate that tire. The increased power/torque needed also lowers gas mileage even though each tire rotation will take you further distance per turn. Larger tires also allow for a smoother ride over rougher road surfaces, and allow one to cross bigger holes and climb bigger steps and rocks With less torque power and effort needed. what I am unsure of is on level grounds larger tires provide more torque or less torque to the road surface then smaller tires. When all other things are equal (engine, gearing, rpm, etc..)

Gears… level , vs, level 4, vs level 5. The higher the gear ratio. The more torque, & power to your tires and to the ground. Yet this comes at a cost of lower fuel economy, and lower top speed of vehicle.

when we increase tire size, we usually need to increase gear ratios to maintain and Keep top speed of vehicle equal. Vice versa to that lower gear ratios if we want to maintain and keep equal fuel economy. Yet for off roading, we usually go with increasing our gear ratios to reduce the stress on our gears, and drive train. because we are more likely to strip our level 3 gears with 37’s then we are to strip level 5 gears with 37’s.

Heres what I am getting at…

I have been to Moab about 6 times. (Sadly not in my Bronco yet). I have done many of the big trails. hells revenge, poison spider, Kanes creek, top of the world, etc…

my first trip to Moab I did it in a stock Xterra Pro 4x with 33” tires, and only a rear locker. I did poison spider, hells revenge, top of the world with no issues. On later trips I had upgraded gears to 4.88, 35” tires, front and rear lockers, and. Even a full titan swap, steering upgrade, etc… and did kanes creek and many other tougher trails with no issues.

So now with a Badlands, 2.7 engine, Sasquatch packed bronco. Currently for most part stock with 35” tires. I did get the true bead lock rings, extra skids for those items that didn’t come stock with skids.

i Do a lot of overlanding with a 2500lb overland off Road trailer.

I am wondering do I really need to upgrade gears, and go to 37’s and all the other requirements to get my bronco to even fit 37’s for the wheeling I do?

i plan on doing the pony express trail, and I want to do the rubicon once California figures some of the gun stuff out with SCOTUS. lol! Maybe never. lol.

i do have the bronco buster ultimate steering upgrade on order and will have that installed along with FMI heim tie rods sometime in the next 90 days done.

Is my theory correct? Thoughts?
Sponsored