First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...I even dodge mud whenever possible because it's a pain to pressure wash later. But sometimes I just gotta do it!
Yep, mud is not fun to clean, but it is fun to play in! I'll generally avoid it now that I've had my playtime.:)
Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? IMG_0813

Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? IMG_1998
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before!
And to split infinitives :LOL:

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
At first blush off-roading appears to be a guaranteed way to damage a vehicle and spends lots of money on repairs. To someone like myself who is completely uneducated with no experience in real off-roading, what is the appeal? Is it simply being able to drive where most vehicles can't? This isn't meant to offend; I'm simply educating myself.

P.S.... Being in Northern Ontario I appreciate access to nature and exploring / camping. I guess that's what is called overlanding.

What I'm referring to are the folks going out as a group in their new expensive vehicles for a day and tackling rocks, mud etc. Every single video I've seen their vehicles are bottoming out on rocks, getting scratched etc, with repairs obviously required.

I can see tackling rough terrain being a lot of fun but thought I'd see what those with experience would like to share.

Cheers.
Personally I prefer to be on foot for a far better wilderness experience, but I think the Bronco is a cool vehicle so I got one.

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

At first blush off-roading appears to be a guaranteed way to damage a vehicle and spends lots of money on repairs. To someone like myself who is completely uneducated with no experience in real off-roading, what is the appeal? Is it simply being able to drive where most vehicles can't? This isn't meant to offend; I'm simply educating myself.

P.S.... Being in Northern Ontario I appreciate access to nature and exploring / camping. I guess that's what is called overlanding.

What I'm referring to are the folks going out as a group in their new expensive vehicles for a day and tackling rocks, mud etc. Every single video I've seen their vehicles are bottoming out on rocks, getting scratched etc, with repairs obviously required.

I can see tackling rough terrain being a lot of fun but thought I'd see what those with experience would like to share.

Cheers.
Best way to answer this is to go do it. Until you do it, you can't understand even if you want to. Ford's Off Rodeo is the perfect way to answer your own question in my opinion.

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It is both sad and profound you ask that.

There is a very famous book called "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle it may not speak to the super crusty among us but it is famous for a reason.

When you navigate into a whitewater rapid, when you have a fish on, when you fully engage in that thing you do to both challenge yourself and feel some joy , some of us take note of that moment, We have no mortgage, no worries, no guilt, no other responsibility. We are totally focused and fully present in a place outside of regret or anxiety. We are doing the thing, and in a way dancing at the same time.

Dirt therapy is still therapy. I hope that helped.

Sponsored

Lots O Fords

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Bronco, 23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There was a time when tackling obstacles that others could not was something I did with my jeep. It was a Off-road it, break it, fix it off-road it, repeat. If the trail was easy I complained.
I feel that it was the challenge, the self gratification of success that you could do it. Sometimes overcoming fear. Getting better at driving your vehicle and simple competition.

I see going out to places others cant or enjoying the great outdoors as a different experience. My 23 Bronco will be living in that world. Just like my 96 Bronco, I have no desire to damage or destroy it.
I have a side by side that damage would not bother me. I still have my trusty Jeep too (1947 Willys "modified").

I also feel that my experience of those challenging obstacles, gives me the confidence to go places safely with no damage that others my cringe. That's why trails have ratings.

When we did the half day Bronco off rodeo in Nevada, I thought it was a nice wide easy trail. My wife and I enjoyed the Bronco and the surrounding area. While my friends in the Bronco behind me were pushed to new experiences and could not believe a vehicle could do that.

So in short I suppose its for the challenge.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For me it's a combination of things...I wrench for a living so alot of what I do w/the Bronco and 4x4s in general is of academic interest, but mostly it's just something I ENJOY! I come from a dirt track racing background, and by comparison, off-roading is inexpensive, low pressure, relaxing, and yet still stimulates my adrenaline! I mean a little rash, a broken tie rod, a busted cv axle? These kind of damages are nothing! There was nothing more crushing than to work all week thrashing the race car together, only to have it get collected in a 1st lap wreck in the heat race...or worse put a connecting rod through the side of the block while leading w/2 laps to go! That's just life for a race team! Offroading for me is like a vacation...get out in the woods, appreciate nature and beautiful landscapes, meet new like minded people, and also improve my driving skills, and the capability of my vehicle! I can take it at my own pace, and there aren't officials telling me what I can and can't do to my vehicle! I can use my own judgement on how I mod my vehicle, or don't mod it at all! Still fun! Could I do all that w/a sxs? Sure I suppose, but then I need a trailer for it and a truck to tow that trailer, and places to store all that junk. My Bronco does all that for me in one package, and if I don't eff it up too bad I can still drive it to work on monday morning!

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is both sad and profound you ask that.

There is a very famous book called "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle it may not speak to the super crusty among us but it is famous for a reason.

When you navigate into a whitewater rapid, when you have a fish on, when you fully engage in that thing you do to both challenge yourself and feel some joy , some of us take note of that moment, We have no mortgage, no worries, no guilt, no other responsibility. We are totally focused and fully present in a place outside of regret or anxiety. We are doing the thing, and in a way dancing at the same time.

Dirt therapy is still therapy. I hope that helped.
This is basically what I was going to say, the low rent version is this: "Rock crawling is like a roller coaster for adults." When you're doing it, and with a group you enjoy/trust, 2-3 hours go by and you've been stressed, survived and are able to leave feeling like you actually did something. And you forget about other things because it forces you to focus. And it's techy, slowing down and solving problems is rewarding, and you get to be outside doing it.

And y'know, bash plates are meant to be replaced. You don't have to destroy your rig. Just avoid trails where they say body damage possible/probable and take obstacles slowly by getting out and walking. See what's over the ridge you can't see over. Walk a quarter mile past where you are.

We live such sheltered lives in America we think going outside is a 5k or marathon, testing ourselves is a Tough Mudder or Spartan, and driving through tough terrain is fun. This is the modern condition. lol

Last edited:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not quite on topic, but where is that?
That is at the southern end of the Tintic Mountains in northern Utah. It's an abandoned railroad tunnel. It's my understanding that it's one of no more than three such tunnels in the U.S. that one can drive through. It's really just a fun, quick diversion while driving trails in the area.

bjpatten

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cheers.
Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? sand hollow1
Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? tqfalls
Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? top of the world
Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? IMG_7654

Sponsored

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Off-roading I do not like. I also hate huge groups of Jeeps and 4x4s going at a snails pace off-roading. You sit behind a queue of them all day just slowly crawling along, parking, getting out to watch others try to get over the same rocks, etc. not a fan.
You should try an EXO Baja Bronco Run. It’s anything but a snails pace. Faster drivers go towards the front, slower drivers usually have their own pace. You can drive for miles and not see another Bronco, until we all meet up, take a break, and do it again. Lots of fun.

Last edited:

Uncle Bob

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I paid good money for a vehicle specifically designed to be driven off-road. Therefore, I feel it's incumbent on me to get it off-road from time to time. Which is a blast!

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still like the RT Trails? It's a contender for my next set of rubber.
Love them! As of now, I'll be getting another set when these are done. Here's the 22,000 Mile latest update video:

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350/2024 Bronco Big Bend (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have not gotten my Bronco yet, nor have I been off roading, but I think with any hobby or sport there are different levels and ways to enjoy off roading.
I have seen guys doing fairly flat off road dirt trails that really look like a lot of fun and will definitely try it out.
My son took me for a drive in his four runner (Reno Nevada) on a fairly mild, but challenging up hill climb to a fantastic view. There was nothing extreme about it, but acknowledged and appreciated that fact that you couldn't do this with a regular sedan or suv, at least not without a higher risk of damage.
The extreme rock crawling sports where you could tip your vehicle over and need all sorts of bash plates and spotters is definitely not for me.
It's the same type of situation with my shelby. There are extreme track guys who competitively race and beat on their vehicles which requires a lot of maintenance and $. Then there are others who do weekend warrior HPDE track days with no competitive racing iwth less risk, less $; others prefer to do road rally's or auto cross which drops the risk factor further along with weartear, and $ , but still have a lot of fun and enjoy their rides.
I will start small and find my niche and comfort zone with the Bronco. Some type of off roading will be involved. I am also excited about going to the Bronco Off Rodeo to get an idea of what is available and where I want to start.
I would encourage the original thread author to start small, talk to as many people as he can and learn about all that is available.
Sponsored

Last edited: