Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Autobahn GTI
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a non SAS OBX.

Educate me on Rim Size and Tire Size. Do the rims and the tire need to be the same size? Example, what size rim do you need if you run 33's, 35's? if the 35 number the width of the tire at the tread or the base of the tire that bead goes onto the rim?

I have never quite understood or been able to find the right info on what size tire beyond OEM would fit on the stock rims? Can I go with a bigger tire without getting a bigger rim? I have seen threads and pics of rims/tires but just don't fully understand.

If this is redundant, my apologies. I know there are threads out there with Tires/Wheels but I just don't fully understand it. Thanks.

How much bigger of a rim/tire can you get on a non SAS without rubbing?
Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

285s (33s) should fit. I direct swapped mine with no rub.
295+ will require removing crash bars
Stock offset is a +55. If you replace the rims I would lean towards a +30ish or you will have a lot of poke (or get sas flares).
You can also consider a level or a lift/level to compensate. They also sell modified crash bars if you really want them.

RedDoor16

Outer Banks
First Name
Hudson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I got a non sas obx in November so rims are 18. This past week I had 285/65/18 bfg’s k02s added. Would’ve fit without a lift, but went ahead and added a 2” lift and I love it. No lift can look really squatty and potentially rub (though most haven’t had any issues it seems with 33) Attached a couple pictures for reference.
Ford Bronco Tires and Wheels. Educate Me. E31568A9-A3A4-468D-AC18-816BE838484C
Ford Bronco Tires and Wheels. Educate Me. 21363570-481B-4026-9A16-1370DF72FD3F
Ford Bronco Tires and Wheels. Educate Me. D7B387F0-2E30-4CD3-9753-A858246C511D

dbattle

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a non SAS OBX.

Educate me on Rim Size and Tire Size. Do the rims and the tire need to be the same size? Example, what size rim do you need if you run 33's, 35's? if the 35 number the width of the tire at the tread or the base of the tire that bead goes onto the rim?

I have never quite understood or been able to find the right info on what size tire beyond OEM would fit on the stock rims? Can I go with a bigger tire without getting a bigger rim? I have seen threads and pics of rims/tires but just don't fully understand.

If this is redundant, my apologies. I know there are threads out there with Tires/Wheels but I just don't fully understand it. Thanks.

If you want to see what other OBX owners have done I put together a little spreadsheet you can download to review. I included as much tire/wheel/lift information as I could, I could only provide as much as people were willing to share.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/obx-tire-wheels-lift-upgrades-spreadsheet.51924/

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a non SAS OBX.

Easiest is going to reputable tire shop. There are so many variations that everyone runs on here. Im not talking about walmart. You could even call tirerack. They are pretty knowledgable. Mine are 315/70/17 on big bend. Crash bars removed. No rub lock to lock. About an inch of poke. +25 offset rim

Ford Bronco Tires and Wheels. Educate Me. 6C792CF7-BD38-4054-B2BC-68C17BBA71E9

Ford Bronco Tires and Wheels. Educate Me. E06FCD71-1D28-49C1-921D-71A403CB0477

Sponsored

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a non SAS OBX.

33" seems to be the safest and largest tire size you can go from what I've seen. In my opinion easiest route to get there is one of two ways:
  • Buying 285/70/R18 Tires (KO2's are very popular)
  • Put a set of Badlands (non-squatch) take-off wheels which are 285/70/R17's. This is the route I'll be going.
Good luck!

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a non SAS OBX.

Before any of the above, go HERE. They have a whole tutorial explaining everything you want to know about tire and wheel sizes, offset, etc. You can compare sizes visually, and they list alternate sizes so you can see what’s available. It’s a must-read…

www.tiresize.com

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your in harsh winter area, so pick an nice All Terrain and a painted wheel from a good manufacture. Aftermarket wheels tend to get ugly quicker that factory wheel FYI. I would look into Wildpeak AT3 or similar in a 34" size like LT285/75R17

OP
OP
EndlessAdvnture

EndlessAdvnture

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Autobahn GTI
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Before any of the above, go HERE. They have a whole tutorial explaining everything you want to know about tire and wheel sizes, offset, etc. You can compare sizes visually, and they list alternate sizes so you can see what’s available. It’s a must-read…

www.tiresize.com
THANK YOU!! This is what I have been looking for. I will look over this and then decide if I am going bigger with a lift or just bigger and the same rim. THANKS!!

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This might help with understanding offset.

Ford Bronco Tires and Wheels. Educate Me. B0248298-BDB9-4A4A-A0DC-D3A1C40FE1A6

Sponsored
OP
OP
EndlessAdvnture

EndlessAdvnture

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Autobahn GTI
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I got a non sas obx in November so rims are 18. This past week I had 285/65/18 bfg’s k02s added. Would’ve fit without a lift, but went ahead and added a 2” lift and I love it. No lift can look really squatty and potentially rub (though most haven’t had any issues it seems with 33) Attached a couple pictures for reference.
I really like this look? Huge difference in road noise from Stock to these? Huge decrease in MPG? I like the look a lot. Thanks for the imput.

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a non SAS OBX.

If you want to keep the stock rims, you can run a 33-inch tire with no problems.

RedDoor16

Outer Banks
First Name
Hudson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I really like this look? Huge difference in road noise from Stock to these? Huge decrease in MPG? I like the look a lot. Thanks for the imput.
Noise - no change at all. The 285 is about 33.7” and I think you’d need to go to 35” (Sasquatch size) to really feel a bit difference.
MPG - so far minimal but only been about half a tanks worth of driving. Seeing a slight downturn in mostly only city driving.

10 months driving around with stock set up vs a week or so with the new one and it’s so much more fun now.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So looking at the website tiresize.com, Im not sure I understand how offset is implemented. Is it built into the rim, or is it something else? I see the effect that a negative offset has versus a positive one, but again, is that built into the rim, or how is implemented?

Thank you,

GoobertownDaddy

Base
First Name
Murphy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2004 JEEP WRANGLER, 2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

E31568A9-A3A4-468D-AC18-816BE838484C.jpeg
21363570-481B-4026-9A16-1370DF72FD3F.jpeg
D7B387F0-2E30-4CD3-9753-A858246C511D.jpeg
Ford Bronco Tires and Wheels. Educate Me. IMG_3328
Ford Bronco Tires and Wheels. Educate Me. IMG_3366
Ford Bronco Tires and Wheels. Educate Me. IMG_3318

We put 35x12.5 on ours... 2" lift.
Sponsored