Nickp

Base
Staff member
First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread; the fact that Bronco has no rear sway bar. I don’t know a whole lot about towing, but just from a basic knowledge perspective that could be something that would make towing heavy loads unstable right?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread; the fact that Bronco has no rear sway bar. I don’t know a whole lot about towing, but just from a basic knowledge perspective that could be something that would make towing heavy loads unstable right?
Yes.

It would be nice if FoMoCo would add one within a Tow Package that also has the Disconnect Feature so that the Sway Bar would connect when Tow Mode is selected.

Eggsalad

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Yes, moreso with a high-profile travel trailer. For example let's look at my 19' Micro Minnie 1706fb. High-profile, lifted, susceptible to crosswinds. Let's say a strong, gusty crosswind hits me while I'm doing 65mph, the trailer pivots at the ball hitch.

Trailer twitches right and left, pivots on the ball. The trailer doesn't put more stress on one side of the suspension than the other, BUT, the corrections I make with the steering wheel DO put more stress on each side of the rear suspension. Each time I correct the steering to compensate for a trailer twitch the rear suspension gets strained on one side or the other.

One can say that's a Death Wobble when towing. However there are ways to compensate. Manually engage the trailer brakes. That pulls the trailer straight behind the tow vehicle, and slow down in crosswinds.

I tow with a V8 4Runner. You need some towing skills with a short wheelbase SUV no matter the brand. I could tow with the 4-dr Bronco but I would upgrade the rear coils and add airbags if possible to compensate for no rear swaybar.

I removed the rear swaybar on the 4Runner (better rear articulation when unhooked), compensated by adding airbags and HD coils. Bronco rear can be upgraded IMO when the aftermarket catches up.

A big deal I think is people want a ClassIII hitch on the beast. ClassIII or ClassIV hitch allows WDH capability. WDH with sway control cures a lot of travel trailer towing ills, especially with short wheelbase.

In fact, if you look at the fine print on various vehicles you'll see max tow capacity is achieved only if you have a WDH.

Last edited:

FireSquatch

Black Diamond
First Name
Lee
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
Yes.

It would be nice if FoMoCo would add one within a Tow Package that also has the Disconnect Feature so that the Sway Bar would connect when Tow Mode is selected.
You can get manual sway bar disconnects, all you have to do is reach under and pull the pin

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
You can get manual sway bar disconnects, all you have to do is reach under and pull the pin
Just to be clear, this is for a possible Rear Sway Bar.

Currently and as far as we know.... the Bronco doesn't have a rear sway bar. The only reason why one "might" be added would be to increase the Towing Rating.

To help to insure that any such sway bar is connected when towing and not forgotten (automatically vs. manual connection) would be to have it engage automatically when Towing is selected.

FoMoCo already has a hydraulic activated system. Why not just use it. Higher volumes for such components will overall lower the price for those components (Manufacturing 101).

Eggsalad

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Just to be clear, this is for a possible Rear Sway Bar.

Currently and as far as we know.... the Bronco doesn't have a rear sway bar. The only reason why one "might" be added would be to increase the Towing Rating.

To help to insure that any such sway bar is connected when towing and not forgotten (automatically vs. manual connection) would be to have it engage automatically when Towing is selected.

FoMoCo already has a hydraulic activated system. Why not just use it. Higher volumes for such components will overall lower the price for those components (Manufacturing 101).
Maybe someone like Hellwig will develop a rear swaybar if Ford won't. I have no doubt HD rear coils will be on the market fast. Seems to me there should be plenty of interest for upgrades that allow towing a 3500lb dry travel trailer. Especially since the Bronco has at minimum the 2.3l turbo and the badass 2.7l optional. Curt will certainly have a ClassIII or ClassIV hitch available fast.

If Ford doesn't want to meet J2807 standards, the aftermarket will provide the hardware for owners to make it so. Bronco is a solid platform for towing 5000lbs+, that's obvious. If Ford won't offer a real tow package I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade it aftermarket and still retain maybe 90% of the offroad capability.

XLR8

Wildtrak
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor, 1995 Bronco
I'll probably get roasted for this but the new Defender can tow 8200 lbs. Seems like a massive difference between vehicles and either their overstating or the Bronco missed the mark. I know they are not direct competitors but a high end Bronco is the same money as a decently equipped Def.

Unbraked trailer (lbs)1,653§
Maximum towing (lbs)8,201§
Maximum coupling point (nose weight) (lbs)771‡‡
Maximum vehicle and trailer combination (GTW) (lbs)14,810§

OPBronco Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Build 66 Bronco - 15 Mustang GT
I'll probably get roasted for this but the new Defender can tow 8200 lbs. Seems like a massive difference between vehicles and either their overstating or the Bronco missed the mark. I know they are not direct competitors but a high end Bronco is the same money as a decently equipped Def.

Unbraked trailer (lbs)1,653§
Maximum towing (lbs)8,201§
Maximum coupling point (nose weight) (lbs)771‡‡
Maximum vehicle and trailer combination (GTW) (lbs)14,810§
Shorter wheelbase on the Bronco and lawyers. Plus the Firestone-Explorer debacle makes Ford a little sensitive to upping the ratings.

Cookieck

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Shorter wheelbase on the Bronco and lawyers. Plus the Firestone-Explorer debacle makes Ford a little sensitive to upping the ratings.
New Defender 90 has 102 wheelbase like the 2 dr bronco and still over 8k tow rating. So not shorter wheelbase on bronco, that’s much shorter than the 4 door(and the 110 is only 3in longer than 4dr). Also half a dozen or more suvs with similar wheelbase to bronco 4dr can tow around 8k. And especially with the 2dr having the same tow cap as the 14in longer 4dr its not wheelbase that’s limiting it or that 14in would make a difference.

OPBronco Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Build 66 Bronco - 15 Mustang GT
New Defender 90 has 102 wheelbase like the 2 dr bronco and still over 8k tow rating. So not shorter wheelbase on bronco, that’s much shorter than the 4 door(and the 110 is only 3in longer than 4dr). Also half a dozen or more suvs with similar wheelbase to bronco 4dr can tow around 8k. And especially with the 2dr having the same tow cap as the 14in longer 4dr its not wheelbase that’s limiting it or that 14in would make a difference.
Not saying that the Bronco couldn't tow that much, Ford just doesn't want us to. Hopefully by the time its released they take another look at it.

Hans

Outer Banks
First Name
Hans
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Does anyone have any idea or educated guesses what the towing capacity for the Bronco will be like? The Wrangler's towing capacity is pretty abysmal at 3000lbs, and if it's that low, I won't bother waiting and I'll just go get a Ranger. But considering it's based on the ranger's platform which is rated for 7500lbs, and it's been spotted benchmarking with the Toyota 4Runner, which is rated at 5000lbs (relatively close to the Tacoma at 6800lbs), so I (optimistically) don't think a 6000lb or so towing capacity is too terribly unrealistic. I just really want to be able to tow my Mustang with a full truck and not have to worry about it. Would also love to tow my other car along with the Mustang, but I know that's a bit much to ask for

What do yall think?
Figure a 4 runner can do 5k lbs .I dönt get it .

Mattwings

Big Bend
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I wish Ford would explain the tow rating. Is it an issue they have found when testing? Are they just using the lower rating because they don’t have capacity (or it’s not worth the effort based on the expectation of the market) to do more testing prior to launch? I know people say it’s a “new” platform, but it’s not much different than the outgoing Ranger. Coil springs and no sway bar=lower tow rating, I get it, but half of the Ranger seems like an issue. I will be looking for an aftermarket bumper and hitch (class III) as my first mod. Hopefully Ford will offer a factory kit with springs and or sway bar that has a specific change to capacity, to avoid guessing on what a compilation of aftermarket parts yields in terms of increasing capacity. I am relatively experienced and I won’t tow anything extreme, but I would like to pull my boat to the barn 50 miles away or load up my Bronco and utility trailer with a SXS and gear for the weekend.

DHH

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
The more I look at the Bronco and the more reasons I hear why it probably can't tow squat, the more I believe that Ford could easily have the 4dr Bronco tow 6000lb+ and the 2dr 5000+.
For every reason given why a Bronco can't tow, there is a vehicle out there that tows 5k+ despite that same said "reason". I don't believe it's wheelbase, width, height, removable top, suspension type, motor, tranny, axles, shocks, frame strength, etc, etc.

The only thing I am now unsure of is cooling. After reading what they went through with the Gladiator to get the proper cooling and maintain the Jeep (grill) look, I was surprised at how difficult it was to get enough cooling. Maybe that's what is holding back the Bronco? That being said, I do believe that could be overcome with a special "tow package".
If it is cooling, this is what I see that may be holding it back:
1) Radiator size. The fix: Install a larger rad. The engine bay is wider than a Gladiator, so a larger rad shouldn't be a problem. If they have to go lower and it affects approach angle, I would happily sacrifice a few degrees to tow more.
2) Grill openings too small for proper airflow. The fix: Install a different grill.
3) Larger grill openings still don't allow enough airflow. The fix: Install a lower air deflector. If it is installed with the same quick disconnect system as the fender flares, it could be quickly removed when not towing, so it doesn't get ripped off when wheeling.

Aside from that, maybe the MT tires compound the issue. If that's the case, I'd take different tires; even if it meant the Sasquatch option wasn't available with the tow package (as long as I got a minimum rear locker option....but front/rear locker option would be preferred)

Ford, if you're listening; please increase your customer base and offer a decent tow package. 🙏

Advertisement

Advertisement