Towing capacity??

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does anyone have any idea or educated guesses what the towing capacity for the Bronco will be like? The Wrangler's towing capacity is pretty abysmal at 3000lbs, and if it's that low, I won't bother waiting and I'll just go get a Ranger. But considering it's based on the ranger's platform which is rated for 7500lbs, and it's been spotted benchmarking with the Toyota 4Runner, which is rated at 5000lbs (relatively close to the Tacoma at 6800lbs), so I (optimistically) don't think a 6000lb or so towing capacity is too terribly unrealistic. I just really want to be able to tow my Mustang with a full truck and not have to worry about it. Would also love to tow my other car along with the Mustang, but I know that's a bit much to ask for

What do yall think?

Nickp

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER 4 DOOR MT
Just realize the more off-road capable a vehicle is, the less it can tow. Best example is the ford raptor, even with the highest output engine in the F-150 lineup the soft suspension really reduces what it can tow.

OP
Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just realize the more off-road capable a vehicle is, the less it can tow. Best example is the ford raptor, even with the highest output engine in the F-150 lineup the soft suspension really reduces what it can tow.
Do you think the standard Bronco will be that off-road capable though? I can't imagine the standard Bronco to be too far off from the Ranger FX4 in terms of off road capability, right?

BONESTOCK

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'94 Lightning w/TKO swap, '04 Procharged Mach 1, '13 F150 RCSB 5.0L, '61 Falcon
heh....I'm in the same boat. I currently use a '13 5.0L F150 RCSB to tow my open trailer with my Mustang. I'd like to use the Bronco as a replacement for the truck.

Stampede.Offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Maybe 5,500lb maximum towing for the Bronco, 4-door.

The Ranger has a towing capacity of 7500lb which is very close to the international Ranger's numbers. In markets that have both the Ranger and Everest, the Everest comes in at about 6,500lb maximum towing. If we assume some of the suspension and other off-road modifications to the shared chassis were going to reduce towing some more, call it another 1k, you're left with about 5,500lb maximum for the 4-door. That would be comparable but slightly better than the competition, such as the 4Runner, which seems like a reasonable Ford target.

Playboyshiredhand

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Ford Bronco, 2009 F150 FX4, 2015 Mustang
I wouldn't hold my breath and expect to be towing anything with a weight over 2500 lbs with a turbo 4 cylinder and if the wheel base closely resembles the Early Bronco it would not be recommended. Maybe a couple of jet skis or a small boat but definitely not a open or enclosed trailer hauling a Mustang. Just my opinion.

Stampede.Offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
The wheelbase and high center of gravity seem much more of a concern than the engine capability. Especially at highway speed.

OP
Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I wouldn't hold my breath and expect to be towing anything with a weight over 2500 lbs with a turbo 4 cylinder and if the wheel base closely resembles the Early Bronco it would not be recommended. Maybe a couple of jet skis or a small boat but definitely not a open or enclosed trailer hauling a Mustang. Just my opinion.
The wheelbase and high center of gravity seem much more of a concern than the engine capability. Especially at highway speed.
Agreed, which is why I'm hoping the 4 door will have a wheelbase closer to the Ranger. I'd rather it resemble the later broncos (I mean, personally, I'd rather pretty much everything on it resemble the later broncos. They were my favorite). It'd be nice for me if the 2 door had a wheelbase more similar to the ranger, but that definitely isn't going to happen

78CreamBrownie

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Does anyone have any idea or educated guesses what the towing capacity for the Bronco will be like? The Wrangler's towing capacity is pretty abysmal at 3000lbs, and if it's that low, I won't bother waiting and I'll just go get a Ranger. But considering it's based on the ranger's platform which is rated for 7500lbs, and it's been spotted benchmarking with the Toyota 4Runner, which is rated at 5000lbs (relatively close to the Tacoma at 6800lbs), so I (optimistically) don't think a 6000lb or so towing capacity is too terribly unrealistic. I just really want to be able to tow my Mustang with a full truck and not have to worry about it. Would also love to tow my other car along with the Mustang, but I know that's a bit much to ask for

What do yall think?
I think it's going to be closer to 4000 lbs. Offroading and towing are polar opposites. You have to strike a middle ground and Jeep has set the expectation for this market segment that 3500lbs for is ok. Ford will beat the Wranglers' 3500 lbs but don't expect them to beat it by much. It's always going to be price vs performance and if the market says 3500lbs is fine for towing in this segment then no need to over engineer towing just to make it tow 6000lbs when you could have gotten away with 4000lbs.

Idiot bloggers will complain, but in the end the amount of people who won't buy it because of towing capacity is very very very small.

EvlNvrDys

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
I am hoping for maybe a V6 option as well as better towing. Currently use wife's 2017 Wrangler Unlimited to tow 12ft. trailer with 2 quads on it... and you can easily tell it doesn't have the towing capacity that I would like. I'm a Bronco guy and will be getting a new one when they come out, so can only hope it has decent towing! Get me to that 5000-7000 range and I'd be happy!

BroncoBuyer

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Does a mid sized SUV that weighs about 3500 pounds, has a super short wheel base and tows close to twice it's weight currently even exist?
Talk about tail wagging the dog.

BroncoBuyer

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Oh crap! Wrangler weighs way more than I thought and the new JL got even heavier by 200 pounds..

The 2017 Wrangler Sport weighs in at about 3,760 pounds (1,403 kg) whereas the new 2018 Wrangler Sport in its base configuration weighs about 3,955 pounds (1,794 kg

I'm hoping the bronco doesn't end up being too heavy to flat tow behind my motorhome...

OP
Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does a mid sized SUV that weighs about 3500 pounds, has a super short wheel base and tows close to twice it's weight currently even exist?
Not sure what makes you think the Bronco will weigh any less than 4000lbs considering the lightest variant of the Ranger weighs that much

Regardless, ever heard of Toyota 4 runner? Weighs around 4000lbs, shorter wheelbase than a 4 door wrangler, and still has a 5000lb tow rating

OP
Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That would be ignorance.. it's a funny thing that ignorance... Makes ya say some funny sh*t sometimes.
Lol it happens! If only we could go back to the days of expecting trucks to only weigh 3500lbs... hell, modern performance cars have trouble meeting that weight!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BroncoRick Towing, Trailers 16
General Bronco Topics 8