Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a non SAS OBX.

Educate me on Rim Size and Tire Size. Do the rims and the tire need to be the same size? Example, what size rim do you need if you run 33's, 35's? if the 35 number the width of the tire at the tread or the base of the tire that bead goes onto the rim?

I have never quite understood or been able to find the right info on what size tire beyond OEM would fit on the stock rims? Can I go with a bigger tire without getting a bigger rim? I have seen threads and pics of rims/tires but just don't fully understand.

If this is redundant, my apologies. I know there are threads out there with Tires/Wheels but I just don't fully understand it. Thanks.

How much bigger of a rim/tire can you get on a non SAS without rubbing?
Don't confuse rim (wheel) size with tire size. The 33, 35, etc. is the TIRE DIAMETER in inches. If it was the width it would be roughly twice the width of a top fuel dragster; think about that (because those are HUGE meats).

Rims for the Bronco are going to range from 16" to 18" diameter in general, with 17" being the most common. When shopping for a tire you'll need to find a tire that matches your wheel diameter and wheel width (typically 7" to 9"). The internal diameter (distance from bead to bead across the center) of the tire needs to match the wheel while the width of the tire has wiggle room and people commonly run a tire with a width that is greater than the wheel; the tire maker has a chart for every tire showing which sizes are rated to fit which wheel sizes (and Ford has a chart with wheel dimensions on each of the Bronco offerings).

As to your fitment/rubbing question I believe some others have addressed that and there are some (long, detailed) threads here devoted specifically to the topic of stuffing rubber into wheel wells that you may wish to review. Another major issue to consider when going BIG is the effect upon the suspension geometry - especially with Bronco's use of IFS.

So, absolutely YES, you can get bigger tires on your stock rims - it's a common and easy swap. Not knowing your model it's hard to say what the easy out of the box options are. For me, hoping that Krampus someday parks a non-Squatch Badlands in my garage, I'd feel pretty good about going from the stock 33's to 35's on the stock rims. Don't have any plans for it atm but it's not a dramatic change (IMO).
Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mine is a non Sasquatch OBX with Sasquatch wheels I bought locally and put on 315/70R17 Falken Wildpeaks and a 1.25” leveling kit. Crash bars removed and zero rubbing.

Ford Bronco Tires and Wheels. Educate Me. CA17BF2D-E4EE-4890-AED5-3E7F203B51D3
Ford Bronco Tires and Wheels. Educate Me. EF8A8F6C-0117-43E1-A029-2F3A8F0B20D2

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
285s (33s) should fit. I direct swapped mine with no rub.
295+ will require removing crash bars
Stock offset is a +55. If you replace the rims I would lean towards a +30ish or you will have a lot of poke (or get sas flares).
You can also consider a level or a lift/level to compensate. They also sell modified crash bars if you really want them.
295's (33.5" actual) will fit easy with a +30 offset 17x9 rim WITHOUT having to remove the crash bars.

No need for a lift with the 33.5" tires on the OBX.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
1- you need TPMS or you will get a warning light on your dash
2 - Whether you need to remove the crash bars will depend on the tire size you are planning to run
Unless you disable TPMS with Forscan.
Sponsored