Sponsored

Undercoating, Stain Protectant, etc. offered by dealership ?

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know I'm going to get some grief on this question, but I'm curious: When you guys/girls picked up your Bronco's, I assume the sales person did their usual pitch for ways to protect your vehicle. You know, like undercoating to protect it from salt, stain protectant for the seats, etc.

Did any of you opt for it? What's your thoughts? Money grab and a waste? Worth while?

Let's hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Sponsored

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also something I was wondering. After seeing the new F-150s underbody rust after one month from the factory I am contemplating it.

DrSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am absolutely considering something like a Krown treatment but not a plastic/rubber material undercoating. I've seen horror stories about those.

Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I plan on getting mine oiled by Rust-Kote (odd name if you ask me). I have had my cars oiled by Carwell in the past and highly recommend it if you’re in the rust belt.

Skmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Jaguar F-TYPE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Undercoating? Perhaps.

Undercoating from the dealership? Heck no.

Treat your seats for stain resistance with 303 or Chemical Guys? Yes.

Have the dealership do it? Heck no.

Who do you recommend for undercoating, like who should I be looking for to know theyre a good company to do it

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I know I'm going to get some grief on this question, but I'm curious: When you guys/girls picked up your Bronco's, I assume the sales person did their usual pitch for ways to protect your vehicle. You know, like undercoating to protect it from salt, stain protectant for the seats, etc.

Did any of you opt for it? What's your thoughts? Money grab and a waste? Worth while?

Let's hear your thoughts. Thanks!
NO!
I Haven't undercoated a vehicle since my 1976 Scout, and I Ziebarted a 2003 steel, painted boat trailer. In that case the rust preventive material was sprayed inside the steel box frame members so that would not rest from the inside out . If I did I want rustproofing it would be from Ziebart not a dealer installed undercoating which can be just a sound insulating treatment. A proper rust proofing treatment doesn't just spray a black coating on the bottom of the car. Proper rustproofing draws a solution by hose through all nooks and crannies and crevices in all the doors frame members and everywhere else. In my opinion, modern cars dont need it.

This is an aluminum body!

As far as protecting the seats, you can do the same thing with a $10 can of Scotchgard. IMO

Edit: seeing the comment above about oiling reminds me that one of the Ziebart sales pitches, was that the material was always somewhat viscous it never completely hardened and what they said at the time was it always stayed as a protectant and never dried up and flaked off, perhaps that's why it worked. Perhaps thats why oiling is an option. I've never heard of it.

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m considering oil based protectant vs fluid film - aftermarket. Anyone with experience using either on an off-road vehicle? Will sand just adhere to these types of treatment? I was thinking once a year just before snow/salt. But, I also want protection from the beach salts…

Sponsored

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First thing that i do , when i get mine, it's going to Krown. Up here it's a no brainer...

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’m considering oil based protectant vs fluid film - aftermarket. Anyone with experience using either on an off-road vehicle? Will sand just adhere to these types of treatment? I was thinking once a year just before snow/salt. But, I also want protection from the beach salts…
I believe Krown, Carwell, and Rustkote are all similar and are oil based. I had Carwell applied and would say no, sand won't stick to it once it is cured/dried/ or whatever you want to call it. For the most part you don't even know it's there. I would avoid the sand a bit after application, maybe a week or two.
Btw, .gov used Carwell on all the vehicles before they gave them to the Taliban.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I worked at dealerships for 29 years. I wouldn't do it.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Out of curiosity, why is that?
Well, there is a long answer and a short answer. Short answer is it isn't worth the price you pay. Long answer is the reason it is offered in the first place. Everyone wants a "good deal" when buying a vehicle. The average profit on a new vehicle sale doesn't cover the overhead, so the actual profit on a new vehicle sale (talking about the average) comes from the financing, extended warranties, and stuff like paint protection, etch, etc, etc. I always told folks to not criticize people who you think paid more for a car, or bought the aftermarket stuff, because that helps the average so some people can pay less. I know, some will respond with hold back, incentives, etc, and I'm including that. So, back to your question, like has already been said, there are better ways to get those products if your want them. Or, if you want it and can afford it and don't want to mess with it yourself, go ahead and get it.
Sponsored