Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They're practically pointless for normal driving and light off-roading. Towing is a completely different story, but the max towing on the Bronco is only 3500 lbs, which is well under what these transmissions are capable of towing. The limiting factory in the Bronco is the vehicle dynamics and not the powertrain.

(Also the Bronco has the 10R60 transmission and not the 10R80 transmission. That kit will likely work anyway, but just a heads up.)
thanks - yea I was basically wondering if it would help with reliability - or driving on long mountian roads, like crossing the Rocky Mountians, long steep grades

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Heat is an enemy to transmissions. I wouldn't hesitate to add a cooler to any auto trans.
yea thats why im thinking about it
i wonder if it would void a warranty

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The transmission currently has a cooler & there is an optimal temp range at which the fluid is designed to operate. Pay attention to how your vehicle shifts when it's cold vice when it's warmed up. Too much cooling and it can behave the same.

I would log the trans temps you are currently experiencing with the way you drive, tow, wheel & go from there. Use that data to determine the BTU load you want to change if any & shop for a cooler that will meet those needs.
$.02 🤠

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Beefcake.

Big Bend
First Name
Beefcake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, we use these all the time. We specialize in 6R80 and 10R80 rebuilds in all the fords. We build them in house as well.

What we use is the Power by the Hour 6R80 trans cooler and for the 10R80 you use the PBH 6R80/10R80 adapter fittings.
Whats the benifit of installing a cooler ? For daily driving? Does it only benifit when doing towing or long sustained hill climbs?

It looks like its basically replacing the Heat Exchanger? And lowering the temps more than a heat exchanger does? Or is there some baseline temp it maintains?

1622574557722.png

1622574610604.png

1622576809368.png

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The advantage of the heat exchanger type cooler is that it will bring you trans temps to operating temp faster. You really need to monitor your temps to decide of you need additional cooling.

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The advantage of the heat exchanger type cooler is that it will bring you trans temps to operating temp faster. You really need to monitor your temps to decide of you need additional cooling.
Thanks I can appreciate that but, the vehicle will never be opperated the same way and under the same conditions.
I wish there was a way to add the extra capacity, and have some sort of regulator so it can behave like the stock exchanger part of the time to take advantage of time-to-opperating temp etc

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Then get a cooler like a tru-cool that has a thermal bypass. Most auto transmissions are designed to run between 175-225 Deg. F. Anything hotter, significantly degrades the fluid & it will need to be changed sooner to prevent transmission damage.

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Then get a cooler like a tru-cool that has a thermal bypass. Most auto transmissions are designed to run between 175-225 Deg. F. Anything hotter, significantly degrades the fluid & it will need to be changed sooner to prevent transmission damage.
Love that idea - What about branching off a Tru-Cool from the Heat Exchanger?
SO the Heat Exchanger does its job, just like a stock install - then if the temp gets up to 180 and upward, the Thermal Bypass opens and the Tru Cool starts to aid in the cooling....
maybe that crazy

home_FAQ_image.jpg

Beefcake.

Big Bend
First Name
Beefcake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For daily driving you might not notice a difference if you arent experiencing high temps from the start... The temps dont generally get as high cruising around like they would if you are towing or drag racing... We use it on all our high hp drag cars and trucks and we notice a big difference there for sure.

I have not personally installed one on an ecoboost so i do have a message in to get some info on the install. i will update you once i hear back.

Power by the hour does offer a thermal bypass as well. i just dont have it on the site.

https://pbhperformance.com/product/6r80-thermal-bypass-valve/
Sponsored