Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger/2004 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wife and I are going on a road trip from IL to Asheville in the Bronco for a week. We will be solo, and it is the first time I finally get to take the Bronco out. I do not want to get too crazy since I am inexperienced and we will only be able to group with others based on who we would meet out on the trail. So we plan on keeping the rides mostly simple and more about scenery than challenging the capabilities of the vehicle (the bronco is more capable than I am).

Any must see areas? Right now I have Max Patch, Buzzards Roost, Hurricane Creek, and then some that look interesting on onX (this is what they are named on the app) Creekside Scenic drive, Bumpus Cove, No Buisness Knob, Pinicale Mt Rd. (I am trying to keep the onX trail rating at a max of 3, which I think should be fine for a stock 2 door badlands sas). We are also into hiking, so any hikes you think are good, we would also love to do.

It looks beautiful out that way and I've been dying to see the Smokys forever. For the first few nights we are on the northern side of the mountains (Newport) and then for the remainder of the week we are in downtown Asheville. Really excited to finally get back out in nature, haven't had a chance to escape since August in Glacier.
Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sierra Nevada Brewery

Curate restaurant

White Duck Taco Shop

Hit the downtown Woolworth art gallery and soda fountain

(you can see my priorities are not being outdoorsy :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )

Last time we were there was in a 2 seat sport convertible, we focused on the Tail of the Dragon, so I can't help you with Bronco related drives. Let me know if you take the GOAT.

Last edited:

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well you pretty much nailed a lot of the offroad action over that way.
Be prepared, a few select left turns on Hurricane are relatively sketchy when it has rained within the past few days. But a BL Squatch can handle them, just be careful and know when you need that rear locker or 4 lo, just go ahead and switch over for it and not get out of sorts towards the edge of the path.
IF you have plenty of time to kill, venture up towards Cades Cove, take Parson's branch back over to rte. 129 (The Tail of the Dragon) and take a left at the end, ride back towards Maggie Valley and back up to Asheville.

ebrs929

Big Bend
First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2009 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Be prepared, a few select left turns on Hurricane are relatively sketchy when it has rained within the past few days. But a BL Squatch can handle them, just be careful and know when you need that rear locker or 4 lo, just go ahead and switch over for it and not get out of sorts towards the edge of the path.
IF you have plenty of time to kill, venture up towards Cades Cove, take Parson's branch back over to rte. 129 (The Tail of the Dragon) and take a left at the end, ride back towards Maggie Valley and back up to Asheville.
Second for Cade's Cove!!!

OP
OP
Hot cheetos

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sierra Nevada Brewery

Curate restaurant

White Duck Taco Shop

Hit the downtown Woolworth art gallery and soda fountain

(you can see my priorities are not being outdoorsy :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )

Last time we were there was in a 2 seat sport convertible, we focused on the Tail of the Dragon, so I can't help you with Bronco related drives. Let me know if you take the GOAT.
Nothing wrong with the food and drinks. That is a big part of why we love taking trips. We just happened to know some people that live in the area (that are not offroad enthusiasts) so we had the food/drink recommendations covered already. Your recommendations were all on the list we had already, so my friend must not be as dumb as I thought 😂

Thank you
Second for Cade's Cove!!!
Definitely the plan to not really test myself too much and over use the tools I have just to be safe. Lockers will definitely come on in any areas that appear to be sketchy. I have heard as much about the potential for the trail to get tougher around rain. Wont be risking that if I am solo.

Cades Cove was something on my initial list that I must have forgotten to copy over, so thank you for that. It looked beautiful when I was initially researching.

Thank you both.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you follow this path around Maggie Valley, and you have any interest in motorcycles, consider a stop at Dale's Wheels Through Time. Closed right now but reopens first weekend in April.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/dales-wheels-through-time?mc_cid=d87b0d8c46&mc_eid=2e03bdb564

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Cades Cove is nice, but prepared to move slow.

I haven't seen Blue Ridge Parkway mentioned yet. That's a must, for me, if you're in that area. Head up to Craggy Gardens

Ford Bronco Trip to Asheville (recommendations?) 116877057_10222951891416500_8073947462836525039_n
Ford Bronco Trip to Asheville (recommendations?) 187133290_10225057359931897_4346811754383581302_n

If you're going to do Cades Cove you could take the Blue Ridge Parkway the other direction all the way to Cherokee, then into the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, and to Cades Cove. That would be a great way to head back to IL.

Heck, then you're just a bit away from the Dragon on 129 over the Foothills Parkway
Ford Bronco Trip to Asheville (recommendations?) mv at the ga

Last edited:

buzzcutt2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sierra Nevada Brewery
If you don't take the guided tour at Sierra Nevada, at least grab a beer and take the self-guided walk to see the canning operation. Also, I would avoid going on the weekend...it gets crazy busy at times.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hot cheetos

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not Bronco-related but the Biltmore estate is an interesting tour. Too bad you’re not going in mid April, Super Cel East is on the way between Knoxville and Asheville.
Yeah, with my work schedule I am very limited to when I can go. I'd love to come during the fall too, to see the colors, but that just isn't possible. I have about a two week span during summer when I could go, or now. I'd rather not sweat to death so we planned it for the end of March

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wife and I are going on a road trip from IL to Asheville in the Bronco for a week. We will be solo, and it is the first time I finally get to take the Bronco out. I do not want to get too crazy since I am inexperienced and we will only be able to group with others based on who we would meet out on the trail. So we plan on keeping the rides mostly simple and more about scenery than challenging the capabilities of the vehicle (the bronco is more capable than I am).

Any must see areas? Right now I have Max Patch, Buzzards Roost, Hurricane Creek, and then some that look interesting on onX (this is what they are named on the app) Creekside Scenic drive, Bumpus Cove, No Buisness Knob, Pinicale Mt Rd. (I am trying to keep the onX trail rating at a max of 3, which I think should be fine for a stock 2 door badlands sas). We are also into hiking, so any hikes you think are good, we would also love to do.

It looks beautiful out that way and I've been dying to see the Smokys forever. For the first few nights we are on the northern side of the mountains (Newport) and then for the remainder of the week we are in downtown Asheville. Really excited to finally get back out in nature, haven't had a chance to escape since August in Glacier.
Western NC is probably better known for incredible driving roads than off road, but I'm sure there are some great trails up off the Blue Ridge Parkway and around Chimney Rock just south of A'ville. Depending on the weather, take the Blue Ridge out of Asheville NE 35 mi. up to the Pisgah National Forest and look for the turnoff to Mount Mitchell, the highest point east of the Rockies at 6684 ft. There's a great observation and rest area up there, if warm enough a picnic up there is a great afternoon. Or head west out of Asheville on US 64 through Brevard, Cashiers and Highlands, beautiful roads, lots of waterfalls and great little restaurants in Highlands. Waynesville to the NW of Asheville is a good day trip as well. Hopefully the weather is warm enough to open up the top on your Bronco and enjoy a beautiful slice of America.

Black Stallion

Badlands
First Name
Dejay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands / 20 Jeep Gladiator / 16 BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I second spending a day at the Biltmore Estate and winery. It’s definitely worth seeing, several restaurants on site, taste some wine and just relax.

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jettie Rae’s Oyster House and the Biltmore.

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We go to the Biltmore every year. Did the Christmas thing once just to say we went. Mostly go in Spring or Fall. Steakhouse is great but MAKE RESERVATIONS early.....
There is the main hotel...original...and now the smaller village where the winery, shops, pub and steak house are. Wine tasting has changed a little but still worth the visit. Their wines are not that overpriced depending on your acquired tastes. There is even a great hotel just across from the main entrance to the estate. Very manly in the lobby and great bar. And the rooms are as good as, if not better than some of the rooms at the Biltmore...and slightly cheaper if you are just staying in Asheville for the trails and not interested in visiting the estate. The trails on your list are great. I have the BL/SAS and have never had any issues, except after heavy rains. Some can be a little trickier.
Sponsored