Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I want to replace the 255s on my BB (when it gets here) with 275s. Is there a minimum size difference that requires recalibration? The 255R75/17s are practically the same diameter as the 275R70/17s (1/10 of an inch bigger). At 65mph, the difference is only .2 mph faster. I have never swapped tires on previous vehicles, so I really don't know what the standard is (if there is one).
Sponsored

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is a minuscule difference- I certainly would not pay for a recalibration. It can be done if, and when, the time comes for other changes need to be made.

babraunagel

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want to replace the 255s on my BB (when it gets here) with 275s. Is there a minimum size difference that requires recalibration? The 255R75/17s are practically the same diameter as the 275R70/17s (1/10 of an inch bigger). At 65mph, the difference is only .2 mph faster. I have never swapped tires on previous vehicles, so I really don't know what the standard is (if there is one).
Yep, that's a pretty small difference. You can make the change yourself using the free FORscan software if you want.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree, not worth reprogramming for a less than 1% change. That is probably within the +/- accuracy of the speedo to accurately measure speed.

A 5% change might be worth it

A 10% change, yes I would use Forscan and make the update

Steve62

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The attached link will give you an idea of how tire changes affect calibrations. It's pretty interesting. For example I have a BB too and am thinking about adding Sasquatch rims with 35" tires. According to the speed calibration window on this link, if I didn't recalibrate and my speedometer still thought I was using 32" tires, when it registered 60mph, i'd actually be going 64mph. The odometer would be off too.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Sponsored

Last edited: