First Name
Mikhail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey guys. Have a question from a customer that i would like your input on. I put the backlight on my Bronco and wired it up to the hitch wiring and now the car shows that I have a trailer hooked up and has turned off my backup sensors off.

Wiring
Hooked up reverse light to #7 wire.
Ground wire to #1 wire.
Brake light to both #5 and #6 wires.

Ford Bronco Trailer hitch wiring 7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-1(1)
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why it senses there's a trailer when there isn't.
Oh.

It’s cause TRM module detected a load on that circuit once the lights were plugged in. Which is exactly what the TRM is supposed to do, it’s working as intended.

To my knowledge there is no way to change that behavior without reprogramming the TRM. The 4-pin connector may not have that load detection on it though… maybe… not sure. So that may be a viable workaround.

JMB

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Fords
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why it senses there's a trailer when there isn't.
-Guess-

"Brake controllers send a small amount of voltage along the brake output wire, if a trailer is connected, the magnets in the brake assemblies [OR your "Backlight"] will create a power draw. This power draw tells the controller that a trailer is connected."

If you have a power draw off of 5/6 ...the controller may think you have a trailer connected and kill your backup sensors (as they would not function correctly if a trailer was hooked up)

-End of Guess-

JBowles

Badlands
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah the trailer detection is done sensing an electrical connection on the trailer connectors, the module is seeing the load of your back up light and making the determination that the trailer is connected
Sponsored