First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I finished my transceiver install on my 2023 Black Diamond Sasquatch today. HUGE shout out to Rugged Radio. The design and quality of their radio and NMO antenna mount is excellent. Drilling a 3/4" hole in a new vehicle is not for the faint of heart. I've done it but only when I couldn't find an acceptable alternative. I used a Bulletproof Diesel third brake light mount on my 2018 Raptor. A little pricey but it did the job, looked great and worked great.

On the Bronco, I used the radio and NMO antenna mount. Very straightforward installation and there are some great YouTube videos to make the install even easier. Anyway, it's done and I'm very pleased.

View attachment 624533

IMG_2749.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

MtnTopComms

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q5, 2019 Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes those mounts make it super convenient to install! I have a couple of them planned for my multi-radio install when mine arrives.

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Really like that Rugged mount. Just ordered one for mine.

BroncoDave24

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'61 Falcon, '87 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0, '01 F350 7.3L
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks like a neat install and a really well made mount. Not the best location for a good omni radiation pattern, but there are no holes drilled in the roof either! What type of transceiver did you put in? How did you mount it? And finally, how did you run the feedline to the NMO mount? I'm guessing you used a double shielded cable to help keep the RF from hashing out any of the computers? Thanks in Advance AC4JF

OP
OP
Lej512

Lej512

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks like a neat install and a really well made mount. Not the best location for a good omni radiation pattern, but there are no holes drilled in the roof either! What type of transceiver did you put in? How did you mount it? And finally, how did you run the feedline to the NMO mount? I'm guessing you used a double shielded cable to help keep the RF from hashing out any of the computers? Thanks in Advance AC4JF
You are correct. Center of the roof would have been best but it's a fiberglass roof and the roof is removable. I'm happy with this set up. Offsets the stubby AM/FM antenna on the other side.

The transceiver is a Kenwood TK-7180H with a remote head kit. I use it 99.9% of the time as a scanner. I got interested in HAM radio after I retired but quickly lost interest. There is a "HAM Bank", the mic is in the glove box and the VHF repeaters I use I can see from my house. So, should I ever have the need to call out, I still can.

There is a large factory grommet through the firewall right below the hood hinge and could not have been easier to route the power and antenna cable. Antenna is double shielded. So far, no issues.
Sponsored