Sponsored

To wire the winch to an aux switch or not?

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Afternoon y’all - just installed the rough country high winch mount on my black diamond.

is there any point to wiring the winch to an aux switch? Last winch I had (decades ago), was very simple. Power wires to the battery - and a wired remote control (plugged in when needed) that operated the winch.

does a way exist to wire up the winch so that it can be operated via aux switches? Would there be a benefit to that?
Sponsored

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Afternoon y’all - just installed the rough country high winch mount on my black diamond.

is there any point to wiring the winch to an aux switch? Last winch I had (decades ago), was very simple. Power wires to the battery - and a wired remote control (plugged in when needed) that operated the winch.

does a way exist to wire up the winch so that it can be operated via aux switches? Would there be a benefit to that?
My winch is direct feed to the battery on my 4Runner (see avatar). I have aux switches but for some reason I cannot remember (and I'm sure someone here knows), it's supposed to go directly to the battery....oh, and they installed an optima battery as apparently they are made for winches and other higher drain battery uses....I use the Optima charger when my vehicle sits for a while...

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I would wire a power contactor to an aux switch, that will prevent a hot 12v running out to the winch. I wouldn’t wire it up to control the winch because the switches aren’t momentary and if one inadvertently get switched it could be a disaster

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree, direct wire with as little as cable necessary as possible. Sucks too much juice!

You don't need it that often that it is worth an AUX switch, keep those for more frequent users.

Wire an inline fuse followed by an inline water proof on/off switch. I think that is a better solution.
Sponsored