Sponsored

What’s the right wheel offset for a non sas Outer Banks with a 3.5 inch lift on 315/70/r17 for a good center of gravity?

keester

Outer Banks
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The above is the lift and size of tire I am looking at. What would be a good and safe offset to maintain a good center of gravity?
Sponsored

OP
OP
keester

keester

Outer Banks
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Or if I was to say get Sasquatch take offs, what spacer size should I get

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There is no such thing as "the right" wheel offset. It's as much about aesthetics as it is about performance.

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I imagine tire/rim dimension is less critical to center of gravity that overall lift..🤷‍♂️ anyways, sasquatch wheels are 17x8.5 +30 . So really anything with that offset is gonna give you a little bit of poke with you obx fender flares.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
+30mm will put you at Squatch poke, no spacer needed. Anything less and you'll be WELL beyond the OB flares

Sponsored
OP
OP
keester

keester

Outer Banks
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
+30mm will put you at Squatch poke, no spacer needed. Anything less and you'll be WELL beyond the OB flares
I would imagine since a 3.5 inch lift is 2.5 more than Sasquatch that the wheels would need to be pushed out a bit more to maintain center of gravity when turning at speed.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I would imagine since a 3.5 inch lift is 2.5 more than Sasquatch that the wheels would need to be pushed out a bit more to maintain center of gravity when turning at speed.
This is true... But I do not think you will find that pushing your wheels out and inch or two is going to have a significant effect, or at least one you can actually "feel". Pushing your wheels out with a 0 or negative offset or (in my opinion worse) a wheel spacer.... will have way more effect on the lever arm created and multiplying load on the wheel bearing. Meaning that even a 0 offset will wear out wheel bearings much faster.

The ONLY reason I would ever go to a 0 or negative offset is if that was the only way I could keep my tires from rubbing inside the wheel well.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You’re over thinking it. You won’t be able to tell the difference from one offset to the other behind the wheel. I’m running 17x9 with +12mm offset for reference. Definitely more poke than many would like with non Sasquatch flares. Mudflaps give pretty good coverage though.
IMG_0098.jpeg

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Pushing the wheels out will give you more scrub radius. You will feel 2" or more. It will be more planted and provide better steering input. The cost for this is quicker tire wear,and wheel bearing wear.

In my case I also have 1.3" wheel spacers and a 0 offset wheel. So according to some the world will end. A wheel with a different offset is the same thing minus some extra bolts to keep an eye on,

I love the handling and the setup helped me perform better power slides and in general with higher speed stability off road.

Your pan hard bar in the back can accommodate some additional bracketry to relocate it that will assist with center of gravity especially if your carrying any weight up higher.
Ford Bronco What’s the right wheel offset for a non sas Outer Banks with a 3.5 inch lift on 315/70/r17 for a good center of gravity? Bronco-kenda-2

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The above is the lift and size of tire I am looking at. What would be a good and safe offset to maintain a good center of gravity?
I like having the flat tread part of the tire covered by the flare. With the tire sidewall bulge sticking out past the flare. I think that provides good protection from stuff getting thrown by the tread, while still looking like the tire is filling out the arch and not too inset.

So with stock OBX (non-Sas) flares and 35"s, that would typically mean +30 offset or preferably a bit more. I'm running +42 and it's close to perfect in terms of poke for my liking.

Sponsored
OP
OP
keester

keester

Outer Banks
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Pushing the wheels out will give you more scrub radius. You will feel 2" or more. It will be more planted and provide better steering input. The cost for this is quicker tire wear,and wheel bearing wear.

In my case I also have 1.3" wheel spacers and a 0 offset wheel. So according to some the world will end. A wheel with a different offset is the same thing minus some extra bolts to keep an eye on,

I love the handling and the setup helped me perform better power slides and in general with higher speed stability off road.

Your pan hard bar in the back can accommodate some additional bracketry to relocate it that will assist with center of gravity especially if your carrying any weight up higher.
Ford Bronco What’s the right wheel offset for a non sas Outer Banks with a 3.5 inch lift on 315/70/r17 for a good center of gravity? Bronco-kenda-2
what brand of spacers are you using?

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think the "world will end" comment was directed towards me.... That is not what I said and please do not put words in my mouth..... What you have works for you... GREAT!.....

All I was saying is that every choice is a balance of compromises... For someone to make an educated decision about a choice they need to have as much information as they can acquire. As long as your choice works for you fantastic. It will wear the bearings out sooner than if you ran a positive offset. There is a reason every single manufacturer uses a positive offset wheel. Not a single one uses a negative or even zero offset, durability of the bearings and as you mentioned scrub radius.

That said a negative offset looks great. It also allows larger tire fitment. If you know all the pros and cons you can make informed decisions. I did add my own opinion at the end. My opinion tends to be less popular... That is okay. The reason I stated anything is because most people, and I mean most think that a negative offset is only about looks and has no negative effects.

I have plenty of other choices that I have favored the pros more than the cons.... Some of those choices will mean less durability. I accept that.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Bronco-kenda-2.jpg
Just to make a point... I am lifted 6.5 inches and running 40s.... I am making lots of compromises....

It does just so happen that I am running the stock wheels with a +30

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just to make a point... I am lifted 6.5 inches and running 40s.... I am making lots of compromises....

It does just so happen that I am running the stock wheels with a +30
It's all good, and i would drink a beer with you on any given day. Its just my observation that mentioning wheel spacers in any positive light has always brought out someone claiming they are 100% dangerous in every situation ever, but ignore far riskier trade offs we all make. My 'end of the world' snark was pre-emptive in that regard. We both know a modest wheel spacer isn't all that different then increased offset, within reason.

Its great you offer words of caution when using them. I use them like training wheels because I do want to play ricky racer and do spicy stuff, and the wider stance helps me right now. If I ever get any good at that stuff then I should remove the training wheels. I also rub the wheel well a little. So I guess the other trade off is going up versus out and the center of gravity.

Here's my dumbass on 2 wheels loving every second of it. Happy trails maybe we can cross paths someday.

Ford Bronco What’s the right wheel offset for a non sas Outer Banks with a 3.5 inch lift on 315/70/r17 for a good center of gravity? 2wheel-3.JPG
Sponsored