Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We filled our garbage bags and hit the trails… expecting a chill, laid back day… things went a little sideways

I am considering organizing a trail cleanup for the first time. Any tips/advice on how to go about setting one of these up? Video was great by the way.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So mad I missed this one. Just had way to much going on at home as we hosted Easter for my family and the wifes.

OP
OP
EvanPeterson

EvanPeterson

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am considering organizing a trail cleanup for the first time. Any tips/advice on how to go about setting one of these up? Video was great by the way.
Thanks!

As far as organizing… I’m not the best source. We were just attendees, the park partnered with Tread Lightly! for organizing.

What they did, was make a game out of it… they handed out trash bags, and had a dumpster on site… and they gave event shirts to anyone who brought a decently full bag to the dumpster. They also gave out prizes for the group who brought the most trash… so some guys showed with trailers behind their rigs and hauled out scrap metal (like a full sized fridge) that had been dumped years ago.

I think if you’re a Tread Lightly member, they will gladly help organize, or at least pass along resources to setting up an event. Where are you located?

OP
OP
EvanPeterson

EvanPeterson

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So mad I missed this one. Just had way to much going on at home as we hosted Easter for my family and the wifes.
The proximity to Easter Sunday did make it difficult to plan. I can’t usually make too many Saturday events because of work.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Keeping the trails clean & open is always a good thing. Thanks for pitching in 🤠

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The proximity to Easter Sunday did make it difficult to plan. I can’t usually make too many Saturday events because of work.
We had it on the calendar all month and then realized like the week of that Easter was the next day lol. Events are going to be harder for me to make now, kids are starting summer sports that are going to fill up most saturdays and sundays. Might have to play hooky from work one day and try and sneak out during the week haha

OP
OP
EvanPeterson

EvanPeterson

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
We had it on the calendar all month and then realized like the week of that Easter was the next day lol. Events are going to be harder for me to make now, kids are starting summer sports that are going to fill up most saturdays and sundays. Might have to play hooky from work one day and try and sneak out during the week haha
We like to sneak off for the occasional Monday run when the park is empty… it’s not too bad lol

Sponsored

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why were you winching downhill?

OP
OP
EvanPeterson

EvanPeterson

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why were you winching downhill?
The 4-Door was winched backwards because it was high centered on the crest. If you watch after the winching, you can see the same location from the other side.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was DEFINITELY an adventure!

and it was really cool to see how much trash and junk people collected for removal as a whole team!
I'm all for the effort and great job by all . . . but how does some of that stuff wind up on private land to which access is controlled? I mean I get casual littering (not that I condone it, just that I can see it happening) by park attendees that scatters/accumulates over time but how does something like a *fridge* get dumped there? That one was a real head scratcher.

OP
OP
EvanPeterson

EvanPeterson

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm all for the effort and great job by all . . . but how does some of that stuff wind up on private land to which access is controlled? I mean I get casual littering (not that I condone it, just that I can see it happening) by park attendees that scatters/accumulates over time but how does something like a *fridge* get dumped there? That one was a real head scratcher.
I think it was more of a free-for-all there in the time between the it stopped being used for industrial purposes, and when the park started to be come what it is now…

There’s parts of the property that are bordered by country roads and other still-in-use industrial properties… so I can imagine some jerk pulling up to the edge of the property and tossing the junk and scurrying away

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It happens all the time. I've seen what looked like a whole house full of trash, debris and furniture/appliances dumped on creeks next to a bridge out in the country in Texas. My guess is that someone got evicted and the owner didn't want to pay to dispose of it, so a midnight run was made to dump it where I saw it.
Sponsored