First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands 2022
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I took my Badlands Bronco in for 12000 mile service. I had one tire that I needed to put air in a lot so asked them to check that. I had previously aired it up at a gas station and the mechanic told me that the tire was not sealed around the rim correctly. I looked at my other tires and thought I saw similar. The dealer called me a week later (still have my car as it has been bucking - in another thread) and told me I had a nail in the right front passenger side. I needed a new tire but I also should replace the other three too because they are 50 percent. How could that be? It has 12000 miles. That means I need four new tires on a car that is not even a year old. I see other posts where Ford replaced the tires due to sidewall damage and bulges. I don’t know the terms but for sure should not have to purchase tires already for a new car. This is so suspect as I have not done any four wheeling, and mostly highway mileage. The uneven acceleration could that cause more tire damage? If the car was vibrating too much to begin with? Not aligned? I bought a new car as I didn’t want to spend money on maintenance and needed a reliable car. At $40000 this is costing me a mint.. It is still at Ted Britt dealership in Fairfax, VA as I have insisted there has to be something wrong with this car from the get go.
Sponsored

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One man’s 50% is another man’s 5%. I’ve also learned that one’s perception of tire wear is directly proportional to the amount of money one makes selling tires.

Get a 2nd opinion on the tire wear.

OP
OP
Eyates

Eyates

Badlands
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you. If I have to replace one tire does that mean I have to replace all? That is the other reason they recommended four new tires. One has a nail puncture and since others are “50%” and 4WD I need to replace all.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A mail in the sidewall is a replacement every time, in the tread is repairable 99% of the time. Ask for the tread depth of the tires.

A ford dealer told me my wife’s expedition brake pads were worn out. 20,000 miles later I changed the pads when they were worn out. Remember the dealers make money selling new tires.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you. If I have to replace one tire does that mean I have to replace all? That is the other reason they recommended four new tires. One has a nail puncture and since others are “50%” and 4WD I need to replace all.
It's not a full time AWD system.

What's the tread depth of your tires now?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Eyates

Eyates

Badlands
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I haven’t looked at it myself but the dealer called and told me that the 3 tires that are at 50%. Why too would they wear down so quickly? I am not a maniac or have I been four wheeling at all. Thank you!

OP
OP
Eyates

Eyates

Badlands
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I haven’t looked at it myself but the dealer called and told me that the 3 tires that are at 50%. Why too would they wear down so quickly? I am not a maniac or have I been four wheeling at all. Thank you!

OP
OP
Eyates

Eyates

Badlands
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A mail in the sidewall is a replacement every time, in the tread is repairable 99% of the time. Ask for the tread depth of the tires.

A ford dealer told me my wife’s expedition brake pads were worn out. 20,000 miles later I changed the pads when they were worn out. Remember the dealers make money selling new tires.
50 percent but I don’t know as I haven’t seen the car in 2 weeks. They have it still

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have you been rotating all 5? This is why I went with the 5 tire rotation. And no way I'm buying new tires with 50% left...

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If the tire has a nail in it and dealership refuses to properly fix it then leave the tires as is. Once they are done with it concerning the other issues, take delivery and go to another tire store and have them do a tread depth measurement of all 4 against your spare while you are present and let them tell you the % of wear. Once they do this, have them dismount the tire with nail and have them repair it. They will take the tire off the rim and patch it from inside the tire. Remount and be through with it. Even if 50% is correct, you still have serviceable tires to drive on. The problem with these types of tires is its hard to equate ones wear to another. If you doing mostly highway miles then you are generating a lot of heat in them and may cause premature wear compared to driving in city- stop and go traffic. Where heat is gained and released differently. So its hard to ask anyone for comparison of ones tires due to driving habit and driving enviroments are all different.

Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You are constantly stating you haven't seen the tires in 2 weeks is not the problem. The problem to me is you not checking your tires regularly. Even if you are walking to or from, you need to get into practicing looking at them often. This way you can address issues as they start to incur. I know I look at mine coming and going just about every instance. Hell its such a habit I tend to always look at others around me, and most of the time shaking my head in disbelief. You have had the Bronco for a year, you should of been able to confirm or deny what the dealership service tech was telling you about your tires. Just my 2¢! Not trying to be a asshat, just being truthful.

OP
OP
Eyates

Eyates

Badlands
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you @Grumpy You are correct. I need to look at my tires which will help me be able to tell. Appreciate the advice.

OP
OP
Eyates

Eyates

Badlands
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the tire has a nail in it and dealership refuses to properly fix it then leave the tires as is. Once they are done with it concerning the other issues, take delivery and go to another tire store and have them do a tread depth measurement of all 4 against your spare while you are present and let them tell you the % of wear. Once they do this, have them dismount the tire with nail and have them repair it. They will take the tire off the rim and patch it from inside the tire. Remount and be through with it. Even if 50% is correct, you still have serviceable tires to drive on. The problem with these types of tires is its hard to equate ones wear to another. If you doing mostly highway miles then you are generating a lot of heat in them and may cause premature wear compared to driving in city- stop and go traffic. Where heat is gained and released differently. So its hard to ask anyone for comparison of ones tires due to driving habit and driving enviroments are all different.
Will do! Appreciate the time and advice!

OP
OP
Eyates

Eyates

Badlands
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you been rotating all 5? This is why I went with the 5 tire rotation. And no way I'm buying new tires with 50% left...
I have not rotated the tires. I am going to say I did big think I needed to do that. I was not offered the 5 tire rotation that I remember but the service and maintenance I included. I best go back and read my manual!

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I took my Badlands Bronco in for 12000 mile service. I had one tire that I needed to put air in a lot so asked them to check that. I had previously aired it up at a gas station and the mechanic told me that the tire was not sealed around the rim correctly. I looked at my other tires and thought I saw similar. The dealer called me a week later (still have my car as it has been bucking - in another thread) and told me I had a nail in the right front passenger side. I needed a new tire but I also should replace the other three too because they are 50 percent. How could that be? It has 12000 miles. That means I need four new tires on a car that is not even a year old. I see other posts where Ford replaced the tires due to sidewall damage and bulges. I don’t know the terms but for sure should not have to purchase tires already for a new car. This is so suspect as I have not done any four wheeling, and mostly highway mileage. The uneven acceleration could that cause more tire damage? If the car was vibrating too much to begin with? Not aligned? I bought a new car as I didn’t want to spend money on maintenance and needed a reliable car. At $40000 this is costing me a mint.. It is still at Ted Britt dealership in Fairfax, VA as I have insisted there has to be something wrong with this car from the get go.
The compound is soft on these tires. Mine are at 23000 with around 2k of off-road miles. They are all tore up and chunked from rocks and all leak slowly.
Sponsored