Sponsored

Trail control - anyone actually use it on the trail?

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I only recently looked up what the Trail Control button does. As I understand it, it's basically cruise control for very low speeds.

So last week I did the 100 mile White Rim Trail in Canyonlands Nation Park near Moab and was looking for somewhere to use the Trail Control feature. It didn't make sense to use it anywhere out there.

I would like to hear from any of you that have found a use for it off of the pavement, because right now it looks like a feature that I'll never use.

Random photo from that trip, just because:
pXIv7gH.jpg
Sponsored

BoMiltenberger

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 BL Lux Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have. Here in east TN lots of switch backs and tight turns. Some turns that would normally take 3/4 turns takes 1/2 with Trail control. Rode with a friend who has a rad jeep and he enjoyed to see it at work and appreciated it.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We used it quite a bit in Moab during Off-Roadeo. It’s not necessary, but it’s a great way to just let the Bronco advance at a steady pace while you focus on your line.

Luterdan

Raptor
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Arcadia, VW Tiguan, Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have. Here in east TN lots of switch backs and tight turns. Some turns that would normally take 3/4 turns takes 1/2 with Trail control. Rode with a friend who has a rad jeep and he enjoyed to see it at work and appreciated it.
You are mixing up turn assist or whatever that feature is (last button on the top of dash) that locks up rear tire to help turn a vehicle with the low speed cruise control (button on the goat dial)

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Some people seem to really like it. I haven't used it, I never want to go them same speed for more than a few dozen feet on the trail so I don't see the utility. Same for the trail turn. Videos of TTA I've seen show the resultant trail damage, maybe OK in snow or sand.

Most trails I'm on are varying degrees of rocky/smooth.

Sponsored

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We used it quite a bit in Moab during Off-Roadeo. It’s not necessary, but it’s a great way to just let the Bronco advance at a steady pace while you focus on your line.
Same thing here - was interesting to use at the Off-Rodeo. Actually found it helpful when you need a very slow, controlled throttle in bumpy, rough terrain where it might otherwise be difficult to maintain a smooth input.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve used it offroad. It’s not necessary, but is a nice feature, and it works well. 👍

CjDuncan

Badlands
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have used when descending down some steeper hills. It will brake for you and maintain speed so I can focus on the line. IMO, It is one of those features that you don't use a lot but glad to have it when want it.

OP
OP
Scott R Nelson

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

...Same for the trail turn. Videos of TTA I've seen show the resultant trail damage, maybe OK in snow or sand.
Good point on Trail Turn Assist.

I've used it twice so far, but I agree about the trail damage. Most of the time a 2-door Sasquatch turns plenty sharp enough for the trail. One of the times it saved me a 3-point turn for a U-turn, and I can't remember exactly what the benefit was the other time.

But I sure love being able to lock front and rear axles at the touch of a button to keep from spinning a wheel in loose stuff.

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Same thing here - was interesting to use at the Off-Rodeo. Actually found it helpful when you need a very slow, controlled throttle in bumpy, rough terrain where it might otherwise be difficult to maintain a smooth input.
Exactly my thoughts and what I’ve used it for. When the trail is flat and I want to go 5mph+ I would use this feature but for slow crawling I’m glad I have it.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Over a rock field in a dry creek or something like that it makes sense, but most trails and obstacles it wouldn't be worth the effort.

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been off road about a dozen times so far. Where I've been, the terrain kept changing every couple of minutes, so I kept adjusting the speed with the buttons quite a bit. For navigating Target parking lots however, this function is a necessity! 😁

Broncos 4 evah

Black Diamond
First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Having driven the White Rim trail on a dirt bike. It is more made for Baja mode than 5mph cruise control.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's for wilife viewing and paying more attention to your surroundings than the road. This was always easy going down hill, just use low range and the appropriate drive gear.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do like trail control, it helps me get out of my comfort zone following a convoy a bit. 1-Pedal drive however, is a bit jerky.
Sponsored