First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2023 outer banks and have noted a very disconcerting steering issue. There is a long gradual downgrade with an off camber 100 degree turn to the right at the bottom near my house. The turn is very gradual but decreases in radius. Midway through the turn I suddenly loose steering response with about 20 degrees of steering wheel free play to both right and left. This is at 35 to 40 mph and within posted speed limit. The road is dry and we have not had rain for weeks. There is nothing obvious on the pavement surface. This only happens in one location. Similar instability occurs occasionally during moderately hard braking. Note that I have significant knowledge of vehicle dynamics and handling and have been a high performance driving instructor for regional and national sports car clubs as well as SCCA ice trials and auto cross competitor. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?
Sponsored

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Check to see if your Sway Control is engaged. If you have it.

OP
OP

dwkoski

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, it was on on both occasions . I wondered about this and turned it off after the second occurrence .

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes, it was on on both occasions . I wondered about this and turned it off after the second occurrence .
No change after turning them off? We had a Subaru with the lane centering tech and the first time it activated on me was going into a turn on the freeway. I just about wrecked. I was turning the wheel and nothing was happening. Very unnerving feeling.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2023 outer banks and have noted a very disconcerting steering issue. There is a long gradual downgrade with an off camber 100 degree turn to the right at the bottom near my house. The turn is very gradual but decreases in radius. Midway through the turn I suddenly loose steering response with about 20 degrees of steering wheel free play to both right and left. This is at 35 to 40 mph and within posted speed limit. The road is dry and we have not had rain for weeks. There is nothing obvious on the pavement surface. This only happens in one location. Similar instability occurs occasionally during moderately hard braking. Note that I have significant knowledge of vehicle dynamics and handling and have been a high performance driving instructor for regional and national sports car clubs as well as SCCA ice trials and auto cross competitor. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Lane keeping definitely is a weird feeling. I tend to leave mine off unless I'm going straight on a freeway or something.

But I've never once not been able to steer because of it. It puts up a little bit of a fight, but you can overpower it and it will know that you mean to turn.

There is a setting for how aggressive you want it. I think it's like 1-3 .... You could try playing with that.

Otherwise the only time I've read here about steering giving out is off road when the electric motor gets to hot/overworked.

OP
OP

dwkoski

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
Long Lewis Ford, Birmingham/Alabaster AL. I have a service appointment scheduled but I doubt a service tech can diagnose this as I strongly suspect it is a software issue. I am going to drive down the same road this afternoon with the lane assist off to see what happens. VIN 1FMDE5AP4PLB35143

OP
OP

dwkoski

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
See my follow up post
Please see my thread reply with vin and dealer info
Sponsored