Sponsored

Trying To Confirm If Yakima Lock N Load Platform Can Mount Directly To Ford Bronco OEM Crossbars?

IWDesertGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Dr Badlands LUX+SASQ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have scoured the boards trying to find a definitive answer to my question. Several responses are close but lack validation. Nothing truly on point so I thought I would pose my specific question with pictures. If there is other on point info already posted, please fell free to direct me there.

In checking with 2 Yakima dealers (closest one is 80 miles from me) I left these calls still without a clear understanding that what I wanted to do would be possible with the Yakima (Small - K) Lock N Load platform + my 2022 2 door Ford Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch / MIC hard top with OEM installed long cargo rails + 2 Ford OEM crossbars.

I am trying to verify if the Lock N Load installation as shown in picture below ("A" install - mounted directly to Ford OEM crossbars) is in fact feasible?

QUESTION :
"Can a Yakima small (K) Lock N Load cargo platform be installed directly onto a Ford Bronco (2 door) OEM CROSSBARS via the Yakima crossbar clamps - "A" install shown below OR if the Yakima Timberline TOWERS & CROSSBAR SET are REQUIRED for a more secure installation - "B" install shown below"?

My preference would be able to accomplish the "A" install shown below UNLESS it results in a weakened or potentially compromised installation in which case I will go with the "B" install.

I do NOT plan to load this platform down with anything other than a) 2 RotopaX containers, b) 2 traction boards, c) 1 jack and d) possible small box container (small accessories etc.) - estimate 50-75 lbs max + weight of platform. My drives will mostly be mountain fire road/desert canyon drives and light rock crawls.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions.

Ford Bronco Trying To Confirm If Yakima Lock N Load Platform Can Mount Directly To Ford Bronco OEM Crossbars? Bronco_2Door_LockNLoad_Installs
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Black Diamond SAS - CPR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I currently have a locknload installed on a 4 door with a factory rack. I use the option A you listed with the clamps. I ordered the single crossbar from https://valkyrieoffroad.com/ so that I could move the lcoknload to the back of the vehicle.

Ford Bronco Trying To Confirm If Yakima Lock N Load Platform Can Mount Directly To Ford Bronco OEM Crossbars? rack01

you can see though that the clamps cannot go on the outside rails of the locknload as they are outside the tower ends.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IWDesertGuy

IWDesertGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently have a locknload installed on a 4 door with a factory rack. I use the option A you listed with the clamps. I ordered the single crossbar from https://valkyrieoffroad.com/ so that I could move the lcoknload to the back of the vehicle.

Ford Bronco Trying To Confirm If Yakima Lock N Load Platform Can Mount Directly To Ford Bronco OEM Crossbars? rack01

you can see though that the clamps cannot go on the outside rails of the locknload as they are outside the tower ends.
@LiquidLifestyle - Thank you very much for your response and your picture. From your last comment can I conclude the following :

1. You essentially had to locate the clamps to a little more of the "interior" (non-edge) part of the Lock N Load platform to connect to the width of the CROSSBARS you used?
2. One set of the clamps you used was a) attached to the Ford Bronco OEM CROSSBAR and the b) other set of clamps was installed on the 3rd party installed CROSSBAR?
3. That on BOTH the Ford OEM CROSSBAR and the 3rd party CROSSBAR, the Yakima clamps provided sufficient (based on your assessment) connecting strength for the platform?

Again, I appreciate your assistance!! THANK YOU!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Black Diamond SAS - CPR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1. You essentially had to locate the clamps to a little more of the "interior" (non-edge) part of the Lock N Load platform to connect to the width of the CROSSBARS you used?
That is correct, if you can't orient the locknload with the inner bars front to back, you might also need the expansion pack to be able to position the clamps exactly where you want them. https://yakima.com/products/lnl-expansion-pack-pair

2. One set of the clamps you used was a) attached to the Ford Bronco OEM CROSSBAR and the b) other set of clamps was installed on the 3rd party installed CROSSBAR?
That is correct, you can attach both sets to factory crossbars though. On the 4-door that results in the back seat passengers having an obstructed sky view with the top off. (hence the extra crossbar https://valkyrieoffroad.com/shop/ford-bronco-4-door-rear-cross-bar/)

3. That on BOTH the Ford OEM CROSSBAR and the 3rd party CROSSBAR, the Yakima clamps provided sufficient (based on your assessment) connecting strength for the platform?
for sure, I have climbed up there without issue, and shaking it results in the whole vehicle moving. I have only had my bicycles, traction boards, and hi-lift up there though. Not a roof top tent or anything.

hope this helps

OP
OP
IWDesertGuy

IWDesertGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is correct, if you can't orient the locknload with the inner bars front to back, you might also need the expansion pack to be able to position the clamps exactly where you want them. https://yakima.com/products/lnl-expansion-pack-pair

That is correct, you can attach both sets to factory crossbars though. On the 4-door that results in the back seat passengers having an obstructed sky view with the top off. (hence the extra crossbar https://valkyrieoffroad.com/shop/ford-bronco-4-door-rear-cross-bar/)

for sure, I have climbed up there without issue, and shaking it results in the whole vehicle moving. I have only had my bicycles, traction boards, and hi-lift up there though. Not a roof top tent or anything.

hope this helps
Yes, this information helps a lot!

Thank you SO much!!!!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
IWDesertGuy

IWDesertGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks SO much for the confirming photo! Just picked up my Lock N Load platform kit (K) and 4 clamps so I will installing next week. This photo is MOST helpful!

BTW, I have to ask . . . what's with the "rain machine" set up? Shooting an adventure advertisement with your Bronco? Cool!

Thanks again!

OP
OP
IWDesertGuy

IWDesertGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes the k fits on the two door factory crossbars.
Ford Bronco Trying To Confirm If Yakima Lock N Load Platform Can Mount Directly To Ford Bronco OEM Crossbars? C044738A-C3CF-4FC1-84D8-871F6A598751
Thanks SO much for the confirming photo! Just picked up my Lock N Load platform kit (K) and 4 clamps so I will installing next week. This photo is MOST helpful!

BTW, I have to ask . . . what's with the "rain machine" set up? Shooting an adventure advertisement with your Bronco? Cool!

Thanks again!

Rick U

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes it’s a rain machine. The last rain we had left my interior soaked so today I gave it a 20 minute shower to make sure it’s fixed. All good so far.

OP
OP
IWDesertGuy

IWDesertGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes it’s a rain machine. The last rain we had left my interior soaked so today I gave it a 20 minute shower to make sure it’s fixed. All good so far.
🤣💦👍

Sponsored

Rick U

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also wrap a cord around the leading edge. It reduces some wind noise.
Ford Bronco Trying To Confirm If Yakima Lock N Load Platform Can Mount Directly To Ford Bronco OEM Crossbars? 998EB00A-591F-4451-8BED-FBE4D6F34EAF

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great thread all. I've been wondering about this for some time now, and it now looks like my plan may work. I have a 4dr build scheduled, and I wanted a roof rack that could go between that Bronco, and my Gen1 Bronco as well, for which I already have a crossbar system.