Sponsored

Water fording and the gas cap (or lack of)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was watching a video on YouTube (Ozark adventures), And there was a guy with a 4Runner who got a little sideways and stuck in some muddy water. This caused the muck to get inside his gas tank and he had to have the 4Runner towed.

So it made me think generally about going through water and what keeps it from going into the gas tank? And then I remembered that the Bronco doesn't even have a gas cap so now I'm especially curious?

I know there's things people do to increase their water fording depth like extend breather lines, maybe even a snorkel.

But I've never heard any mention of your gas cap?

Can anyone shed light?
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The capless cap is spring-loaded with enough pressure to maintain positive fuel system pressure equivalent to a properly sealed twist on cap. That being said, the "guaranteed" water fording depth of the new Everglades edition is lower than the location of the fuel filler. So if you are in water deeper than the fuel fill point you are already allowing water into the engine (despite snorkel) and the gearcases

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And there are capless vehicles that do not have a hinged cover over the "opening", exposed to rain and snow

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And there are capless vehicles that do not have a hinged cover over the "opening", exposed to rain and snow
Capless AND no door...dang that seems just wrong!
Sponsored