Sponsored

What it took to get tow hitch installed on First Edition Bronco …

Sndmn

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jk
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This is what it took for me to finally get a tow hitch on my first edition. (Which I still think is crazy it didn’t come with it) My Ford dealer had no parts initially so I tracked down the receiver online for a couple hundred bucks. I took the car the third party place as the dealer said they were unable because nothing was in there system yet to do the job. The third party place wouldn’t touch it either as they said they had no idea what the vehicle had wired, setup etc. After a few weeks the tow wire harness showed as an option but only the four pin. I have trailer brakes so needed the trailer brake controller and a seven pin harness. Even though the multi pin harness comes on the bronco and explorer and f-150 etc Ford had no way (according to them) to install anything but this four pin so I had it installed. They basically admitted they were learning on the job to get this on. I than took it to the third party place and had them take the four pin and install the multi pin and the trailer brake controller. I’m glad I did as they discovered the Ford folks hadn’t even hooked up br lights on the four pin (kinda standard with my dealings with my local service center so far.). All in all the process took about a month, couple hundred for hitch. Hundred for four pin harness. Three fifty for faulty install. So just over seven to get the car one step down from the factory setup. Than 350 break controller and 250 for install of this and seven pin multi plug. Long story longer. Get the tow package from factory. (Much cheaper than the long way around) If not have professional dudes do the install and I don’t mean Ford.

Ford Bronco What it took to get tow hitch installed on First Edition Bronco … D3114CAB-BC9D-410C-8DC3-0D79AB094C5C
Ford Bronco What it took to get tow hitch installed on First Edition Bronco … 3985A7CA-0C75-47CE-8C98-1BADA9A574AE
Sponsored

Socal71

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrak, 2005 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is what it took for me to finally get a tow hitch on my first edition. (Which I still think is crazy it didn’t come with it) My Ford dealer had no parts initially so I tracked down the receiver online for a couple hundred bucks. I took the car the third party place as the dealer said they were unable because nothing was in there system yet to do the job. The third party place wouldn’t touch it either as they said they had no idea what the vehicle had wired, setup etc. After a few weeks the tow wire harness showed as an option but only the four pin. I have trailer brakes so needed the trailer brake controller and a seven pin harness. Even though the multi pin harness comes on the bronco and explorer and f-150 etc Ford had no way (according to them) to install anything but this four pin so I had it installed. They basically admitted they were learning on the job to get this on. I than took it to the third party place and had them take the four pin and install the multi pin and the trailer brake controller. I’m glad I did as they discovered the Ford folks hadn’t even hooked up br
Ford Bronco What it took to get tow hitch installed on First Edition Bronco … 3985A7CA-0C75-47CE-8C98-1BADA9A574AE
lights on the four pin (kinda standard with my dealings with my local service center so far.). All in all the process took about a month, couple hundred for hitch. Hundred for four pin harness. Three fifty for faulty install. So just over seven to get the car one step down from the factory setup. Than 350 break controller and 250 for install of this and seven pin multi plug. Long story longer. Get the tow package from factory. (Much cheaper than the long way around) If not have professional dudes do the install and I don’t mean Ford.
I figured that hassle when I reserved/ordered my Wild Trak. I just received the extension so I can know hook up my bike rack.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m thinking the low tow rating negates the need for 7 pin in most situations. Legally trailer tow with no brakes up to 3000 pounds. Bronco maxes out at 3500. So maybe offering trailer brake system could make Ford liable for overweighted towing? What I wonder is if and when someone will fit a Ranger 7 pin and brake control
Sounds like a confusing mess. Why in the world does Ford not offer a 4-7 pin kit that the dealership can install like the one that comes from the factory?

So you installed the four pin one first and then had them take it off to install this instead: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hopkins-Re...KEwa6eCyfFv1Uu1w4HxoCzSAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Is that right?

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m thinking the low tow rating negates the need for 7 pin in most situations. Legally trailer tow with no brakes up to 3000 pounds. Bronco maxes out at 3500. So maybe offering trailer brake system could make Ford liable for overweighted towing? What I wonder is if and when someone will fit a Ranger 7 pin and brake control
That depends on the state. Some require brakes on trailers as light as 1,000 or 1,500 lbs. Some states have no requirements. 3,000 lbs is the most common though.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That depends on the state. Some require brakes on trailers as light as 1,000 or 1,500 lbs. Some states have no requirements. 3,000 lbs is the most common though.
There is a town near us that loves to pull everything over if a trailer tail light is out. They love to give a ticket for something like that.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That sounds like a hassle. I've gone back and forth about getting a hitch from Ford or doing it myself.

I'm only using it for a hitch cargo basket, so I don't need the wiring harness. Might be a good place to save some money and headaches.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can shop and lock in the dealer install cost if you purchase it with the Ford Accessories online. Ex- Ford brake controller & installation $510

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Think the issue will be on the Ford side the Ford brake controller requires the factory tow package to plug and play, otherwise it is a lot of custom wiring.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don’t understand why this is so hard for Ford. my stripped down Nissan SV had all the wiring there already I just bought a bunch of stuff off of E- trailer, and did the whole thing for under $350! brake controller, relays, receiver adapter plugs
The whole job would have taken only an hour.
if I wasn’t picky about where I wanted the brake controller.
I didn’t like it hanging down under the dash on top of my knee.
So I took apart the whole consul and stuck it underneath the radio ashtray area
why doesn’t Forte just put in the harness like everyone else does?

Sponsored

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a small bass boat with a one axle trailer. The trailer has no trailer brakes. It has lights (parking, turn signal, etc) on it though that are hooked up to the back of the vehicle using a 7 pin connector. That’s what I need the connector for and only that.

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a small bass boat with a one axle trailer. The trailer has no trailer brakes. It has lights (parking, turn signal, etc) on it though that are hooked up to the back of the vehicle using a 7 pin connector. That’s what I need the connector for and only that.
Not the most streamline solution, but a pretty cheap one anyhow. Maybe it’ll fit your needs.
Ford Bronco What it took to get tow hitch installed on First Edition Bronco … BC3697D9-10D4-47DA-AFCE-33A551729855

BOSCOB55

First Edition
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

When ford had the First Edition certified they didn't have it with a hitch. If they had it certified it would take another certification for approval which I guess is very expensive.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish people would quit calling the Bronco a car. It is not.
Sponsored