Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've seen some back and forth on this in different threads, but wanted to see if I could get a consensus here as I'm definitely still in the planning phases of my eventual build.

A little about me & my Bronco: I'll be a year into ownership in May. So far been a little gun shy on anything over light offroading due to it still being so new, as well as some other life stuff that's going on eating into my free time. I do plan on getting more into off roading this year as time allows and would like to be able to run some lights for an extended amount of time without issue. Currently only have a BD kit installed in my mod bumper (1 switch for fogs, 1 for driving/spot) but looking to expand to at least some LP6 lights or a bar up front and maybe a set of cubes in the back. Not looking to go super crazy right away. Obviously as I get more into it I'll be looking to add other accessories, just haven't gotten that far yet.

I've read some discussion here and there about the stock wiring in the bronco maybe not being heavy enough to handle larger amp draw accessories or longer run times. I could see that for a roof light bar but I'm not an electrician so I'm not sure where to draw that line. I've seen some instances of people running things like the MLC-6 from RC but to me that seems like it's doubling up what's already there if Ford is providing relays & fuses on the existing aux switches.

So that leads to my questions. Am I overthinking this? Is the supplied aux wiring enough? If not is there a line somewhere that it becomes not enough? I see no harm in adding something like an MLC-6 but wondering if that's overkill for the sake overkill? Just looking for some guidance from the more experienced folks on this site. I've done some lighting kits in the past, but always used the OEM's supplied harnesses, relays, etc. Thanks!
Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A quick blurb I wrote for another post. - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/help-bronco-needs-lights.68497/post-1841703

In short, yes the Aux Wiring is undersized on 2-6 for most of the high power bars/pods/Linkable kits that get daisy chained together. Relays and properly sized wires for the run length are your friend here. Plan accordingly to avoid electrical fires (worst case scenario without fusing)

Ford Bronco Wiring questions with stock aux wiring 1678994352171

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I run this one (bumper) on a 10 amp circuit and it gives TONS of light.
Search for @MandRautomotive - options for Standard, Capable and Modular Bumper
Ford Bronco Wiring questions with stock aux wiring FrontLightBar
Sponsored