BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree on pay em and having a high quality workforce. But our dollar not getting anything is to blame on greedy companies trying to post quarterly highs which needs to be curbed. Our country needs to focus more on workers livelihood and less on investors making their next million.
Wait, you think the dollar being worthless, ie runaway inflation, is to be blamed on corporations wanting to post returns for their investors? Please tell me you are not of voting age. And if you are, I hope one day you realize you are getting exactly what you voted for, good and hard.

Oh, and IBTL (or more likely) before this thread is memory holed.
Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Blairwarlock

Raptor
First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover SVR Carbon, 911 GT3 Touring, 911 GT3RS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’m sorry Mr. Smith, but your position has been replaced by AI and advanced robotics. Who, may I mention, will happily work 168 hours per week with no pay, OT or DT, don’t require benefits, never call in sick, are never late, don’t take lunches, don’t file worker comp claims, and are consistent and 100% accurate all day, every day. Oh, since they’re not part of any union, our shareholders are ecstatic because our profit margins just skyrocketed. Our customers (hopefully there’s still a few who can afford our products), are celebrating as we can satisfy all orders timely and efficiently and with the highest level of quality and safety.

This is the only way manufacturing will remain in this country. And if you think the day will ever come when corporations put the interest of their employees before shareholder profits, you need to wake up.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"The only effective answer to organized greed, is organized labor." Good for them.
The only correct answer I’ve seen so far.

No one seems to mention the greed of the automakers, only comments on the workers.
I hate greed and corruption amongst management, too.

Second UAW president sentenced to 28 months in prison in union corruption probe

DETROIT – The immediate past president of the United Auto Workers was sentenced Thursday to 28 months in prison for his part in a scheme with other leaders to steal as much as $1.5 million in union funds for lavish trips, golfing, alcohol and other luxuries.

Gary Jones is the second UAW president to be sentenced as part of a multiyear corruption probe into the prominent American labor union. He is one of 15 people to have been charged, including three Fiat Chrysler (now Stellantis) executives and his predecessor, Dennis Williams, who was sentenced last month to 21 months in prison.

His sentencing is among the last in the investigation, which has tarnished the union’s reputation, created mistrust among its members and led to federal oversight of the UAW.

During the hearing, Jones spoke quickly and somewhat emotionally as he apologized to the court, his family and UAW members.

“I failed [my family], and I failed the UAW,” he said before asking and pleading with the judge for his mercy in sentencing.

Jones also must pay restitution or forfeit more than $750,000, including $550,000 in restitution to the UAW and $42,000 to the IRS.

U.S. Attorney David A. Gardey described Jones as a “good man” who found himself working in a “culture of corruption.” He said Jones is continuing to cooperate with prosecutors “in other matters” involving the union.

Prosecutors had recommended a 28-month prison term for Jones, which was well below a previous range of 46 to 57 months under a plea deal with federal prosecutors. According to court documents, the lower recommendation is for “substantial cooperation with the government deserving of recognition.”

Jones fist bumped his attorney and prosecutors following the sentence. Even though they were wearing masks, Jones hugged and kissed his wife in the middle of the courtroom in downtown Detroit.
Jones, who led the union from June 2018 to November 2019, pleaded guilty in June to racketeering, embezzlement and tax evasion. As part of the plea agreement, his maximum sentencing was nearly five years in prison.

Prison sentences for those charged as part of the federal probe have ranged from 60 days to 5½ years. Ex-Fiat Chrysler executive Alphons Iacobelli, who led the company’s labor relations, received the lengthiest sentence; however, it was recently reduced to four years.

In December, the UAW and federal prosecutors agreed to end the corruption probe into the union under a civil settlement that included an independent monitor overseeing the organization for six years.

Other requirements under the deal include the union conducting a memberwide vote to potentially reform its voting process and making certain repayments, including a $1.5 million payment to the IRS. The UAW has already paid back about $15 million to training centers for improper chargebacks uncovered by officials.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Detroit confirmed a federal criminal investigation into individuals regarding the probe is ongoing.

Homes of Jones, Williams and other union officials were raided in August 2019 as part of the investigation, which was made public in July 2017.

In a Thursday statement, the UAW said Jones’ sentencing “brings to a close a very dark chapter in UAW history.”

“Jones clearly put his personal and self-interest above that of the members of his Union and has been stripped of his membership in the UAW,” the union said. “These serious crimes violated his oath of UAW officers and they violated the trust of UAW officers charged with handling our members’ sacred dues money as well as Community Action funds.”

Last edited:

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bikesandguitars

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak, ‘22 Tundra TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The UAW wants its cut of the profits but they never seem to give back any of their money in the money losing years. The UAW is still getting paid, collecting member dues while the taxpayers are bailing out out their host companies. The bad years are always management’s fault. But when they turn a profit, it’s because of the unions. The math on that will never add up.

And as for the “high quality workforce that someone touted, I urge you to watch the documentary “American Factory” if you’d like to see what the Big 3’s $170K a year is buying.

The price increases to support this lunacy is only going to strengthen the foreign makers. No one will buy a $85,000 Bronco…. May as well start the government bailouts now.

Here’s a link to American Factory. The unions need to check out their competition. https://www.netflix.com/title/81090071

Last edited:

Langwilliams

Big Bend
First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco big bend, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My experience has been the biggest problem with unions is in their eyes their are no bad employees that should be fired.

If anyone cares this was my experience being in one of the postal unions for 25 years:

it was voluntary to join but I did since it was only one hour of pay every two weeks an they negotiated our contract. None of that money was for political use, only for operating an negotiating, there was a separate pac you could set up an allotment to. I never did.

We only saw our union reps when one of the crap bags needed defended. We had 4 guys out of 18 that tried to get full pay for zero work. I swear they worked harder to get out of work than it would have been to just do the minimum standards. It was a game to them an they got off on winning the fight. I was like the majority of the members, showed up on time every day an did what needed to be done. We got pushed around management would push us to make up for the handful of slackers.

All the sacks of crap had FMLA an medical restrictions. Program with good intentions that are milked to avoid work or to call off anytime you want with no repercussions. Many of us were paid overtime daily to deliver mail that the restricted carriers brought back because there was too much, they couldn't get it done in 8 hours an had restrictions to 8 hours. Guys in the national guard were somehow medically restricted. Don't ask me how that works.

bikesandguitars

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak, ‘22 Tundra TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The only correct answer I’ve seen so far.

No one seems to mention the greed of the automakers, only comments on the workers.
Obviously, you’ve never worked on the management side or in an executive position. Profits (which you call greed) are necessary for a company to weather the downturns, invest in new technology, update plants, invest in research and development and, again, weather the inevitable storms - which our automakers seem to be incapable of doing.

Because of several issues, including the added costs if unionization, the US taxpayer has had to bail out the automakers more than once. The Detroit Three’s ability to manage through the regular downturns in business is hamstrung by the unions ridiculous staffing rules, legacy costs and their well documented corruption.

The US automakers have roughly half the money to invest in R&D, falling billions of dollars short of the money Volkswagen, Daimler and Toyota have to invest. Without R&D, the US automakers will, once again, fall far behind their Asian and Eurooean competitors.

As they said in the 1980’s, “Will the last person out of Detroit please turn out the lights”.
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/automobile-companies-and-rd:-top-5-spenders-2021-07-14

Sponsored

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Everyone is talking about production, and yes that will be a pain, issue is that's not the big deal. Big deal is parts. Parts shipments won't happen to the dealers so broken vehicles won't get fixed due to parts not arriving.

Imagine your Bronco breaks, even if the part to fix it is sitting on a shelf in the nearby warehouse, you likely won't get it for weeks due to only a few management personnel filling the shipments. There will be people left without transportation due to the parts issues.

I'm afraid this year could be ugly, as someone looking from the outside in, both sides have some fair points, UAW is correct they've lost ground to inflation and other jobs so I see they should get something, but I also understand the car companies not wanting to get back to paying workers to NOT build cars. I have some hope of profit bonuses to appease both, but current UAW president has been pretty militant about it, and that coupled with the success other unions have had (UPS contract for example), I think he's backed himself into a corner, so I'm hoping I'm wrong but I'm expecting a strike.

BigMac

Base
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150 and a lot of bikes
Your Bronco Model
Base
Who do you think really pays for the increased wages and benefits? we do... all us goobers that pay too much for our vehicles. Ford doesn't lose a dime. So the employees get higher pay and it gets eaten up by paying higher costs for the vehicle and services. What a win. :(

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs