First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well with interest rates rising and the cost of everything under the sun going up it's looking less and less likely that I'm getting my Badlands. When I initially ordered almost a year ago now interest rates were low enough that I could afford the month payment on it by putting ~$10,000 down. By December of this year I'd have that money. Don't really see myself getting a 2022 model and actually counted on that last year when I placed the order for the above reason.

Well, now, because of the ever rising interest rates in financing I'd need $15,000 down in order to afford the monthly payments without putting my family in a place where we have to penny pinch just to make it through each month so I can have my car. I'm just not willing to put my family through that and frankly I think it'd be irresponsible of me to do that as a father and a husband.

It seems, unless the bronco takes another 14 months to get here, it's highly unlikely I'll be able to afford the Badlands.

Not looking for sympathy or anything like that, just needed to get the disappointment off my chest and I feel like this is the only place I can do that because most of my friends and family don't understand my obsession and love for this vehicle. I feel like everyone in this forum understands that love and obsession so I feel like you all will understand how much it sucks.

Thanks for reading, maybe some time in the future they'll be easier to obtain and used ones will not be selling for higher than MSRP. See you all in 2030 if I'm lucky.
What is the point of this thread? A lot of people can't afford what they want. You have the choice of getting your "Man-Card" back from your wife and get the Bronco OR don't. If 1% or 2% difference in interest rate will break the bank and you can't live without a 4x4 toy, then go buy a used Jeep, 4runner or something. Unless you just want people to tell you how great of a husband you are because you need that......
Sponsored

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
As someone who has only bought used vehicles for decades, $30k still seems damn pricey though.
Yep. I'm 54 years old, and have never bought a brand new vehicle. I've spent my life buying one-owner 5-year old vehicles. That way, I'd get a well-cared for vehicle that someone else took the depreciation beating on. I haven't had a vehicle loan since 1994, and since then I've paid cash for everything I've driven. The most I've ever paid is $14.3K. I've been driving my daily driver for 19 years. The Bronco I have on order will be my first new vehicle.

Good luck to the OP!

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep. I'm 54 years old, and have never bought a brand new vehicle. I've spent my life buying one-owner 5-year old vehicles. That way, I'd get a well-cared for vehicle that someone else took the depreciation beating on. I haven't had a vehicle loan since 1994, and since then I've paid cash for everything I've driven. The most I've ever paid is $14.3K. I've been driving my daily driver for 19 years. The Bronco I have on order will be my first new vehicle.

Good luck to the OP!
I'm in the same boat. First time I've bought myself a new vehicle

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it's going to be an issue affording the payment, what about gas? It's $5 now and likely to hit 6 or more by end of summer. What if it goes to 10? I don't have a Bronco payment although I am already at the point where I can't drive mine with gas priced as it is now. I am hanging in there and driving it barely around town. I thought about a second job- but then I won't have any time at all to drive it any way.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Denis Leary has some good advice for you youngsters when you feel life ain't going your way.

We all catch bad breaks but sometimes we have to realize that we created our own problems from the get go and there's nothing to do but go to your Plan B or GTFO of the situation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am I missing something here? I was planning on going CU and the rate went up like .5%. That's about $6 a month...less than $400.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well with interest rates rising and the cost of everything under the sun going up it's looking less and less likely that I'm getting my Badlands. When I initially ordered almost a year ago now interest rates were low enough that I could afford the month payment on it by putting ~$10,000 down. By December of this year I'd have that money. Don't really see myself getting a 2022 model and actually counted on that last year when I placed the order for the above reason.

Well, now, because of the ever rising interest rates in financing I'd need $15,000 down in order to afford the monthly payments without putting my family in a place where we have to penny pinch just to make it through each month so I can have my car. I'm just not willing to put my family through that and frankly I think it'd be irresponsible of me to do that as a father and a husband.

It seems, unless the bronco takes another 14 months to get here, it's highly unlikely I'll be able to afford the Badlands.

Not looking for sympathy or anything like that, just needed to get the disappointment off my chest and I feel like this is the only place I can do that because most of my friends and family don't understand my obsession and love for this vehicle. I feel like everyone in this forum understands that love and obsession so I feel like you all will understand how much it sucks.

Thanks for reading, maybe some time in the future they'll be easier to obtain and used ones will not be selling for higher than MSRP. See you all in 2030 if I'm lucky.
I have just one word for you (and if you have seen The Graduate)

Plastics

No, not that word,...

LEASE

You can get into a lease with 10% or less down and at the end of the lease chances are very good now taht you can buy it out (or resell) for $10k less than the going market price at that time down the road.

Yeah, yeah, internal interest rates on leases are higher than loans and i our state sales tax on monthly lease payments are 150% of regular sales tax, but.....it can get you into the vehicle of yoru dreams at a monthly price you can afford.

bronco2drga

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like a used Honda civic might be the best bet. Not being mean or an a$$, but don't put yourself in a bad position for a vehicle.

Bronco mpg isn't great and if gas goes up further you'll be even more in debt.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Denis Leary has some good advice for you youngsters when you feel life ain't going your way.

We all catch bad breaks but sometimes we have to realize that we created our own problems from the get go and there's nothing to do but go to your Plan B or GTFO of the situation.

Timothy Leary, despite his promotion of the unnatural means to achieve enlightenment also had some telling, insightful words.

“Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.”

“Think for yourself. Question authority.”

“You're only as young as the last time you changed your mind”

Sponsored

TCC

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX -> WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The way things are headed (inflation running >20%/YoY, gas $5 now going to $10?, interest rates going up, etc) best to stay debt free as much as possible, focus on essentials, pay yourself first every month. Sucks I know.

Just some advice from someone who’s now retired but made and lost and made back a few times. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Squatchn'

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base

Put in a new order for a Basesquatch. Much cheaper and you can do everything off-road that you can in a Badlands. You could always re-upholster down the line if you really wanted vinyl or leather. I am extremely satisfied with my Basesquatch and have been slowly customizing it to really make it mine. Don't give up on your Bronco dream, just aim for the lower price tag. You won't regret it.

vb_bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Every additional month you wait is a month where you don't have that payment. Stash the difference between your current payment and what the bronco payment will be, and that's a good start to some extra savings!

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

about the time he gets it they might not be selling for used that much more then new if at all and if he has to pay state tax and fees and interest he might get less ., I know in NV the tax on a 50k vehicle well be about 4500 but I dont know about his state .
True. Good point.

Laws differ by state, but another option is to keep it until the second Bronco is built. Dealers are paying MSRP+ on trade-ins (market price) to get used Broncos to sell at MSRP++. Buyer only pays taxes on the difference between cost of new vehicle and the trade-in value (which they have already paid the tax on at purchase whenever that was). If the trade-in value exceeds the new purchase, there is no tax on the transaction.

It seems odd to think about a dealer paying MSRP+ on a used vehicle to sell a customer special-ordered new vehicle at MSRP... but these are weird times we're living in before the Zombie Apocalypse comes. 🧟‍♂️🧟‍♀️🧟 (Which is why getting a Bronco now is not just for fun but survival).
Sponsored