Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So it appears that is simply a false claim that keeps on getting repeated on here.
The 2.3 only on the Everglades is more likely a weight savings thing. It already has the lowest tow rating of any Bronco.
Sponsored

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The decal on the Everglades shows the Safe water fording mark 2" above the top of the tires, the alternators on both the 2.7 and 2.3 will be submerged at the level (see blue line). So it appears that is simply a false claim that keeps on getting repeated on here.
2022-Ford-Bronco-Everglades-decal (1).jpg

fordinf 2.png
It's not a "myth" that submerging your alternator can carry in mud and debris that cause it to stop charging these very electronic dependant vehicles.

The alternator is higher off the ground on the 2.3, that is a fact. If I'm driving through water, I would prefer that my alternator stay out of the water as much as possible. Maybe the Everglades is immune to this somehow... I have no idea.

For me, I'm not driving anywhere that I need a snorkel on a regular basis, and I would prefer (when crossing water) to keep the alternate dry (especially on long trips) instead of having it continue to get wet and collect crap that is extremely difficult to clean out.

Last edited:

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wait, it's a "myth" that submerging your alternator can carry in mud and debris that cause it to stop charging these very electronic dependant vehicles... huh.

The alternator is higher off the ground on the 2.3, that is a fact. If I'm driving through water, I would prefer that my alternator stay out of the water as much as possible. Maybe the Everglades is immune to this somehow... I have no idea. Drive with yours submerged as much as you want.

For me, I'm not driving anywhere that I need a snorkel, and I would prefer (when closing streams) to keep the alternate dry on long trips instead of having it continue to get wet and collect crap that is extremely difficult to clean out.
*Ford claims that the "safe fording depth" of the Everglades is 36.4"
*The alternator in the 2.3 engine in the Bronco will be completely submerged in 36.4" of water
*Ford has never stated the engine choice had anything to do with fording depth

>Perhaps the reason Ford didn't allow the MANUAL TRANSMISSION in the Everglades has nothing to do with it being submerged in water, but to streamline the building process on a specialty edition, at a time when the 2.7, the manual transmissions and the high/lux packages were high restraint items.💡

I also would not like water into my electrical components, however if I'm in 35" of water, it will be.
Ford Bronco Water Fording 2.3L

Last edited:

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.3L.jpeg

[/QUOTE]

So, I edited my first reply because after re-reading it I sounded like a jerk. Looks like you replied pre-edit, so... sorry about that.

My original point was that I would rather have the additional height of the alternator on the 2.3 if I'm going through water for the sake of the charging system.

Sounds like my speculation about the reasoning behind the 2.3 in the Everglades was wrong if 36.4" is what Ford says.

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, I edited my first reply because after re-reading it I sounded like a jerk. Looks like you replied pre-edit, so... sorry about that.

My original point was that I would rather have the additional height of the alternator on the 2.3 if I'm going through water for the sake of the charging system.

Sounds like my speculation about the reasoning behind the 2.3 in the Everglades was wrong if 36.4" is what Ford says.
It's all good, I took no offense, and none was intended on my part. There's no doubt that the alternator sits higher on the 2.3 and I would also prefer not to have it submerged. Looks we are in agreement on everything.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From the 2023 owner's manual.
Ford Bronco Water Fording Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 7.16.02 PM

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. Also the Badlands has 33" inch tires instead of 32". Probably a good idea not to push the numbers in the manual.

Boss Broncos

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boss4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sasquatch 2DR; '78 FJ40; '85 T4R
Your Bronco Model
Base
Our 2022 2.7 Sasquatch on 37s didn't fair too well in Big Bear last weekend! Went through less mud puddles than anyone in our group and killed the alternator. This was the deepest one. A stock 4xe Jeep did better! :mad:

EDIT to add: Covered under warranty with new design. TSB 22-2392.
Sponsored

Last edited: