First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How do you know if any of these people selling take offs are legit? I’ve seen many that are in my price range on different Bronco pages and of course none are close to me ( NY) and they all offer shipping but they all always say DM me, I’m not up on all the latest scams, is there a way to protect yourself sending someone $1k ?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Use Paypal (not friends & family) or Venmo...both protect the buyer and seller.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How do you know if any of these people selling take offs are legit? I’ve seen many that are in my price range on different Bronco pages and of course none are close to me ( NY) and they all offer shipping but they all always say DM me, I’m not up on all the latest scams, is there a way to protect yourself sending someone $1k ?
Remember the golden rule: if it is too good to be true...way under market value then stay away.

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Only use PayPal Good & Services. Not Venmo either as suggested. People have lost to scammers with Venmo's protection services.

Ask them to take a picture of the goods with a piece of paper with hand written date and their name.

As said, if it is too good to be true...

Do not place deposits.

Check eBay.

Or only buy local in person.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
PayPal and Venmo offer only marginal protection. And as the poster above noted, if you do anything other than PP goods and services the protection is non existent.

There are known scams on eBay where a box is filled with ballast weight to make it look like the seller sent the real thing, and then it is their word against yours whether the item was delivered. As others have said, don't do it unless you know the source. You can ask them for multiple ways to validate that they are who they say they are, a good one is DMs on sites with a Buy/sell feedback mechanism. For example I have been on a photo enthusiast site since 2006 with probably 100+ successful transactions as both a buyer and a seller, at least a dozen+ in the 2k+ range.

Shipping tires and wheels at the retail level is prohibitively expensive, so anyone willing to do it and still sell at an attractive price should be viewed with suspicion.

And if you decide to be brave (or stupid? 😂) document the unboxing on video, starting with the as received box with unbroken seals.

Last edited:

wsdowns

Base
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've bought 2 sets of OBX take-offs, both in person (cash transaction). My recommendation is to talk directly to the seller and make sure of what you're getting (also ask about tire pressure monitors). Once you're confident of what you're getting then just setup a time and place to meet. I don't think I'd ever do this virtually... Drove from Atlanta to Charleston for the first set and found the second set nearby. Good luck!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bought a set of used Ford Ranger wheels from a guy on eBay. Out of state listing, he had good history, and I used the eBay UI and PayPal. Work out fine - happy with the wheels. As others have said, especially when spending a lot, at least try and use PayPal and buy via a service so you are not just sending money and hoping.

From an FB Marketplace listing I bought a set of slightly used 35" Territories from a local Bronco guy. I looked at the tires in person first and paid cash. I like Marketplace for local purchases. Bought a Wrangler spare tire/wheel and some other stuff via Marketplace local, so far so good.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If pick up is not an option. Then I’m not buying it. I’ve played along with a few and they push shipping. Promise fast and special rates. A brother is always in the mix for more pics or getting it shipped. They refuse to use PayPal goods or services invoice.

Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
PayPal and Venmo offer only marginal protection. And as the poster above noted, if you do anything other than PP goods and services the protection is non existent.

There are known scams on eBay where a box is filled with ballast weight to make it look like the seller sent the real thing, and then it is their word against yours whether the item was delivered. As others have said, don't do it unless you know the source. You can ask them for multiple ways to validate that they are who they say they are, a good one is DMs on sites with a Buy/sell feedback mechanism. For example I have been on a photo enthusiast site since 2006 with probably 100+ successful transactions as both a buyer and a seller, at least a dozen+ in the 2k+ range.

Shipping tires and wheels at the retail level is prohibitively expensive, so anyone willing to do it and still sell at an attractive price should be viewed with suspicion.

And if you decide to be brave (or stupid? 😂) document the unboxing on video, starting with the as received box with unbroken seals.
eBay will refund buyers money no questioned asked. Shipped and delivered. I won’t sell on there anymore. People just make up excuses and get a refund even though you don’t provide refunds. eBay does and returns the money from you.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
eBay will refund buyers money no questioned asked. Shipped and delivered. I won’t sell on there anymore. People just make up excuses and get a refund even though you don’t provide refunds. eBay does and returns the money from you.
I have no experience selling items on eBay. Are you saying a buyer can claim they did not receive an item I shipped after sale, and then eBay can take back the money I was paid, and I am left with no money and no item?

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no experience selling items on eBay. Are you saying a buyer can claim they did not receive an item I shipped after sale, and then eBay can take back the money I was paid, and I am left with no money and no item?
Buyer simply states it broken or slightly different than description. eBay will give them a refund from your bank account. Example. I sold a Cannon camera and said it includes a camera bag seen in picture. Buyer said it didn’t say Cannon on bag and got a refund. Either they keep item or ship it back in your dime. Another item buyer said it didn’t work within 1 hour of receiving it. Impossible to test within 1 hour but they wanted a refund and got it. eBay sucks.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've bought 2 sets of OBX take-offs, both in person (cash transaction). My recommendation is to talk directly to the seller and make sure of what you're getting (also ask about tire pressure monitors). Once you're confident of what you're getting then just setup a time and place to meet. I don't think I'd ever do this virtually... Drove from Atlanta to Charleston for the first set and found the second set nearby. Good luck!
I drove three hours only to find out the seller (A Ford dealership sales manager) lied about TPMS sensors. I was so pissed. Guy hardballed me and said whoops, price is the same.