First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been studying the details of the GOAT modes and 4WD options. I noticed that traction control is only automatically turned off when 4L is selected even when in Sand or Mud/Ruts mode. Apparently you must remember to turn off traction control when using 4H (especially in sand) -- even though I would have thought that the Ford engineers would have programmed that logic into the system. I wonder if the traction control programming is altered when in 4H -- e.g. not reducing engine power if there is tire slippage?
Sponsored

OP
OP
billb1000

billb1000

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been studying the details of the GOAT modes and 4WD options. I noticed that traction control is only automatically turned off when 4L is selected even when in Sand or Mud/Ruts mode. Apparently you must remember to turn off traction control when using 4H (especially in sand) -- even though I would have thought that the Ford engineers would have programmed that logic into the system. I wonder if the traction control programming is altered when in 4H -- e.g. not reducing engine power if there is tire slippage?
A few questions that I cant find an answer to:
1. Does traction control include both reduced engine power and application of the brakes to the spinning wheel occur ( limited slip effect) transferring power to the wheels with more traction?
2. If you turn traction control off, does the limited slip effect effect remain? Reduced engine power hurts off-road performance but having limited slip helps.
3. For sand and deep snow, is it better to leave traction control on or turn it off when in 4H or 4A?

Thanks.
Bill

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Traction control is not defeated in 4H even when "turned off", although it allows for more "slip" before it intervenes. The locker also disengages and the stay bar "reconnects" (if equipped) over 20mph indicated (not ground speed) or 25, I forget. I am sure there is some change to power output, but the effect is driven primarily by ABS as far as I have experienced and understand it. The GOAT modes are surprisingly adept and I have found using the right mode for the terrain does a pretty good job, so far (no snow yet, just sand and a bit of mud).

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm actually kinda pleased TC stays engaged in 4h. I could see many case where I might enter the 'static driving mode" in 4L and maybe shifting to $H would help extricate.

The owners Manual states that if you get stuck 'try Sand Mode' I'm guessing there may be some TC input in Sand that isn't there in other Modes??
Sponsored