Sponsored

Trail control - anyone actually use it on the trail?

Tataman

Black Diamond
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Echo previous comment on use during decent. I found it very useful for a steep decline and didn’t want to worry about locking up tires. I will say that that the gas peddle seems supper sensitive so it’s good to get a feel before using.

Also, my buddy in a Rubicon was wondering why his rig didn’t have that feature. I have no idea what other tech vehicles have, but that feature made the Jeep fan boy envious. 😁
Sponsored

EEdward

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
We used it quite a bit in Moab during Off-Roadeo. It’s not necessary, but it’s a great way to just let the Bronco advance at a steady pace while you focus on your line.
I think I should have a try next time when I need a slow speed. Actually I haven't used it before.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I only recently looked up what the Trail Control button does. As I understand it, it's basically cruise control for very low speeds.

So last week I did the 100 mile White Rim Trail in Canyonlands Nation Park near Moab and was looking for somewhere to use the Trail Control feature. It didn't make sense to use it anywhere out there.

I would like to hear from any of you that have found a use for it off of the pavement, because right now it looks like a feature that I'll never use.

Random photo from that trip, just because:
pXIv7gH.jpg
I had opportunity to test drive a 2-door manual Bronco off-road last week. Didn't find a need for the trail control. The Bronco in 4-low with crawler gear, crawled up and down without having to brake or modulate the pedal much. The vehicle was very nice off-road.

I'm someone who enjoys controlling a vehicle manually though. Hardly use cruise control on pavement, and likely would never off-road either. When I drive, I drive, lol.

Ford Bronco Trail control - anyone actually use it on the trail? Idrive

beerme1986

Badlands
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford super duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I only recently looked up what the Trail Control button does. As I understand it, it's basically cruise control for very low speeds.

So last week I did the 100 mile White Rim Trail in Canyonlands Nation Park near Moab and was looking for somewhere to use the Trail Control feature. It didn't make sense to use it anywhere out there.

I would like to hear from any of you that have found a use for it off of the pavement, because right now it looks like a feature that I'll never use.

pXIv7gH.jpg

beerme1986

Badlands
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford super duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you drive it in one day and how many hours did it take you

Sponsored
OP
OP
Scott R Nelson

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did you drive it in one day and how many hours did it take you
Ten hours total, and we stopped a bunch of times, but usually only long enough to take a few photos or to use the "restrooms". Entered at Shafer Trail near the visitor center at 8:10 am, after grabbing a permit for the next day there. We were back out to pavement at the other end just before 6:00 pm.

They encourage you to take two or three days, but it was an easy ten hours with a capable 4x4. The Sasquatch easily handled everything down in there. But I used low range and the lockers half a dozen times to get up and down some steep loose stuff on the western half. Sand was no problem with the tires at 20 psi. I left it in 4A most of the trip when traction wasn't going to be a concern.

jbryant

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Trail control - anyone actually use it on the trail? Idrive
I haven't used it on the trail, but it's pretty good in snail crawling stop-and-go traffic in the city. lol

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It is for the lazy folks coming from manual trans rigs that don’t understand two foot driving...

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find it useful on easy trails / dirt roads. Set it at 15-20mph and focus on the scenery rather than the pedal. I've not used it an anything difficult - like to control (or suggest) that myself.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously it wasn't included with my drivetrain so I haven't used it. Never really thought much of it. I do have descent control and haven't used that either. I guess I like to do it myself.

Scott, @50 and Fabulous is putting together a group to explore the Owyhees on 5/29 if you're interested. I'm sure it will be pretty tame after Moab but it would be fun to get a bunch of Broncos together.

OP
OP
Scott R Nelson

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Scott, @50 and Fabulous is putting together a group to explore the Owyhees on 5/29 if you're interested. I'm sure it will be pretty tame after Moab but it would be fun to get a bunch of Broncos together.
Thanks, I've posted on that thread.

OP
OP
Scott R Nelson

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Coming down Hayden Peak today, the highest mountain peak in the Owyhee Mountains. I actually found Trail control useful. In 4L I hit the button and set it for "8" mph down a rocky ten degree road and it kept just the right speed all the way down. It was a pretty steady incline, and trail control did better than I could have with my right foot. You just have to have the right conditions for it to be useful, I guess.

This is at the base of the steady incline before I headed up there.
2Cg6MhV.jpg

Tork

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use it to drive down my street after a car wash to avoid kicking up all of the salt slush in the wheel wells before I reach my garage. It’s a Minnesota thing.☹
Sponsored