Base
First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Bronco
Base
I would be surprised if it towed less than 6000lbs.

Everything in this segment is headed towards 7K-7500lbs tow.
Even the Gladiator has a decent tow rating and its essentially based on the ranger.

Ironically enough, the automatic optioned trucks tow a LOT more than the manual (4500 vs 7500), so it's probably more to do with brakes and suspension than engine power.
Advertisement

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Bronco
Big Bend
Clubs

If the 2 door can tow 5000, get ready for some 20 inch rims to hold those upgraded brake systems! ?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Bronco
Black Diamond
Man, you wanna talk about tail wagging the dog, go live in Germany for a bit... people out there pull full size trailers with their little BMW 3 series compact XD
In Germany, a car (aka anything that's not a commercial truck) towing a trailer is limited to 80kph (50mph). If that trailer is braked, is specifically certified to travel at 100kph, and is less than 20% heavier than the tow vehicle you can take it all the way up to 100kph (62mph).

If you want to tow a trailer heavier than 1600lbs, you need a special license class that involves an entire extra day of schooling - 2.5 hours of theory on regulations, loading, towing, then 3.5 hours of practicing lane changes, parking, maneuvering, then an hour of driving in traffic.

On top of all of that, traditional tongue weights are less than 10% in Europe. A lower tongue weight puts less load on the vehicle's suspension, but greatly decreases stability at speed. In America, recommended tongue weights are 10-15% for greater stability at high speeds.

So when an automaker gives a tow rating to be used in Germany, it assumes:
1. The vehicle will never be going more than 62mph
2. The driver is specifically well-trained in how to tow
3. The percent of the trailer weight that's actually hitting the rear suspension is low

When an automaker gives a tow rating in America it assumes:
1. The vehicle will be going at least 70mph, and potentially up to the 80-85mph speed limits here
2. The driver will have basically no training in driving at all, let alone towing, how to load a trailer, and how to safely handle a trailer at speed
3. The trailer will be putting at least 15% of its load on the vehicle's suspension, greatly increasing the stress on the rear suspension

So let's say the rear structure of a vehicle can handle 400lbs of tongue weight. In Germany, where they can run lower tongue weights because they don't need to worry about stability above 62mph, that would translate to a 5000lb tow capacity assuming 8% tongue weight.

In the US, where automakers need to ensure stability up to 85mph, they have to assume a higher percentage of tongue weight, so that 400lbs of structural capacity only gets you 2600lbs of total trailer weight once you assume 15% tongue weight.

That's why tiny cars in Europe can pull what in America you'd need a half ton to pull around legally.

I would be surprised if it towed less than 6000lbs.

Everything in this segment is headed towards 7K-7500lbs tow.
As far as I see it, the Bronco and Wrangler are their own segment. Convertible, short wheelbase, high CG offroaders. Everything else out there is much bigger with a longer wheelbase.

The RR Sport has a similar wheelbase to the JLU, but it's a minimum 4800lbs up to 5500lbs curb weight vs. the Wrangler's 4200lbs. That weight (along with the modern suspension) gives much greater stability.

I hope the Bronco isn't much more than 4200.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the 4 door Bronco can do any more than 5000lbs. I'll be surprised if the 2 door does more than 3500.

Even the Gladiator has a decent tow rating and its essentially based on the ranger.
Longer wheelbase = more towing.

Ironically enough, the automatic optioned trucks tow a LOT more than the manual (4500 vs 7500), so it's probably more to do with brakes and suspension than engine power.
Clutches and manual transmissions don't handle the shock loads of towing very well. An automatic transmission's torque converter is like a nice pillow acting as the squishy cushion to absorb the abrupt start and stop forces when towing. The manual version of the F-150 had a seriously de-rated towing capacity vs. the auto as far back as the '90s. Even in the final versions of the Ram 3500 diesel that came with a manual, its engine was detuned to make less power and the tow rating was lower than the auto.

OP
OP
Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Bronco
Undecided
As far as I see it, the Bronco and Wrangler are their own segment. Convertible, short wheelbase, high CG offroaders. Everything else out there is much bigger with a longer wheelbase.

The RR Sport has a similar wheelbase to the JLU, but it's a minimum 4800lbs up to 5500lbs curb weight vs. the Wrangler's 4200lbs. That weight (along with the modern suspension) gives much greater stability.

I hope the Bronco isn't much more than 4200.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the 4 door Bronco can do any more than 5000lbs. I'll be surprised if the 2 door does more than 3500

But the LR Defender 110 has the same wheelbase as a JLU, yet it can tow 7700lbs... and that’s a vehicle in the same segment. You don’t think Jeep’s abysmal tow rating has anything to do with their lack of technology and progression? I mean, the Jeep is on a chassis of its own; it doesn’t really need to be beefed up for towing, and I think Jeep knows that. But the Bronco is being built on a shared platform with the Ranger, meaning the frame NEEDS to be capable of towing. Hell, look at the 4 runner... short wheelbase like the wrangler, but built on a pickup truck chassis and can pull 5000lbs. I personally don’t see the 4 door Bronco towing any less than 5000, and I hope it’s significantly more

Laminar

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Bronco
Black Diamond
But the LR Defender 110 has the same wheelbase as a JLU, yet it can tow 7700lbs... and that’s a vehicle in the same segment.
But it's got a modern suspension and weighs 4900+ lbs. Weight helps.

You don’t think Jeep’s abysmal tow rating has anything to do with their lack of technology and progression?
It absolutely does - the inherent instability of the SFA on a short wheelbase vehicle doesn't lend itself to great towing ability.

The Ranger is rated at 7500lbs with the tow pack. Assume the Bronco will have a similar IFS and SRA and a shorter wheelbase and I'd bet on it being a bit less than the Ranger. If Ford's aiming at the Wrangler, all it has to achieve is 5000-6000lbs to absolutely crush it.

OP
OP
Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Bronco
Undecided
Yep... I’m thinking a lot of people in this thread are going to be out since the reveal, myself included ?

Ive really been trying to justify it to myself, too... but with no towing capacity, it just doesn’t work as a hauler, and with no V6 paired to the manual, it just doesn’t work as a fun car. Really wish I could justify it because I love the community on these forums and I think the truck is awesome, but it just doesn’t fill my primary citeria

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Bronco
Badlands
I totally agree @Jake_zx2 ....... just sitting here going through all of the shortcomings and smh.....

Well..... I guess it's time to start researching something else ........

Dmk08

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Bronco
Undecided
Clubs

Yep... I’m thinking a lot of people in this thread are going to be out since the reveal, myself included ?

Ive really been trying to justify it to myself, too... but with no towing capacity, it just doesn’t work as a hauler, and with no V6 paired to the manual, it just doesn’t work as a fun car. Really wish I could justify it because I love the community on these forums and I think the truck is awesome, but it just doesn’t fill my primary citeria
I called the MT not being on the v6 so not surprised there.

I am pretty surprised its not at least 5000lb towing. Whats the point of getting the 2.7 if I cant tow my boat a few miles and put it in the water.

People keep saying its the suspension but a 4Runner TRD with a weak v6 can tow 5k.

Anyway... I woke up thinking ill just go with a 4cyl so I can get the manual.

OPBronco Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Build 66 Bronco - 15 Mustang GT
Bronco
Base
A 2.3 Ranger with 26" longer wheelbase more than doubles towing capacity at 7500 v. 3500. Thinking the Bronco will tow just fine but Ford doesn't want to be in court when people crash them. Short WB makes towing interesting, I'll still tow my Mustang with it.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Bronco
Badlands
A 2.3 Ranger with 26" longer wheelbase more than doubles towing capacity at 7500 v. 3500. Thinking the Bronco will tow just fine but Ford doesn't want to be in court when people crash them. Short WB makes towing interesting, I'll still tow my Mustang with it.
I was thinking this as well...... Those pesky lawyers..... smh....

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Bronco
Black Diamond
I called the MT not being on the v6 so not surprised there.

I am pretty surprised its not at least 5000lb towing. Whats the point of getting the 2.7 if I cant tow my boat a few miles and put it in the water.

People keep saying its the suspension but a 4Runner TRD with a weak v6 can tow 5k.

Anyway... I woke up thinking ill just go with a 4cyl so I can get the manual.
I wouldn't have any issue pulling a 5K boat a couple of miles and dropping it in the water with a 2.7 auto. You could probably tow 7.5K pounds no problem. It all depends on how you drive and your level of risk.

OPBronco Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Base
I was thinking this as well...... Those pesky lawyers..... smh....
I'm also in your boat, want the manual, my '66 is an I6/manual so power wise the 2.3/7speed is the '66 I6/3speed to the 2.7/Auto being the '73 V8/Auto. Still think a 7 speed swapped 2.7 won't be that complicated....

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Bronco
Black Diamond
Exactly. It will tow just fine...Ford is conservative because they know that more than half the people in the US have below average intelligence. Have you seen any videos of stupid people with cars? Just saying.

OPBronco Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Base
Exactly. It will tow just fine...Ford is conservative because they know that more than half the people in the US have below average intelligence. Have you seen any videos of stupid people with cars? Just saying.
I live in FLA, so everyday ?

Advertisement

4x4TruckLEDs.com
Advertisement