Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, I have had my Kicker Key 200.4 AMP and upgraded speakers for about a 1 1/2 years now. Recently added a Sub and now the system sounds GREAT :) BUT......

I've been thinking of upgrading my current kick-panel 6.5 speakers FROM Kicker CS Series (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC674/Kicker-46CSC674.html) TO Morel Maximo Ultras (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210MU602X/Morel-Maximo-Ultra-Coax-602-MKII.html?tp=105).

I want a better soundstage and more clarity - Worth the upgrade? Thoughts and any suggestions are welcome! :)
Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put Morel Ultra Integra 602s in my kicks (the ones in the floor in the front) and are happy with them.

If you're upgrading the speaker pods, make sure you have the amp to drive them - they sit at a beefy 120watt RMS - so can def take some power.

Last edited:

dangerfoot

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dangerfoot.com
Vehicle(s)
White Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nah, your money is best spent on the dash of that's your goal. And remember...this is a SUV convertible, you're going to have to dump $$$$ in for incremental upgrades over what you have.

Alassise

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dangerfoot is correct. Better dash speakers will improve your soundstage and give you what you are looking for. Now, the kick panel speaker being a coaxial might hinder the soundstage if you change the dash ones to 2 ways as they will compete for sound. I will go with a better 6.5 woofer on the kick and 4 in coax on the dash as long as your amp can push them cleanly. Your budget will determine the outcome.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sorry guys forgot to include this - I do have Hertz Deici Series (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_301DCX1003/Hertz-DCX-100-3.html) for the dash and they actually sound great. I figured I could compliment them by adding the Morels (over the Kickers). But this is also just 50W RMS.

So current setup is:
- Hertz for the dash
- Kickers for kick-panels
- Focal for the rear pods.
- Kicker TRTP10 Enclosure Sub
- Kickey Key 200.4 amp
- JL Audio 500.1 amp (sub)
- LC2i Pro LOC

I followed ALL the proper instructions of setting up the LC2i, then the sub amp gain. Sounds way better now - But I want a more "full sound" (that is complimented by the sub overall). I was thinking the Morels would provide a richer (and fuller) sound. My OCD is getting to me and now I'm bordering on buying an Oscilloscope to ensure Im getting the "perfect combo" from everything.....

I started with my Low Pass Filter on my JL Amp at 80HZ.....moved it down to 60HZ. So - a higher number means you will hear more of the vocals in the sub, and a lower number means less vocals....correct?

Thing is - when my Bronco is NOT moving and I am tuning....right now it sounds almost PERFECT. THEN - I start driving and all the exterior/road noises come in. Definitely not as quiet a cabin as my BMWs in the past......UGH. I actually already added KILMAT to the doors and trunk. That helped a lot, but still seeking something better......

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I started with my Low Pass Filter on my JL Amp at 80HZ.....moved it down to 60HZ. So - a higher number means you will hear more of the vocals in the sub, and a lower number means less vocals....correct?
Yup. Changes the point at which the signal is starting to be attenuated. You'll still get some frequencies over that setpoint, but it will drop off starting at that setting point.

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yup. Changes the point at which the signal is starting to be attenuated. You'll still get some frequencies over that setpoint, but it will drop off starting at that setting point.
Ok good so I'm on the right path :) I use that LPF knob to adjust how much "voice" I want and adjust for distortion.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thing is - when my Bronco is NOT moving and I am tuning....right now it sounds almost PERFECT. THEN - I start driving and all the exterior/road noises come in. Definitely not as quiet a cabin as my BMWs in the past......UGH. I actually already added KILMAT to the doors and trunk. That helped a lot, but still seeking something better......
Well, the biggest way to cut through road noise is more power. The sound deadening will help, but there's only so much you can do on these things - as you note, once you start moving, off road tires and the aerodynamics of a brick are going to do what they do.

I would also note - just because you are putting more power behind it doesn't necessarily mean louder volume. What you are really looking for is sound pressure, not just decibel volume.

May want to look at stepping up from the 200.4 to more than 50W/ channel - you'd likely have to move the mount out to under a seat or back in the cargo area on a molle panel or under the cargo mat though, it will be a good bit larger than the 200.4. The Kicker CX lineup would be same brand name, but there are many options there.

You'd also probably want to step up your speakers to take advantage of the additional power.

Migo

Badlands
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dangerfoot is correct. Better dash speakers will improve your soundstage and give you what you are looking for. Now, the kick panel speaker being a coaxial might hinder the soundstage if you change the dash ones to 2 ways as they will compete for sound. I will go with a better 6.5 woofer on the kick and 4 in coax on the dash as long as your amp can push them cleanly. Your budget will determine the outcome.
This is what I did and am quite happy with the result. I used Hertz Deci 4” in the dash and Hertz Mille Pro 165.3 Pro in the kicks. They are a midrange woofer and sound fantastic in the front soundstage. I was getting more “volume” with coaxial in the kicks, but it now sounds way more full.

I will note that I also have a mObridge amp setup, but even before the amp install, the mid-range woofers made a difference.

Sponsored

jabrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry guys forgot to include this - I do have Hertz Deici Series (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_301DCX1003/Hertz-DCX-100-3.html) for the dash and they actually sound great. I figured I could compliment them by adding the Morels (over the Kickers). But this is also just 50W RMS.

So current setup is:
- Hertz for the dash
- Kickers for kick-panels
- Focal for the rear pods.
- Kicker TRTP10 Enclosure Sub
- Kickey Key 200.4 amp
- JL Audio 500.1 amp (sub)
- LC2i Pro LOC

I followed ALL the proper instructions of setting up the LC2i, then the sub amp gain. Sounds way better now - But I want a more "full sound" (that is complimented by the sub overall). I was thinking the Morels would provide a richer (and fuller) sound. My OCD is getting to me and now I'm bordering on buying an Oscilloscope to ensure Im getting the "perfect combo" from everything.....

have you tried disabling speed compensating in your settings?

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

have you tried disabling speed compensating in your settings?
Yup. I turned off all the "sound nannies" I could find :) I'm thinking of playing with the time-delay switch on the Kicker Key to mess with the sound a bit.....My oscilloscope arrives tomorrow so will also be messing around with that.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I have had my Kicker Key 200.4 AMP and upgraded speakers for about a 1 1/2 years now. Recently added a Sub and now the system sounds GREAT :) BUT......

I've been thinking of upgrading my current kick-panel 6.5 speakers FROM Kicker CS Series (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC674/Kicker-46CSC674.html) TO Morel Maximo Ultras (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210MU602X/Morel-Maximo-Ultra-Coax-602-MKII.html?tp=105).

I want a better soundstage and more clarity - Worth the upgrade? Thoughts and any suggestions are welcome! :)
i went co axle alpines deck pods alpines in kickers and mti tailgate kicker sub
yes amp and processor clear and loud thump even with top off
factory equipped junk was tossed lol

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I really love how my Morel Maximo Ultra Coax 602 sound in my Bronco. They made a significant difference over my stock B&O kick panel speakers.

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I really love how my Morel Maximo Ultra Coax 602 sound in my Bronco. They made a significant difference over my stock B&O kick panel speakers.
Did you also change the dash speakers to Morel?
Sponsored