First Name
4runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I just got my new Gobi Bronco Rack, this thing is HEAVY, it comes boxed up in a large crate, and the instructions are deeply embedded in a box that is strapped into the middle of all the parts impossible to get to these instructions to study and review before opening up the big box and have parts sprawling all over ! And I mean ALL over lots of parts.

I also could not find any instructions online on their website or anywhere. Its really helpful to study instructions before embarking on this beast, I think this is a one day job, its complicated and involves taking off the rear bumper so study before you embark, my hope is GOBI posts instructions to the website.

I emailed Gobi for a copy of the instructions and have not heard back in a few days.

Gobi all in all is a really funny company they try to communicate well but fail. This has been proven to me a few times with my interactions with them. They seem to mean well, but they are stuck in this weird mode of trying to be corporate while still having that cool feel. Its not working very well for them. Boiled down communication is hard and they have all these ambassadors as they call them to help you through all the processes and the 8 month lead time on the racks !

Anyway its definitely a 2-4 man job depending on how strong you are I am still studying the instructions and should have mine on this weekend.

I've posted a copy of the instructions here, to help others in the process ...

The instructions are very well written but the pictures need to be more clear even though they are color. Some of the contraptions they have made have interesting names and sometimes ridiculously multi layered like the wear plate systems they use its kind of funny to read the instructions, a bit laborious, it shows the interesting balance that detailed and not so detailed instructions like the ones you get at IKEA play when writing instructions.
Sponsored

Attachments

tdiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F150, 2012 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Couple of suggestions for you since I installed my Gobi Rack myself (with a couple Buddies) about a month ago.

1. Lay all the Nuts, Bolts, Washers, etc. out in two columns in the same order as they are listed in the Instructions on Page 3 Row G. I used a folding card table to lay everything out on before I ever started installing anything and it made life SO much easier.
2. Get a couple friends to help with the install. Have one person read the instructions while 2 others put stuff together. Plan for about 8-10 hours for the install.
3. Keep a few shop rags close as all that Anti-Sieze will be everywhere.
4. In Figure 20, when attaching the wear plate, make sure the upper edge aligns with the bottom of rubber seal on the Hardtop panel. I aligned mine with the Hardtop molding and it was just a little off from aligning with the curve on the cover plate. No big deal but I'm a perfectionist.
5. In Figure 67, make sure the inner and outer tie brackets are on the proper side of the frame extension plate and the tower bracket or you will have to take it back apart to correct it. Don't ask me how I know.
6. In Figure 83, don't forget the position plates. By this point I was getting pretty tired and had to rework a couple steps.
7. It really helps to have an electric impact wrench, a couple sets of sockets, and a ratcheting wrench set for the install.
8. Take your time, enjoy hanging out with your buddies and if something doesn't feel right when tightening or putting it together, it probably isn't correct so redo it.

Good Luck!

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used Loctite copper anti-seize on my mod bumper screws, running board hardware, and mudflap hardware. Basically any screw or bolt I took off, it went back on with anti-seize.

OP
OP
4runner

4runner

Outer Banks
First Name
4runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you for these tips it will be very helpful ... I figured it would be a multi person job.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Speaking of anti-sieze, buy a real tube (not the crappy packets that usually come with stuff like this) and use it judiciously. It doesn't take much, and it's a huge pain to clean up. And wear clothes you don't care about. There's nothing like turning the inside of your washing machine into a sparkly silver mess.

Sponsored
OP
OP
4runner

4runner

Outer Banks
First Name
4runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Couple of suggestions for you since I installed my Gobi Rack myself (with a couple Buddies) about a month ago.

1. Lay all the Nuts, Bolts, Washers, etc. out in two columns in the same order as they are listed in the Instructions on Page 3 Row G. I used a folding card table to lay everything out on before I ever started installing anything and it made life SO much easier.
2. Get a couple friends to help with the install. Have one person read the instructions while 2 others put stuff together. Plan for about 8-10 hours for the install.
3. Keep a few shop rags close as all that Anti-Sieze will be everywhere.
4. In Figure 20, when attaching the wear plate, make sure the upper edge aligns with the bottom of rubber seal on the Hardtop panel. I aligned mine with the Hardtop molding and it was just a little off from aligning with the curve on the cover plate. No big deal but I'm a perfectionist.
5. In Figure 67, make sure the inner and outer tie brackets are on the proper side of the frame extension plate and the tower bracket or you will have to take it back apart to correct it. Don't ask me how I know.
6. In Figure 83, don't forget the position plates. By this point I was getting pretty tired and had to rework a couple steps.
7. It really helps to have an electric impact wrench, a couple sets of sockets, and a ratcheting wrench set for the install.
8. Take your time, enjoy hanging out with your buddies and if something doesn't feel right when tightening or putting it together, it probably isn't correct so redo it.

Good Luck!
Help two bolts and nuts completely siezed on my while tightening them ! It is crazy I can't even untighten them to back them out. What gives you think ?

tdiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F150, 2012 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Help two bolts and nuts completely siezed on my while tightening them ! It is crazy I can't even untighten them to back them out. What gives you think ?
You can try penetrating oil. The bolts/nuts size because of heat so don't heat it up and take it slow when installing so it doesn't get hot.

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I use anti sieze on alot of stuff at home prevents galling,facilitates maintenance, its messy when it gets somewhere its not supposed to ! Just do the first 3 threads and use a rag with alcohol to clean up .

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Typical galling from not using anti seize on stainless hardware. You probably won’t be able to wrench it off. Will likely need to cut the bolt.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know it has been awhile but I'm mid-job on this. A question arose while installing the isolator wear plates for the hard top (fig 32-36 for those following along at home).

When I look at the tremendous gap formed by the plate (compared to without it), I notice the plate seems to be resting on the body-color bolts attached to the body.

My fear is something will crack as I bolt back the roof. The holes are all aligned with the attaching bolt holes but the sticky gap on the plate isn't aligned with the painted bolt.

Do I adjust the plate or if I bolt it down it will be fine as the directions make no mention of the purpose of said oblong sticky section on the plate.

Thanks to anyone who can share their experience.
Sponsored