Sponsored

Warn Bronco Winch Kit not compatible with Base Bronco?!?

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, I se that also. I was looking at the mounting plate for My Base after it comes in. I do see they say it does not fit First Additions either? There is a member here who did put it on his first addition. Build thread is modifymikes... in build section?

JoshuaPrieto

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2022 Explorer, 2022 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My guess would be headlight requirements for the Base and Black Diamond, neither of which can get the LED upgrades from the factory... but I'm not entirely sure if that is why

As for the First Edition, I have not a clue why they'd be affected

EDIt: Yes I do, sorry - because of the front radar system

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My guess would be headlight requirements for the Base and Black Diamond, neither of which can get the LED upgrades from the factory... but I'm not entirely sure if that is why

As for the First Edition, I have not a clue why they'd be affected
It isn't available on the First Edition because of the Lux package. The winch blocks the adaptive cruise control sensor.

And you are correct as to why it is not available on Base or Black Diamond. It is because of LED signature wiring (or lack thereof). What is so special about the LED signature wiring that makes it compatible while the standard lightning packages are incompatible... I don't know. Doesn't make any sense, so I can only assume it is something stupid.

JoshuaPrieto

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It isn't available on the First Edition because of the Lux package. The winch blocks the adaptive cruise control sensor.

And you are correct as to why it is not available on Base or Black Diamond. It is because of LED signature wiring (or lack thereof). What is so special about the LED signature wiring that makes it compatible while the standard lightning packages are incompatible... I don't know. Doesn't make any sense, so I can only assume it is something stupid.
correct, my fault- wasn't thinking lol

It could be due to light output compliance FMVSS

EDIT: The Lamp Configuration is the reason why you cannot put the winch on the vehicle - it blocks the light projection on the base/black diamond LED light headlamps

(a) Each lamp and reflective device must be installed in a location where it complies with all applicable photometric requirements and visibility requirements, with all obstructions (e.g., mirrors, snow plows, wrecker booms, backhoes, and winches) installed on the vehicle;

the blahblahblah... safety requirement stuff

Sponsored
OP
OP
Little Foot

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

correct, my fault- wasn't thinking lol

It could be due to light output compliance FMVSS

EDIT: The Lamp Configuration is the reason why you cannot put the winch on the vehicle - it blocks the light projection on the base/black diamond LED light headlamps

(a) Each lamp and reflective device must be installed in a location where it complies with all applicable photometric requirements and visibility requirements, with all obstructions (e.g., mirrors, snow plows, wrecker booms, backhoes, and winches) installed on the vehicle;

the blahblahblah... safety requirement stuff
BUT isn’t the location of ALL lights the same regardless. That is why you can swap a Base Grill with say a Wildtrak Grill? Is there any physical reason that it cannot work? Like the winch plate and parts will not connect or the winch cannot be wired to the AUX Switches, etc…?

JoshuaPrieto

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
BUT isn’t the location of ALL lights the same regardless. That is why you can swap a Base Grill with say a Wildtrak Grill? Is there any physical reason that it cannot work? Like the winch plate and parts will not connect or the winch cannot be wired to the AUX Switches, etc…?
The upgraded headlamps are brighter, same exterior dimensions, but the Winch does something to the base headlamps that make them a safety issue for FMVSS for light displacement

I cannot answer that with a promising response regarding placement. The Installation PDF is extremely in-depth so it is hard to say - I'm sorry.

OP
OP
Little Foot

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The upgraded headlamps are brighter, same exterior dimensions, but the Winch does something to the base headlamps that make them a safety issue for FMVSS for light displacement

I cannot answer that with a promising response regarding placement. The Installation PDF is extremely in-depth so it is hard to say - I'm sorry.
No worries. It is just frustrating that there is a solution for a winch on the front of the Bronco that was designed to work with the OEM Modular Bumper, but isn’t considered compatible because of the type of LED light? Seems silly.
Sponsored