First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am trying to determine if I would be better off running a disconnect switch or a solenoid for my winch (Smittybilt X20 Gen 3). A switch would be cheaper, but my thinking is that a solenoid could be tied into one of the Aux switches.

As an alternative, is it possible to use a multi switch (ie. the Blue Sea 4 position selector switch) for both a winch disconnect and a disconnect for my dual battery setup? I already have a switch tied to my dual battery setup so that I can disconnect it when not needed. Could I replace that switch with a multi switch and use the same disconnect switch for both? I am not sure if that would work given the drastically different electrical draws and I have the switch fused on the battery side.

Anyone have any insights?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I presume you are referring to a relay (solenoid)? I went the relay route triggered by an Aux switch.

Looking at the Blue Sea 4 position selector...I don't see it working as you describe.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what I used for my winch...

Ford Bronco Switch or Solenoid for Winch solinoid_

Sloth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I did the solenoid wired to one of my AUX switches. It makes it easier to shut the system down from inside the vehicle in an emergency situation, especially if the hood is down.

this is the one I went with…
https://stingersolutions.com/products/500-amp-relay-and-isolator

The switch is a simple option if you find one with a high enough rating.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As an alternative, is it possible to use a multi switch (ie. the Blue Sea 4 position selector switch) for both a winch disconnect and a disconnect for my dual battery setup?
I haven't seen it done, but after taking a quick look at the switch I don't see any show stoppers - looks like it should work pending the proper amp rating. If it will act as you were wanting would be the question.

For example: (Output) would wire to (+) on your battery via a fuse or breaker. (1) would go to your spare battery via a fuse or breaker and (2) would go to your winch via a fuse or breaker. In Off - nothing extra is hooked up, (1) would be just your spare battery, (2) would be just your winch running on the primary battery alone, and (1+2) would be winch running on both primary and spare batteries. Make sure you use large enough gage wire and fuse according to wire size, and that none of the fuses are bigger than the amp rating of the switch.

Note: which item goes on which terminal doesn't really matter, just adjusts what is where for each position of the switch - the switch will work more or less like above no matter what you wire where, just a matter of what the label may say.

There could be an issue switching to the spare battery if the voltage between the primary and spare were too far apart - say you drained your primary and shifted over to the spare. There's going to be a lot of current as the spare goes to run the Bronco ~and~ charge the primary battery at the same time. Something to be aware of, as you would have no automatic protection for this case.

@Sloth is correct in that a large enough relay/solenoid would work just fine as well and allow you to control it with an upfitter, as you were asking.

@PWillette - large rating relays are often called solenoids - like your starter solenoid, which is just a big relay. But you are right, they are pretty much the same thing in this context, just different nomenclature.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Sloth I think I saw your Youtube video! Really clean install. Have you had any movement issues on the solenoid since you installed it?

Sloth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@LatitudeBronco

I’m not skilled enough to produce YouTube videos of anything. 😂

I have the winch solonoid mounted under the hood with the relay. It’s all mounted to the BAMF relocation bracket near the battery. I had to drill holes to match the stinger relay and bolt it in place with some “u-style” clip on nuts. It’s going nowhere without the rest of the vehicle. 😉

Ford Bronco Switch or Solenoid for Winch IMG_6953

Ford Bronco Switch or Solenoid for Winch IMG_6954

OP
OP
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Sloth That is funny. I thought it was you because there was a youtube video with the exact same solenoid and a red bronco, haha. I like the clip idea.

Robs

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am trying to determine if I would be better off running a disconnect switch or a solenoid for my winch (Smittybilt X20 Gen 3). A switch would be cheaper, but my thinking is that a solenoid could be tied into one of the Aux switches.

As an alternative, is it possible to use a multi switch (ie. the Blue Sea 4 position selector switch) for both a winch disconnect and a disconnect for my dual battery setup? I already have a switch tied to my dual battery setup so that I can disconnect it when not needed. Could I replace that switch with a multi switch and use the same disconnect switch for both? I am not sure if that would work given the drastically different electrical draws and I have the switch fused on the battery side.

Anyone have any insights?
I installed a 500 amp solenoid and mounted it just above the power dist unit drivers side. A 2 gauge battery cable for the power lead and the original winch power cable to the other lead. All ends double shrink wrapped And solenoid terminals are also insulated. The solenoid is powered by the 10 amp aux switch. Works perfectly and great protection against high amp short in the event of a front end collision

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I got something like this, wired to Aux 3 (mounted to enter fender wall right where the aux switch wires are).

Stinger SGP35 500-AMP Relay and Isolator https://a.co/d/aNWufYC

Also got a quick connect plug and tapped into the same wiring for my winch to use for my compressor.... Then I can use my winch or my compressor without having to pop the hood, But otherwise all those power wires are dead during normal driving.

Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's common not to use anything and to direct wire the winch. My Warn instructions didn't call for it.

That said I did use a big switch, 500 amp I think? I leave it off in day to day use.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wing nut...I put a wing nut on the terminal and only hook up when needed.
Sponsored