David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm not sure there is much reason to speculate further, but I will, haha. It was a marketing gimmick or tool. The Ford Bronco was built specifically to compete with the Jeep Wrangler, so Ford picked a number greater than 30", 10% more in fact.

You do not want to use the air intake height as the measurement for fording depth. Water moves, flows, and therefore will rise and fall. If you enter water at an inch below your air intake, you may or may not ingest water depending on speed and terrain. The water will "slosh". It is also heavy and if it is moving, it will push your vehicle around.

Ok yea that makes sense. So it’s not really the fact that a component at lets say 34” high will be compromised but the fact that pushing through the water above 33.5” at a certain speed would cause possible water ingestion into the air intake.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's all of it. You've got a fan that's spinning, electrical components, air intake. You might burn up a fan clutch, injest water, have the fan throw water on top of or into an electrical connection and cause a short. There may be acle or trans breather tubes, etc.

It used to be that manufacturers recommended no deeper than the hubs, because you had to re-grease them. MHO is that marketing is moreimportant, so they decided you can reasonably go 33 inches, or whatever it is. The manual though will say if you do, it is severe service and requires additional maintenance. That's not a warranty issue, unless you dont read the severe service maintenance schedule. So, go deep, but remember to check fluids and re-grease components, just like knowledgeable wheelers have always done.

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M Coupe // Volvo P1800S // Caterham CSR 200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did a google search and found this old thread. My friend has a built up TJ and said after going in deep water it’s good to get your differential serviced because of the water.

is that true for our broncos too?

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did a google search and found this old thread. My friend has a built up TJ and said after going in deep water it’s good to get your differential serviced because of the water.

is that true for our broncos too?
As long as your rear and front differentials are in proper working order, ie., no seal leaks including diff cover, and your vent tubes are high enough then your ok.

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M Coupe // Volvo P1800S // Caterham CSR 200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks Grumpy.
do you know if the stock location of the vent tubes (sasquatch) is particularly high?

As long as your rear and front differentials are in proper working order, ie., no seal leaks including diff cover, and your vent tubes are high enough then your ok.

Sponsored

Mishra42

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks Grumpy.
do you know if the stock location of the vent tubes (sasquatch) is particularly high?
See my thread the diff tubes are actually up near the hood your limiting factor is the fuse box under your steering wheel. After my adventure the alternator hiccuped a little when the auto shut off system triggered and wouldn't restart, but I just did it manually and that went away after I cleaned the engine bay. They're tough cars.

Sponsored

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I feel like (if you're sticking with the stock configuration) a Squtached 2.3L is probably your best bet to have some fording success. Thought I read this was why the Everglades wasn't offered with the V6.

Ford Bronco Water Fording image001

JasonNEK

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and badlands.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel like (if you're sticking with the stock configuration) a Squtached 2.3L is probably your best bet to have some fording success. Thought I read this was why the Everglades wasn't offered with the V6.

Ford Bronco Water Fording image001
I don’t feel I can go off roading with a lot of water or mud. At least until there is a alternator relocation kit. The bronco is a awesome off road vehicle until the alternator gives out. I had to replace the alternator and the 300amp fuse. If I have to replace the alternator every extreme ride. I’m not going.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base

image001.png
The decal on the Everglades shows the Safe water fording mark 2" above the top of the tires, the alternators on both the 2.7 and 2.3 will be submerged at the level (see blue line). So it appears that is simply a false claim that keeps on getting repeated on here.
Ford Bronco Water Fording 2022-Ford-Bronco-Everglades-decal (1)

Ford Bronco Water Fording fordinf 2
Sponsored

Last edited: